GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Power to the People?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/02/02 at 12:31
Regular
Yeah, that’s right, Power to the people. It is known that the PS2 has many sequels around for it, and many of these are good and an enjoyable play. But there are other sequels that are basically not good, and a waste of money such as the army men games, and the last few of the Tomb Raider games not to mention the Fifa games that are constantly brought out year after year. Why is this rubbish coming out all the time? Well because many of the gaming customers are buying these games making the developers vast amounts of cash and so they aren’t likely going to stop making what they consider ‘honey pots’ from easy work are they. But think about it, if we can influence the developers what to make, surely we could influence them in not what to make, right?

Well yes really. If the mass public of people would start to research what games to buy via the net, papers and mags they will build up a catalogue of what games are good to buy and are worth the money they work for. This would have a great effect on the industry and the gamers themselves. It goes without saying that if gamers researched there games more like most of people on this site then the quality of there collection will dramatically improve, far too many people im sure have the likes of the ISS games, the GT and GTA games and then have the likes of Fifa and other lower class games too beside them.

But this too would have an effect on the developers and the industry as well. If the gamers stop buying the rubbish games then developers will soon catch on as there games will start to bring in less money and cause the developers to realise that we don’t want this anymore. Once they take this on board they may start to finally put as much effort in as some of the bigger companies out there and bring us some more top quality titles. This would take lots of money to do so though, the likes of Konami and Namco all have a great capital to put into their work while the smaller companies do not. Boycotting the rubbish games in order to get them to make better ones could send some developers into the red, and therefore close them down. While this is a bad situation, its something that really needs to be done, if we the public are paying £35 for a game then we are entitled to be playing something good and not poor.

This is not going to happen over night though, for it to work the public are going to be educated into researching the games they buy first. Using the net is the best thing to do at the moment as there is a huge array so information available for you to make a decision. Most gamers do know this and research their games first, but it is obvious a huge percentage do not as many of the poorer games do sell. The 'casual' buyers if you will need to be taught not to buy a game because the developers have slapped a nice cover on the front of it, because that is what some people base there purchases on in shops, they look at the cover and the 'selected' screenshots they conveniently show you on the back and make there purchase on this. Developers will be rubbing their hands when they see this and that needs to be stopped.

If this sort of thing were started the industry would improve so much. The lesser developers would soon be gone and the market would have many more great games available through out it.

But is this idea totally out of the question? Could the public be taught to buy the better games, or are we going to be asked to sift through the rubbish always?
Wed 20/02/02 at 12:31
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Yeah, that’s right, Power to the people. It is known that the PS2 has many sequels around for it, and many of these are good and an enjoyable play. But there are other sequels that are basically not good, and a waste of money such as the army men games, and the last few of the Tomb Raider games not to mention the Fifa games that are constantly brought out year after year. Why is this rubbish coming out all the time? Well because many of the gaming customers are buying these games making the developers vast amounts of cash and so they aren’t likely going to stop making what they consider ‘honey pots’ from easy work are they. But think about it, if we can influence the developers what to make, surely we could influence them in not what to make, right?

Well yes really. If the mass public of people would start to research what games to buy via the net, papers and mags they will build up a catalogue of what games are good to buy and are worth the money they work for. This would have a great effect on the industry and the gamers themselves. It goes without saying that if gamers researched there games more like most of people on this site then the quality of there collection will dramatically improve, far too many people im sure have the likes of the ISS games, the GT and GTA games and then have the likes of Fifa and other lower class games too beside them.

But this too would have an effect on the developers and the industry as well. If the gamers stop buying the rubbish games then developers will soon catch on as there games will start to bring in less money and cause the developers to realise that we don’t want this anymore. Once they take this on board they may start to finally put as much effort in as some of the bigger companies out there and bring us some more top quality titles. This would take lots of money to do so though, the likes of Konami and Namco all have a great capital to put into their work while the smaller companies do not. Boycotting the rubbish games in order to get them to make better ones could send some developers into the red, and therefore close them down. While this is a bad situation, its something that really needs to be done, if we the public are paying £35 for a game then we are entitled to be playing something good and not poor.

