GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VIP FTP connection issue"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/07/12 at 12:29
Regular
VIP web hosting issue

Hi there,
I am a newbie to wordpress and although I installed that using Filezilla OK, this plugin does not want to install using the WP plugin intallation option from the dashboard. I have checked with my server (Freeola.net) and they say things are OK at their end. Basically, what is happening is that it will not connect to my server and comes up with the error:-
Failed to connect to FTP Server freeola.net:21
To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host.
Hostname ********
FTP Username ********
FTP Password ********
Connection Type USED FTP NOT FTPS (SSL)
The response was:-
That all looks fine and the details are in fact correct. As stated, it is probably worth checking to ensure that your firewall and security software are not blocking port 21 or specifically your FTP program.
It may also be worth trying an alternative FTP program just to see if the same log in error occurs. I would recommend FileZilla as this will give more information as to the reason for failure.
My operating system is Linux Mint, browser Firefox, and as far as I am aware, I do not have any firewall or security software running to cause this problem. If there are issues with this, can I use Filezilla to install the plugin?
Many thanks for any help, Rob H
Sun 29/07/12 at 17:20
"Are you sure?"
robh wrote:
I am using the inbuilt plugin updater with WordPress...

Have you had a look at Freeola's Installing WordPress with Freeola quide in case that helps?

It mentions version 2.7 but hopefully it's still relevant with 3.4.1

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 29/07/12 at 16:40
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
robh wrote:
VIP web hosting issue

Have you edited the server name prior to posting your problem?

If not, then it looks like you're trying to connect to a non existant server - you'll need to ensure that your server name reads as:
vipX.freeola.net (where X is the number of the server that your site is on)

If you need to find the FTP settings, they're accessible from the VIP Web Hosting section of your MyFreeola account - just click the 'Go To Settings'
Sun 29/07/12 at 15:26
Regular
Thanks for that. I had already seen the post, but it meant nothing to me. I am using the inbuilt plugin updater with WordPress and as far as I am aware, there are no settings that I can tweak in this respect.

Cheers RobH
Sat 28/07/12 at 20:37
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi robh and welcome to the forums ...

I'm no expert but a recent thread may suggest that 'port 21' isn't required ...

FTP error
Sat 28/07/12 at 12:29
Regular
VIP web hosting issue

Hi there,
I am a newbie to wordpress and although I installed that using Filezilla OK, this plugin does not want to install using the WP plugin intallation option from the dashboard. I have checked with my server (Freeola.net) and they say things are OK at their end. Basically, what is happening is that it will not connect to my server and comes up with the error:-
To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host.
Hostname ********
FTP Username ********
FTP Password ********
Connection Type USED FTP NOT FTPS (SSL)
The response was:-
That all looks fine and the details are in fact correct. As stated, it is probably worth checking to ensure that your firewall and security software are not blocking port 21 or specifically your FTP program.
It may also be worth trying an alternative FTP program just to see if the same log in error occurs. I would recommend FileZilla as this will give more information as to the reason for failure.
My operating system is Linux Mint, browser Firefox, and as far as I am aware, I do not have any firewall or security software running to cause this problem. If there are issues with this, can I use Filezilla to install the plugin?
Many thanks for any help, Rob H

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.