GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DirectX 10 for (slightly) older computers"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/09/07 at 14:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
A lot of the users on this site use Windows XP. I know there are also quite a lot of us on here who use Vista, but those who use Vista are quite likely to have got it by buying a whole new computer, rather than upgrading an existing one.

This news is particularly for those who aren't on Vista yet, or want it but can't afford a new computer.

While Vista does not specifically require a decent graphics card (128MB), you will need a graphics card which is compatible with DirectX 10 in order to play most new, graphically-demanding games. I know a lot of you want GoW for the PC when it comes out around Christmas time. GoW uses DX10. You might have to wait a bit for DX10 on AGP, but you'll still be able to play it.

That's where nVidia are lifesavers. You can get a DX10-compatible graphics card (soon) which runs on the AGP port of your old motherboard, for those of you who don't have a PCI-Express port. This means that, to upgrade for the newest games, you won't have to buy a new motherboard in order to upgrade the graphics card. You might think that's just one part, it shouldn't be too expensive. Well, typically, changing the motherboard will mean changing the RAM, processor and most likely the power supply, as most new graphics cards require a massive power supply.

Well, nVidia have saved our pockets from burning, or will have, soon. They are developing a range of graphics cards compatible with the AGP port on older motherboards. This will mean that you only have to buy one graphics card, rather than a new mobo, processor and RAM as well. You may still need a new power supply though. We'll see.

But thank the Lord! Woo! Now my only-two-year-old computer doesn't have to be completely replaced to play the newer games. Yay!

*points and laughs at all those with new computers*

Sapphire are also working on a similar project.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37790

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display...0521054545.html
Sat 22/09/07 at 22:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
while there are cheap DX10 cards although to my knowledge all PCI-E often they just aren't worth buying, you can pick one up for about £30-40 but you are getting what you pay for, a budget card. (with budget performance)

For around £100 you're much better getting a good dx9 card and getting good performance rather than a dx10 card that can just about run new games on lowest settings assuming you have a core 2 duo or something else pretty quick.

Switching to vista is a huge mistake if you are on an older computer and you want to play games, as vista also eats up more resources before you even start any applications meaning you are getting even less out of your computer when playing a game.

At the moment Vista is a waste of money for gamers, there aren't enough dx10 games and the ones that there are happen to be some of the worst "big" games this year. it's going to be a year or more before most games will require DX10 (e.g no DX9 version).

Get PCI-E, AGP is pretty much dead and there is no point is hanging on to old bits and buy new parts for it just to give it a few more months.
Thu 20/09/07 at 14:19
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
GoW doesnt -need- DX10, it just supports it.

And in my opinion AGP versons of these cards are poor purchases. Games that offer DX10 support put some pretty heavy load on the CPU/RAM as well which if you have an AGP system you're unlikely to have a modern CPU. So you may well be better off with older generation cards which have more raw power.

Oh and theinquirer.net article is dated february, its now september and still no nvidia cards have appeared I think?
Tue 18/09/07 at 14:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
A lot of the users on this site use Windows XP. I know there are also quite a lot of us on here who use Vista, but those who use Vista are quite likely to have got it by buying a whole new computer, rather than upgrading an existing one.

This news is particularly for those who aren't on Vista yet, or want it but can't afford a new computer.

While Vista does not specifically require a decent graphics card (128MB), you will need a graphics card which is compatible with DirectX 10 in order to play most new, graphically-demanding games. I know a lot of you want GoW for the PC when it comes out around Christmas time. GoW uses DX10. You might have to wait a bit for DX10 on AGP, but you'll still be able to play it.

That's where nVidia are lifesavers. You can get a DX10-compatible graphics card (soon) which runs on the AGP port of your old motherboard, for those of you who don't have a PCI-Express port. This means that, to upgrade for the newest games, you won't have to buy a new motherboard in order to upgrade the graphics card. You might think that's just one part, it shouldn't be too expensive. Well, typically, changing the motherboard will mean changing the RAM, processor and most likely the power supply, as most new graphics cards require a massive power supply.

Well, nVidia have saved our pockets from burning, or will have, soon. They are developing a range of graphics cards compatible with the AGP port on older motherboards. This will mean that you only have to buy one graphics card, rather than a new mobo, processor and RAM as well. You may still need a new power supply though. We'll see.

But thank the Lord! Woo! Now my only-two-year-old computer doesn't have to be completely replaced to play the newer games. Yay!

*points and laughs at all those with new computers*

Sapphire are also working on a similar project.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37790

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display...0521054545.html

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.