GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What if????........."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/02 at 16:46
Regular
What if the nintendo gamecube was "cracked" by pirates and made it possible to copy and play gamecube games on the gcube, by some cartridge format or something??
Would YOU give in to temptation and go the way of the dark side and purchase copied games and the needed hardware to play your most anticipated games a few moths early??
You would have to pay considerably less cash for the latest games.
And if you want to stay truthfull, and law abiding, why would you do that??
It would be interesting to hear your replies to this!!
Fri 22/02/02 at 13:31
I agree with most of your points. But we being ninty fans would of course stay loyal to the might nintendo. But what about the other side of the coin? More casual gamers would be totally attracted by the "advantages" of pirate games. Also stupid xbox and other system fanboys are gonna be attracted to it cos of all them amazing games you can only get on Gcube. All they have to say is, "I only got it cos i can get pirates".
I must admit that in the n64 days i went over to good ol Hong Kong and got a playstation, about 10 games and a couple of dance mats for less than 50 squid. And i loved it. Then a couple of years later, when the price was right, i got a ps2 and i'm v. happy with it.
My point is that casual gamers will constantly be attracted to pirate games for now and forever.
Thu 21/02/02 at 22:04
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I agree, that anything can be 'played around with' by all those scientific people and pirates around the world, and that it'll just take time.
I think that it will take slightly longer for the GC didsc to be cracked, but it will be done!! They can already mod. GameCubes for different Regions, why would the stop there??

If I was Nintendo, i'd have a back-up plan for this, even if it is a whole new console! And the same applies to all other console companies.
Thu 21/02/02 at 21:52
Regular
"Back For Good"
Many people think these Optical discs will stop them being pirated, sure it'll slow it down and cause a few hurdles but it's easily possible. I know someone who can copies GBA games by ripping the files and installing them onto new ones, even the roms can be used.Don't worry i don't touch them but if there's a way to encrypt protection then there's a way to hack it, unfortuntly this can't really be stopped and drives up game prices so don't do it!!
Thu 21/02/02 at 21:36
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, I think it's obvious that, in the East at least, the Gamecube will be cracked. Not on the main console, but on the Q cube which is able to play normal CDs.

You see, like Nintendo, Sega used proprietry game medium- the GD. This was not just a normal CD. Instead it was a CD with different track widths. The fact that you counldn't buy GDs in shops, or get at GD writers meant that it was, in theory, impossible to hack the Dreamcast....

But someone came up with the cleverest way to get around this. What you do is you put a bit of code on a CD that tells the console that it is a real GD game. So the console plays it.

Obviously, with the advance in technology, Panasonic's piracy protection will be better than Sega's. However, all this means in practice is that you'll need a chip to bipass certain bits of code stored on the console's ROM chips that make it do the piracy check.

Every console has been, and will be cracked- and the GC is no different.

Sonic
Thu 21/02/02 at 19:24
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
i think sony encouraged piracy , maybe they where the first ones to secretly pirate their games . why you ask ?

it's free publicity , "playstation piracy going through the roof" that could be on page 2 of a newspaper , then at the bottom of the page could be an advert too buy a playstation ,

and also once people mates start gettting mates who in turn have different mates , who can get or make pirated games , then the people at the other end (ie , the first mate) would then buy a playstation because they know they can get a load of cheap games which actually work (most of the time).
Thu 21/02/02 at 19:07
Regular
"Whatever!"
Not at all - I wouldnt even consider it!!
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:53
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'd also stay loyal to Nintendo as the price is right! You can't say no to £40, and if you're a true Nintendo fan you cannot say yes to piracy!

I'm not sure about the N64 though, when it first came out. Games cost upto £70 then, and maybe i'd have stupidly been interested in £30 carts?? But luckily it didn't happen, and Sony fell into the trap, and for some reason they don't really care!?

I'm glad that Nintendo have worked hard to stop piracy, and I think they'd also get up to stop it if it did occur!
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:11
"penguins in hawaii?"
i would stay loyal to nintendo and buy only games that are real. The reason, most importantly, is that the games sometimes are of a poor quality and you would have to get your GC chipped or pay for hardware. Nintendo designed the GC disks so that piracy wasn't a problem, so we don't need to worry about it!
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:10
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
NO!

:)
Thu 21/02/02 at 16:46
What if the nintendo gamecube was "cracked" by pirates and made it possible to copy and play gamecube games on the gcube, by some cartridge format or something??
Would YOU give in to temptation and go the way of the dark side and purchase copied games and the needed hardware to play your most anticipated games a few moths early??
You would have to pay considerably less cash for the latest games.
And if you want to stay truthfull, and law abiding, why would you do that??
It would be interesting to hear your replies to this!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.