This is not going to happen over night though, for it to work the public are going to be educated into researching the games they buy first. Using the net is the best thing to do at the moment as there is a huge array so information available for you to make a decision. Most gamers do know this and research their games first, but it is obvious a huge percentage do not as many of the poorer games do sell. The 'casual' buyers if you will need to be taught not to buy a game because the developers have slapped a nice cover on the front of it, because that is what some people base there purchases on in shops, they look at the cover and the 'selected' screenshots they conveniently show you on the back and make there purchase on this. Developers will be rubbing their hands when they see this and that needs to be stopped.

If this sort of thing were started the industry would improve so much. The lesser developers would soon be gone and the market would have many more great games available through out it.

But is this idea totally out of the question? Could the public be taught to buy the better games, or are we going to be asked to sift through the rubbish always?
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:30
Regular
Hmmmmm, thing is though, some people actually like thses FIFA type games.

As you say, casual gamers are he ones buying hses types of games, so they probably dont play the games much so dont see how they lack depth and how they are just a complete rip-off.

I reckon we need a range games so we can differentiate between the good and crap. Its pritty good the way it is. If all the games were good, then yes, in thoery thats better for us...but it could get to a situation where we just expect too much from games after our expectation levels are sooooo high.

I say let the casual gamers buy these "crap" games. Its not as if we really have a shortage of good PS2 games do we?
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
True, i suppose what concerns me most is that i dont get any of the rubbish games in my collection. As long as there are mags and internet sites that give you the low down on most games i can steer clear of these types of games.
Wed 20/02/02 at 14:37
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Alot of what you are saying makes sense but the problem we have here is that the majority of game designers are governed by deadlines set on them by the publishers and the financiers.

Deadlines are set at the concept stage where the game has to be released on a certain date. As the deadlines are controlled by accountants there are numerous ocassions where the designers come up with a brilliant concept, the game looks excellent in its early form but it can then fall to pieces at the end when the final programming has to be rushed otherwise staff dont get paid.

If the publishers and backers would only give the designers more freedom at times we would have much better finished games put on the shelves. It's a false economy for the publishers because the games end up in the bargain bins just a few weeks after issue wheras if they gave the designers more time they could sometimes end up selling 10 times as many copies of the game.

The problem with the popular franchises like Fifa and Tomb Raider is that people come to recognise them. It's happened to me in the past where I have played the first two Tomb Raider games and enjoyed them - They were ground breaking games. When my wife was in town she wanted to buy me a present and went and bought Last Revelation (DC) because it was Tomb Raider and she knew I had enjoyed the earlier games. She wouldn't have just picked up something like MSR because she would not have recognised it and this is true of many games that are bought as gifts - Little Johnny wants Pro Evolution but EB have sold out but they've got this one with Roy Keane on the box so we will get him that one - must be good with him on it eh!

There is also the situation of the band wagon franchises like the latest Monster Inc game but at least the RRP for that was set a lot lower than normal. How many people will have bought it just to tie in with the film - I know I have had to pull the PS2 and GBA versions out of my kids hands and put them back on the shelf - I dont care how cute and cuddly it might be - they aint having it because I know a bit about what the games are like - your average Joe Public has no more interest than getting something to shut them up with.

At least we have plenty to chhose from.
Wed 20/02/02 at 18:54
Regular
"You Bum!!"
As Ortega said many people do actually like FIFA games. I for one enjoyed them up until the 2000 edition. The only effective way to prevent people buying rubbish is to read a number of magazines. Despite some magazines either being critical of almost every game or just the writers being plain rubbish, it is still a good way to find out what game is worth shelling out your cash for and what isnt.

But many "average" games are normally bought as christmas and birthday presents. People know that some kid got a PS2 and they just pick a random game for them with their eyes closed. But people like us, who know their games will hardly ever make a mistake like that.

So as long as there anough sources of information that can direct us to buying a great game, I am happy.
Sat 23/02/02 at 11:28
Regular
"WWJD"
i really liked the FIFA series i think the new oens are especially good, I personally always research my games because i want the best out there which i think i have.

The not very serious gamers who are just buying games for the look are bringing ur down there making them make these pants games over and over again, why can't they just look at a review or even rent it out first.

It doesn't really matter to me any way as long as theres still good games being produced, aslong as theres good games out there for me to enjoy i don't really care.

Longy:0)
Sat 23/02/02 at 11:50
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Aren't they Fifa game very little compared to the newer game coming out? Im not really into to that sort of game but from what I've heard the new versions of the game are fairly repetitive and slowing decreasing in quality. Apparently PES is better. Then again, it's what I've heard.

I like Rez. Buy Rez. Mmm, Rez...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.