GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Frustration"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/02/02 at 21:00
Regular
Has anyone actually completed a game? But your hands up please. I see quite a lot of you have "completed a game" but have you really completed a game. Have you done every single thing in that game you are suppose to? Have you got that very difficult to get to 100%? Considerably less people now have their hands up - maybe even no one have their hands up.

This is gaming frustration. No matter how good you are at a game there is an obstacle that prevents you from completing the game fully. That is my theory. Whether it's collecting items, finishing a level, completing a mission or challenge or difficulty I'm sure no one has finished a game.

Take Max Payne for example. Great game but when you complete the game once in whatever difficulty you choose probably Easy or medium did you try hard? No. Did you complete those New York Minute missions? Probably not. I couldn't be bothered to play the game again so I certainly didn't. Gaming Frustration Number 1: Lack of Motive

Zelda Ocarina of the Time. You may have beaten Ganon but did you collect all those Gold Skulltalas? Probably not. I couldn't find the last five in those areas pointed out on the map so I gave up. Gaming Frustration Number 2: Boredom

Donkey Kong 64. Did you complete the game with all those gold bananas, and with the two medals? I got close. I thought I was the best at that game. I thought I was going to get 100% for the first time ever. I think in the end I gave up at 97%. I could not do Donkey Kong Arcade however hard I tried or wanted to. In my opinion that was unfair expecting you to do that to fight the last boss as I hate arcade games, yet I was brilliant at DK64 itself in my own opinion. Gaming Frustration Number 3: Difficulty.

I'm now playing Grand Theft Auto 3 and am suffering from all three gaming frustrations. I cannot do the mission GRIPPED! no matter how hard I try. Some rampages I just cannot find. I have boredom stopping me doing those ambulance missions. I've only done 60 odd and I can't get any higher than level 9 of the paramedic missions - way too difficult. I get frustrated as try and get a higher level.

Ever shouted at your computer? Ever angrily shown frustration at it. This happens in nearly every game. Gran Turismo 3 - I'm frustrated with myself whenever I spin around a corner badly and go from first place to last. I'm frustrated with the computer when it stops me from doing stuff that I have not much control over. A Yardie on GTA3 pulled me out of my ambulance while I was picking up an injured man and the missions automatically finished - I was on level 6! How frustrating is that. Another time I was on level 9 and unluckily ran over a patient as he got out my ambulance. Then another time my car gets shot at by Columbian Cartel gang members. THE FRUSTRATION! It makes you hit your pillow with your fist, throw your controller on the floor, or as my approach is in GTA3 take out all that anger on one of the innocent pedestrians or even better the people who caused you that frustration. I must have blown up about 50 Cartel Cruisers after they cost me that mission singlehandedly with my tank. I also have a lack of motive to find those Unique Stunts. I won't get anything from them and can't find them so why try?

It's an interesting thing. How do games developers always manage to stick a huge obstacle in front of you that you just won't be able to complete no matter how hard you try? Some people just aren't capable of doing some tasks. That's why we have cheats and walkthroughs. Do we really need them though?

Yes they have their pros. They give us a huge challenge, that takes up our time, hence compensating for the whole point of the game - to entertain us and keep us occupied with a challenge. If there is no challenge is it a game? But is it wrong for developers giving us hard challenges that we cannot complete? Is it unfair to only allow good gamers access to things only accessible through their own gaming brilliance? Take Goldeneye for example. I could not get invincibility by doing that Facility level. Some people could. Was it fair for Rare to prevent me from getting that cheat when I wasn't so good at gaming, yet allow better gamers to get it no problem?

So I'll ask again how many people here have completed a game 100%? And is such a target achievable? Or should gaming developers dumb their games down a bit?

I'm not totally sure. I love a challenge at times but will always be frustrated by ones I cannot do yet I hate not finishing a game completely....
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:00
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Has anyone actually completed a game? But your hands up please. I see quite a lot of you have "completed a game" but have you really completed a game. Have you done every single thing in that game you are suppose to? Have you got that very difficult to get to 100%? Considerably less people now have their hands up - maybe even no one have their hands up.

This is gaming frustration. No matter how good you are at a game there is an obstacle that prevents you from completing the game fully. That is my theory. Whether it's collecting items, finishing a level, completing a mission or challenge or difficulty I'm sure no one has finished a game.

