GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just a few questions about Vista"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/09/07 at 11:52
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I trust I've put this topic in the right place. Anyway, quick and simple:

1. I'm currently running XP SP2 and am thinking of upgrading to Vista Home Premium. What's the difference between the Upgrade edition and the full edition?

2. Can I upgrade using an in-place install with the full edition, or do I have to buy the upgrade edition to upgrade without losing my current configuration?

3. I've heard that, unlike previous versions of Windows, Vista doesn't have an Uninstall feature in the Control Panel if you want/need to go back to your previous OS. Is this true?

4. If it is true, does it mean I will lose everything if I wanted to go back to XP, even if I don't format the drive?

5. DirectX 10 is only supported by PCI-E graphics cards, correct?

I think that's all. If I think of any more, I'll post.
Tue 18/09/07 at 11:52
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I trust I've put this topic in the right place. Anyway, quick and simple:

1. I'm currently running XP SP2 and am thinking of upgrading to Vista Home Premium. What's the difference between the Upgrade edition and the full edition?

2. Can I upgrade using an in-place install with the full edition, or do I have to buy the upgrade edition to upgrade without losing my current configuration?

3. I've heard that, unlike previous versions of Windows, Vista doesn't have an Uninstall feature in the Control Panel if you want/need to go back to your previous OS. Is this true?

4. If it is true, does it mean I will lose everything if I wanted to go back to XP, even if I don't format the drive?

5. DirectX 10 is only supported by PCI-E graphics cards, correct?

I think that's all. If I think of any more, I'll post.
Tue 18/09/07 at 12:08
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Can't help with most of that, but most likely if you want to revert to XP, the only way will be to format the partition with Vista on and install XP onto it.
If you keep your OS and data on the same partition/drive then that will involve losing everything. If you have a fair amount of free space I'd look into either separating your data and OS onto different partitions (this is generally good practice anyway, in my opinion), or setting up a dual boot with XP and Vista.
But having said that, I never knew previous versions of Windows could be 'uninstalled' so I could be wrong.

Oh and I think NVidia are supporting DX10 on AGP cards.
Thu 20/09/07 at 13:09
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Cheers Bob. But I would like a bit more input from other people too to get a better idea about this.

It's good that NVidia have AGP cards than run on DX10 because then I don't have to build a whole new PC just to upgrade the graphics card.

Putting Vista and XP into a dual-boot isn't really what I want to do though, because it'll pretty much half what each OS has to play with in terms of hard drive space, and also because I'll only be able to use one at a time, so I'd rather have one or the other. I have two hard drives, 120GB and 160GB, both of which are about 50% full, but I don't want to touch the second one because that's where I keep all my precious files, out of the way of where Windows is actually installed so that I don't lose it if anything goes wrong.
Thu 20/09/07 at 13:51
"Are you sure?"
From what I've read about Vista upgrades they don't seem to always go very smoothly! An upgrade will never be as 'clean' as a new install.

If it was me, I would be inclined to format my drive and then do a full install from scratch.

Obviously backing up my data first!!!

Then reinstall the applications (making sure they are Vista compatible) and move the data back.

This [URL]http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2089952,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532[/URL] might help you decide - "Vista Performance Shootout: Upgrade Vs. Clean Installation"

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 20/09/07 at 14:32
Regular
my tuppence worth ....when i get a copy of vista i will wait untill its on its second release! as in all other operating systems that have been in this house its the later versions that are more stable eg Windows 98SE was a zillion times better than 98 and XP with service pack 2 was better than XP so I will wait a few months yet before I dive into XP. I also hear from friends who have Vista that they have many problems with software incompatability and a lack of driver support for older hardware.

kev
Thu 20/09/07 at 15:10
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Yes, hardware support is on my mind too.

I have the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor installed on my XP-based computer at the moment, and it tells me that my CanoScan LiDE 20 scanner won't work with Vista. It doesn't say there's no information, it says it won't work. However, there is a driver on Canon's website which says it's for Vista, and even after installing that on XP, the VUA still says it won't work.

Ditto for my two-month old printer, Epson Stylus D78, but with the printer, it says there's no information available rather that "this device won't work with Vista". So I went to Epson's site and downloaded the apparently Vista-compatible driver for it, but the installer didn't seem to install a driver - it installed Microsoft Journal Viewer, and VUA's message about the printer not having any info has not changed.

The printer expresses the same description as my wireless LAN card too, which is the most used piece of hardware on my computer, aside from the mandatory stuff like the processor. If I can't get on the web, I'm buggered really.

The thought of waiting until the release of SP1 for Vista has also crossed my mind, and I think I've decided to wait until then before getting Vista. I made that decision about 5 minutes ago. Apparently it's supposed to be released around about the start of 2008, so I guess I can hang on until then.
Thu 20/09/07 at 15:37
Regular
Yeah 2008 is approaching all to quickly ! ! have you been to a supermarket lately? our local store has selection boxes cards etc on sale already and it gets worse, our local Boots has creame eggs on sale!
Thu 20/09/07 at 18:19
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The LIDE20 will work on Vista. It worked fine on my 32bit Ultimate edition anyway. My Epson R300 worked with the built in Vista driver as there is none listed on Epsons site. I don't think I had any trouble installing hardware in the end.
Fri 21/09/07 at 18:41
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
So what's the difference between the upgrade version and the full version? Can I not do an in-place upgrade with the full version?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.