GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bio engineered"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/12/02 at 22:24
Regular
So many games now hype themselves as the height of interaction. But still, very few games have more input devices than your simple controller (be it in the form of a control pad, a steering wheel, a light gun, or a mouse and keyboard). But what if we could interact with a game without even knowing it?

Enter Bio Feedback. Follow this link for more information:
http://ign64.ign.com/articles/154/154081p1.html

The link describes and includes a picture of a bio feedback device used on the N64 for a tetris game. It was clipped onto the ear lobe and measured heart rate. Now in this game it was used in a relatively simple way, increasing or decreasing (depending on mode selected) the speed that blocks fell with an increasing heart rate.

So why not use something like this for more games? Having been playing a fair amount of Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil recently I’ve come up with a fair few ideas. For example, probably the scariest parts of Eternal Darkness for me were the ghosts and bodies you found wandering around the Mansion as Alex. When I inspected the bath in the mansion for the first time it scared the hell out of me! Similarly, the ghost maid was pretty creepy. But rather than seeing these at pre-set times or when you inspect certain objects, how about when your heart rate is soaring, when you are the most nervous. Imagine being spooked by something, but then you begin to calm down a little and the camera suddenly pans around Alex to reveal an apparition of herself killed in some grizzly way, accompanied by a loud shriek. This would mean the scares felt less scripted, and each player would have a more unique experience. The game could also have a large number of this type of scare programmed into the game, and only a certain number used each time the game was played through, to give varying experiences (and scares) each time you played.

Similarly, Resident Evil could use this in some situations, such as when zombies are trying to open doors, and to stop ‘dead’ zombies getting up as crimson heads until the player is suitably nervous, or perhaps even better, not at all nervous, so therefore not expecting it.

Theoretically, this could allow the game to test what kind of things spooked the player most, so use the most effective methods to scare them. Unfortunately, only ‘shock’ scares would raise heart rate, so it would not work with the ‘disturbing’ kind of scares Eternal Darkness used.

But this should not be limited to scaring you. It could be used to change your character attributes in game, for example, in a beat ‘em up, making your character stronger and quicker as ‘you’ have a higher heart rate and are more energised. Again, for first person shooters, a high heart rate could make you run faster, but have slightly wobbly sights due to ‘you’ being nervous. And that’s without touching on the possibility of ‘Bullet Time’ or whatever you’d like to call it. Adrenaline rushes (which will cause very high heart rate) will often make you feel more like you can do anything (whether playing a game or not) and in-game are often the reason we make that dangerous manoeuvre to try and grab first place rather than settling for a perfectly adequate second. So why not give the player a slight boost when they have a very high heart rate. Like that Tetris game, the player could set out whether they want the game to be kind and slow everything down a little (like ‘Bullet Time’) or make everything that little bit more frantic. I think it would be interesting to say the least to experience what difference this makes.

And think of the possibilities. Bio Feedback could well be utilised with any game or genre. Granted, the uses of it may be very limited for certain genres, but for others there are great possibilities. If someone really wanted to, they could even accurately create a game of that TV game show ‘The Chair’ (though God only knows who would buy a copy of that...)

Well, those are just some ideas, but I certainly think a device such as this warrants more experimentation than a quick outing on an obscure N64 game. Maybe it wouldn’t revolutionise gaming, but it could certainly add a welcome new element to it.
Sun 15/12/02 at 21:00
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Christanious Mincefire wrote:
> plus, I am almost certain of someone posting an almost identical topic
> to this in fog Chat

If you mean recently, could you supply a link or the topic name so I can check it out...? If you mean from ages ago, then I did write a topic in FOG Prime mentioning this device a fair few months ago, but playing Eternal Darkness got me thinking about it again and gave me some new ideas...

Anyway, thanks for the replies! :D
Sat 14/12/02 at 20:00
"+ suspicious minds"
the best part would be no extensive equiptment, just a wristband or earplug, possibly on a wavebird system, connected to the fourth controller port. maybe for multiplayer games you could have a special type of controller. meybe.

plus, I am almost certain of someone posting an almost identical topic to this in fog Chat
Sat 14/12/02 at 18:30
Regular
Yeah, I can just imagine it in Rez, that when you have a high pulse rate and it begins to drop Zombies appear out of no-where, but the difficulty with that would be actually DESIGNING the games, it'd at least double the production time (that's RARE out of business then...)
Sat 14/12/02 at 16:48
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yeah, cheers for the replies. Only problems with the thing in beat 'em ups might be that it may be unfair in multiplayer. But still, there could alweays be an option to turn off the bio feedback, and it could add plenty of depth to games and create many new ideas.
Thu 12/12/02 at 16:56
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I also like the idea you mentioned about beat-'em-ups and how you would become stronger and more fearsome as your pulse-rate increases.

