GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMES MAGS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/09/00 at 01:44
Regular
games magazines - which are the best? well I can personnally say that I think DC UK and Dreamcast Official Magazines are the best DC ones's their scores are fair and there is a lot of competitions - and tips etc. But what about magazines for Nintendo - or PSX - are these magazines any good? Personally I hate PC magazines and magazines that theink they are the video gamings' bible - i.e. EDGE - what a load of technical babble - that surely no -one can understand! - Where is the future of magazines? I doubt if it's onlin - as us humans - we like to feel things - turn pages, and gasp at news stories that are weeks old - we also get confused - that the recent edition - I got Thursday - of DC-UK was the November issue - and yet the date is? ....september still, right?, Well -what do you think? What's your best games magazine - any format - online or offline - I think, this is an interesting topic.
Fri 29/09/00 at 21:12
fair do's.
Fri 29/09/00 at 16:20
I Think Edge Magazine is brilliant I have subscribed and it is the only mag I read, the articles a fair, and the magazine offers excellent insights into the industry. It is mostly read by Programmers (like myself) and it is all about computers ie it doesn't use scantily clad women holding a magazine to sell it. If we want women we would buy FHM. It is better than any other magazine and I have spent hundreds of pounds finding that out.
Sun 24/09/00 at 11:39
I find Edge magazine to be completely full of itself - it practically claims it is a Bible - the Magazine is rubbish in my view - the reviews are poor and do not take into consideration hardly any of the games features and strong points. Edge also think they are some sort of Good magazine - just because they print technically complicated words etc - techno babble. I hate the magazine - it is pricy and contains little relevant Info.

Oh, Yes.
Sun 24/09/00 at 10:56
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Some of the UK based publications are bearable, but magazines like ONM are just plain pathetic.

I only purchase Edge and Electronic Gaming Monthly. Two fairly decent magazines.

-Bleeders
Sat 23/09/00 at 22:24
Regular
Isn't ONM, NOM. Yeah NOM is good, but crap at times.
They have some cool features in it too ( except the pokemon collectors guide). Plus it's easier to find what your looking for and full lowdown of the games they've reviewed.
PC Gamer is good as well, the demo disk is a brilliant idea. I used to buy PC Zone as well because of the disk, I remember it had Lara Crofts b$%& in it.
Sat 23/09/00 at 22:15
Regular
"Walking Stick Neede"
I think outta all the magazines i have brought that PC Gamer is the best.

I have brought and still buy, Offical Dreamcast mag, Offical Nintendo mag and Pc Gamer.

ODM is good because it has a demo disk and some good stuff in the mag. But it is bad for magazine features.

ONM is great, i use to buy it all the time but not anymore, they are really truthal about what they say and have some really cool features.

But PC Gamer is really good as it combines Demo disc, with a brill mag (loadsa pages). It has everything u need for your PC on it!!!!! but i don't get it anymore as the demos don't work as my pc is getting old!!!
Sat 23/09/00 at 15:43
Regular
Pc magazine: PC Gamer, the only one you need. Excellent reviews, and very strict.
Nintendo magazine: None. They are all crap, to put it simply.
Dreamcast: Offical one. I'm only saying this because I nearly brought it the other day, even though I don't actually have a Dreamcast.
Going back to the Nintendo mag, not only are they childish (doing nothing for Nintendos reputation, but they are EXTREMELY biased, they all review games as if they are in direct competition with other consoles, so they can show how many games get high reviews.
My way of working out a decent review in NOM, is to take away 50 from the score, and then times by 2.
So Zelda got 97, the Grix score would be...

94. Still good, but not stupid.
Next: Rampage got something like 56, so I would give it...
12. See, it does work.
Unfortunatly, anything under 50, will get a negative number, but if its that bad anyway, you aren't gonna really care are you?
Sat 23/09/00 at 14:31
Regular
"Whatever!"
I seem to spend a fortune on game magazines each month, but they are all well worth the read.
I have to say that the Official Dreamcast mag is the best out the lot. They are honest about everything, give worthy reviews and have an excellent preview section.
PSW is the Playstation mag I read each month. Again it is very honest about rating games and has much more pages than other mags.
I usually prefer N64 magazine over the Official Nintendo Mag. I find with the official one they are a bit too generous with there scores. They have excellent tips but also seem to treat the readers like eight years old, I mean Greystation poo, Dreampants.....come on. Cool free Game Boy mag though.
The best multiformat mag I think is Gamesmaster although they always seem to be rather slack with the most up to date news, they do however cover basically every game worth covering. It helps that they are not bias towards this or that.
Computer and Video Games is alright, but after getting four or five mags a month this isnt really worth it. I cant see how they can rate a game out of 1 to 5 either.
Sat 23/09/00 at 08:50
For Nintendo: If you want an official mag which all the cheats in it work and all the information is correct get "Nintendo Official Magazine"

If you want a slightly less biased magazine then get "N64 Magazine" because it does feature much more than just N64 and it's great!
Sat 23/09/00 at 01:44
games magazines - which are the best? well I can personnally say that I think DC UK and Dreamcast Official Magazines are the best DC ones's their scores are fair and there is a lot of competitions - and tips etc. But what about magazines for Nintendo - or PSX - are these magazines any good? Personally I hate PC magazines and magazines that theink they are the video gamings' bible - i.e. EDGE - what a load of technical babble - that surely no -one can understand! - Where is the future of magazines? I doubt if it's onlin - as us humans - we like to feel things - turn pages, and gasp at news stories that are weeks old - we also get confused - that the recent edition - I got Thursday - of DC-UK was the November issue - and yet the date is? ....september still, right?, Well -what do you think? What's your best games magazine - any format - online or offline - I think, this is an interesting topic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.