Take Max Payne for example. Great game but when you complete the game once in whatever difficulty you choose probably Easy or medium did you try hard? No. Did you complete those New York Minute missions? Probably not. I couldn't be bothered to play the game again so I certainly didn't. Gaming Frustration Number 1: Lack of Motive

Zelda Ocarina of the Time. You may have beaten Ganon but did you collect all those Gold Skulltalas? Probably not. I couldn't find the last five in those areas pointed out on the map so I gave up. Gaming Frustration Number 2: Boredom

Donkey Kong 64. Did you complete the game with all those gold bananas, and with the two medals? I got close. I thought I was the best at that game. I thought I was going to get 100% for the first time ever. I think in the end I gave up at 97%. I could not do Donkey Kong Arcade however hard I tried or wanted to. In my opinion that was unfair expecting you to do that to fight the last boss as I hate arcade games, yet I was brilliant at DK64 itself in my own opinion. Gaming Frustration Number 3: Difficulty.

I'm now playing Grand Theft Auto 3 and am suffering from all three gaming frustrations. I cannot do the mission GRIPPED! no matter how hard I try. Some rampages I just cannot find. I have boredom stopping me doing those ambulance missions. I've only done 60 odd and I can't get any higher than level 9 of the paramedic missions - way too difficult. I get frustrated as try and get a higher level.

Ever shouted at your computer? Ever angrily shown frustration at it. This happens in nearly every game. Gran Turismo 3 - I'm frustrated with myself whenever I spin around a corner badly and go from first place to last. I'm frustrated with the computer when it stops me from doing stuff that I have not much control over. A Yardie on GTA3 pulled me out of my ambulance while I was picking up an injured man and the missions automatically finished - I was on level 6! How frustrating is that. Another time I was on level 9 and unluckily ran over a patient as he got out my ambulance. Then another time my car gets shot at by Columbian Cartel gang members. THE FRUSTRATION! It makes you hit your pillow with your fist, throw your controller on the floor, or as my approach is in GTA3 take out all that anger on one of the innocent pedestrians or even better the people who caused you that frustration. I must have blown up about 50 Cartel Cruisers after they cost me that mission singlehandedly with my tank. I also have a lack of motive to find those Unique Stunts. I won't get anything from them and can't find them so why try?

It's an interesting thing. How do games developers always manage to stick a huge obstacle in front of you that you just won't be able to complete no matter how hard you try? Some people just aren't capable of doing some tasks. That's why we have cheats and walkthroughs. Do we really need them though?

Yes they have their pros. They give us a huge challenge, that takes up our time, hence compensating for the whole point of the game - to entertain us and keep us occupied with a challenge. If there is no challenge is it a game? But is it wrong for developers giving us hard challenges that we cannot complete? Is it unfair to only allow good gamers access to things only accessible through their own gaming brilliance? Take Goldeneye for example. I could not get invincibility by doing that Facility level. Some people could. Was it fair for Rare to prevent me from getting that cheat when I wasn't so good at gaming, yet allow better gamers to get it no problem?

So I'll ask again how many people here have completed a game 100%? And is such a target achievable? Or should gaming developers dumb their games down a bit?

I'm not totally sure. I love a challenge at times but will always be frustrated by ones I cannot do yet I hate not finishing a game completely....
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:05
"penguins in hawaii?"
I feel the same way. I'm stuck on oracle of seasons at the moment- i don't know how to get through the lost woods. Does anyone know how?
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:07
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've completed Crash Team Racing fully. Damn, it felt good when I finished it.
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:10
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Grandprix wrote:
> I've completed Crash Team Racing fully. Damn, it felt good when I finished it.

Really? Was it a short game or was it a really long game with loads of extra things to do? If it's the latter I admire you. If the first it's not really the same...

Game developers are evil in my opinion. I respected Rare till they made me play on Donkey Kong arcade and would only let me win the game if I could complete the arcade game... Now they torment me in my sleep :/
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:11
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
saviour of sheep wrote:
> I feel the same way. I'm stuck on oracle of seasons at the moment- i don't know
> how to get through the lost woods. Does anyone know how?

A boy in my class was stuck in the same place. I showed him to a website I found on google and it had the solution he was looking for. Sadly didn't read that solution myself though :/
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:12
"penguins in hawaii?"
do you know the website?
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:13
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
There were a load of other things to do, like getting Platinum on all the relics and beating two sets of ghost cars in time trial. Those ghost cars are hard to beat but they really improve your driving.
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:16
Regular
"Simpsons Guy"
Yes you are right the only game I can remember completing was Dk for the nintendo 64 I was on 99% and the fough King K Rule and that was the last percent.
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:19
Surely then a truly great game would be one that you would happily play through over and over until you had done absolutely everything.
If anyone knows a game like that PLEASE let me know.
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:26
"penguins in hawaii?"
donkey kong 3 on the SNES- you have to get 120%. its hard

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.