I reckon that'd work brilliantly in a game like Shenmue when you're up against a tough oponent and the tension's really getting to you.
As great as the fighting system is in that game, I think this would just make it even better, and increase the unique experience you get from the game, further.
Thu 12/12/02 at 16:49
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I like that idea of being able to interact with games using your pulse-rate, and I think it would work brilliantly if there is to be a sequel to Eternal Darkness, or whatever the next game will be that features a Sanity Meter (you just know someone's gonna nick that idea sooner-or-later!).

Think about it... The more scared you get, the more your heart beats. And with more beats, you begin to see more halucinations!
Great idea!

Technolgy really is starting to impress me now.
First we have news of that light-sensitive Konami game on the GBA, and now I hear about this... Whatever next??
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:24
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
So many games now hype themselves as the height of interaction. But still, very few games have more input devices than your simple controller (be it in the form of a control pad, a steering wheel, a light gun, or a mouse and keyboard). But what if we could interact with a game without even knowing it?

Enter Bio Feedback. Follow this link for more information:
http://ign64.ign.com/articles/154/154081p1.html

The link describes and includes a picture of a bio feedback device used on the N64 for a tetris game. It was clipped onto the ear lobe and measured heart rate. Now in this game it was used in a relatively simple way, increasing or decreasing (depending on mode selected) the speed that blocks fell with an increasing heart rate.

So why not use something like this for more games? Having been playing a fair amount of Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil recently I’ve come up with a fair few ideas. For example, probably the scariest parts of Eternal Darkness for me were the ghosts and bodies you found wandering around the Mansion as Alex. When I inspected the bath in the mansion for the first time it scared the hell out of me! Similarly, the ghost maid was pretty creepy. But rather than seeing these at pre-set times or when you inspect certain objects, how about when your heart rate is soaring, when you are the most nervous. Imagine being spooked by something, but then you begin to calm down a little and the camera suddenly pans around Alex to reveal an apparition of herself killed in some grizzly way, accompanied by a loud shriek. This would mean the scares felt less scripted, and each player would have a more unique experience. The game could also have a large number of this type of scare programmed into the game, and only a certain number used each time the game was played through, to give varying experiences (and scares) each time you played.

Similarly, Resident Evil could use this in some situations, such as when zombies are trying to open doors, and to stop ‘dead’ zombies getting up as crimson heads until the player is suitably nervous, or perhaps even better, not at all nervous, so therefore not expecting it.

Theoretically, this could allow the game to test what kind of things spooked the player most, so use the most effective methods to scare them. Unfortunately, only ‘shock’ scares would raise heart rate, so it would not work with the ‘disturbing’ kind of scares Eternal Darkness used.

But this should not be limited to scaring you. It could be used to change your character attributes in game, for example, in a beat ‘em up, making your character stronger and quicker as ‘you’ have a higher heart rate and are more energised. Again, for first person shooters, a high heart rate could make you run faster, but have slightly wobbly sights due to ‘you’ being nervous. And that’s without touching on the possibility of ‘Bullet Time’ or whatever you’d like to call it. Adrenaline rushes (which will cause very high heart rate) will often make you feel more like you can do anything (whether playing a game or not) and in-game are often the reason we make that dangerous manoeuvre to try and grab first place rather than settling for a perfectly adequate second. So why not give the player a slight boost when they have a very high heart rate. Like that Tetris game, the player could set out whether they want the game to be kind and slow everything down a little (like ‘Bullet Time’) or make everything that little bit more frantic. I think it would be interesting to say the least to experience what difference this makes.

And think of the possibilities. Bio Feedback could well be utilised with any game or genre. Granted, the uses of it may be very limited for certain genres, but for others there are great possibilities. If someone really wanted to, they could even accurately create a game of that TV game show ‘The Chair’ (though God only knows who would buy a copy of that...)

Well, those are just some ideas, but I certainly think a device such as this warrants more experimentation than a quick outing on an obscure N64 game. Maybe it wouldn’t revolutionise gaming, but it could certainly add a welcome new element to it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.