GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-box: - my first impressions (after split second judgement)..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/02 at 15:04
Regular
Finally 3 weeks before the release of the evil incarnate, X-branded, oversized radiator, Microsoft have unleashed demo units in several Electronics Boutique stores, supposedly showing off what the "X-box" (or box with x carved into it) is actually capable of, and to that end it would seem it is capable of not a lot.

Firstly, I thought it looked big in pictures inside magazines but when I saw one in the flesh (or plastic rather) I thought to myself "oh my god it's the size of nearly 3 Dreamcasts!" well, more to the point I thought it looked like a poorly designed radiator but the fact remains that it is a huge hunk of crud with an X carved into it nonetheless.

Secondly, The controller, hmmm where do I start? I picked it up and I was utterly confused it was a very poor fusion of a dreamcast, Ps2 and gamecube controller all rolled into an oversized plastic shell, it has to be the worst controller for a console ever designed (even the Atari Jaguars controller looks comfortable compared to it!) it seems to live by the it's own philosophy of "so many buttons yet so little functions", in many of the control layouts in the games about half of the buttons seemed to perform the same action making the whole prospect of pushing a button to find out what it does completley lifeless and uninspiring.

Right! thats the basic moaning about the system over and done with (apart from the crippling price that is) now onto the games, firstly the demo disc boasted about 12 demo's half of which were only 30 second trailers, much to my bemusement Halo was not playable! yes Halo the game that Microsoft and everyone who's played it on Import has been hyping to the extreme for the past couple of months or so was nothing more than a Non-interactive trailer! So I thought to my self right, Halo's not playable so nothing else is going to be even playable, and guess what? I was right (well mostly).

out of all the games on the disc only one was half decent in my opinion, the utterly rubbish games on display were Fusion Frenzy which basically had you "juming over sticks" which I found highly dull and uninteresting, Project Gotham racing, in which the cars handled like ice-cream trucks! and Blood wake, which was original if original means that it is also totaly lifeless!

The one decent game which stood out from the rest was Amped, the snowboarding game which was highly reminicent of 1080% and was suprisingly just as good and had me coming back earlier today to play it again for about 40 minutes! (which even I was quite suprised about!) so even though the X-box has about two good things going for it (Halo and Amped) I would have to say that overall it is all overhyped and overated cack, a harsh comment you say? i really don't think so, anyway roll on May 3rd then we will see "who's the daddy of the consoles!"

Thanks for reading!
slik ~_~
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:04
Regular
"DS..."
Finally 3 weeks before the release of the evil incarnate, X-branded, oversized radiator, Microsoft have unleashed demo units in several Electronics Boutique stores, supposedly showing off what the "X-box" (or box with x carved into it) is actually capable of, and to that end it would seem it is capable of not a lot.

Firstly, I thought it looked big in pictures inside magazines but when I saw one in the flesh (or plastic rather) I thought to myself "oh my god it's the size of nearly 3 Dreamcasts!" well, more to the point I thought it looked like a poorly designed radiator but the fact remains that it is a huge hunk of crud with an X carved into it nonetheless.

Secondly, The controller, hmmm where do I start? I picked it up and I was utterly confused it was a very poor fusion of a dreamcast, Ps2 and gamecube controller all rolled into an oversized plastic shell, it has to be the worst controller for a console ever designed (even the Atari Jaguars controller looks comfortable compared to it!) it seems to live by the it's own philosophy of "so many buttons yet so little functions", in many of the control layouts in the games about half of the buttons seemed to perform the same action making the whole prospect of pushing a button to find out what it does completley lifeless and uninspiring.

Right! thats the basic moaning about the system over and done with (apart from the crippling price that is) now onto the games, firstly the demo disc boasted about 12 demo's half of which were only 30 second trailers, much to my bemusement Halo was not playable! yes Halo the game that Microsoft and everyone who's played it on Import has been hyping to the extreme for the past couple of months or so was nothing more than a Non-interactive trailer! So I thought to my self right, Halo's not playable so nothing else is going to be even playable, and guess what? I was right (well mostly).

out of all the games on the disc only one was half decent in my opinion, the utterly rubbish games on display were Fusion Frenzy which basically had you "juming over sticks" which I found highly dull and uninteresting, Project Gotham racing, in which the cars handled like ice-cream trucks! and Blood wake, which was original if original means that it is also totaly lifeless!

The one decent game which stood out from the rest was Amped, the snowboarding game which was highly reminicent of 1080% and was suprisingly just as good and had me coming back earlier today to play it again for about 40 minutes! (which even I was quite suprised about!) so even though the X-box has about two good things going for it (Halo and Amped) I would have to say that overall it is all overhyped and overated cack, a harsh comment you say? i really don't think so, anyway roll on May 3rd then we will see "who's the daddy of the consoles!"

Thanks for reading!
slik ~_~
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:09
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
...Then there's Jet Set Radio Future.

Microsoft have been able to launch with a AAA title, something Nintendo have failed to do this time round. That's not to say that the GameCube launch is dire, far from it, but it isn't ground-breaking either.

Best games at launch for GameCube? Super Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm IMO.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:09
Regular
Agree with the controller, lifeless crappy piece of junk. But I didn't like Amped... but I do need to play it more, to get a better idea.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:11
Regular
Bleeders wrote:

"Best games at launch for GameCube? Super Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm IMO."

Hell no, Wave Race sucks too... are you talking about the European launch here?

There's a load of much more appealing games than Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:12
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
To be honest, I didn't like Project Gotham nor Amped when I played them on the pod. But then again, I've bothered picking them up, I've gone for Halo and Dead or Alive 3.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:13
Regular
"699 days!"
Slik, there are deoms with Halo, I played it in HMV Oxford Street. To be fair it did play like it was fun, and it looked very good. I also played Amped and PGR there. PGR handles poorly, but it wasn't that bad. Just nother realistic racer. Amped was not good. It was like SSX, even the scoring system, but without the humour added or thrill of racing. Get SSX tricky instead.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:14
Regular
"699 days!"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Agree with the controller, lifeless crappy piece of junk. But I didn't like
> Amped... but I do need to play it more, to get a better idea.

You're right, the controller is not good.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:15
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Bleeders wrote:

"Best games at launch for GameCube? Super Monkey Ball,
> Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm IMO."

Hell no, Wave Race sucks
> too... are you talking about the European launch here?

Yep, I'll put this one down to personal taste. I preferred WR to Smash Brothers Melee, which I went for initially.

There's a load of much
> more appealing games than Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race.

Which ones do you think are more appealing? :)
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:18
Regular
"699 days!"
Smash Brothers is amazing. It just is. Amazing.
I got it on import, and it really is brilliant. Truly.
Loads to do, great fun single and multiplayer, looks great, unlockable thing galore, etc.
Unmissable.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:20
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
DrDragon wrote:
> Smash Brothers is amazing. It just is. Amazing.
I got it on import, and it
> really is brilliant. Truly.
Loads to do, great fun single and multiplayer,
> looks great, unlockable thing galore, etc.
Unmissable.

Again, it's what floats your boat really.

I just didn't get on with it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.