GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Arsenal and the red card plague"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/02/02 at 07:12
Regular
I have to admit, even though I'm not an Arsenal fan the amount of red cards they are getting is just ridiculous. Like Vieria, probably the worst offender, they have built up a reputation they just can't shake off. Last night, Parlour's second yellow card was for nothing. Nothing! It was a dive! Still, I'm glad they didn't win though.
Thu 21/02/02 at 23:00
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> Arsenal are hardly collecting centre backs. They have to play Stepanovs last
> night for gods sake!

He actually played well btw.
Thu 21/02/02 at 11:46
RM18 wrote:
> Arsenal are hardly collecting centre backs. They have to play Stepanovs last
> night for gods sake!

I was talking about Arsenal under the George Graham era not the current team.
Thu 21/02/02 at 06:55
Regular
Plus Bergkamp is better when the chips are down. If Arsenal are playing well then Kanu plays well, but Bergkamp can create nore chances for you
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:54
Regular
"Great Scott's"
I cannot believe Wenger left Bergkamp on the bench either. He is a much better player than Kanu. Bergkamp has the cutting edge like Sheringham, someone who can provide that little bit of magic to change the game in Arsenal's favour.
Wed 20/02/02 at 20:58
Regular
Arsenal are hardly collecting centre backs. They have to play Stepanovs last night for gods sake!
Wed 20/02/02 at 20:33
WòókieeMøn§Ý€® wrote:

> I am also baffled as to why Wenger asked Dennis Bergkamp
> to
> drive to Germany just to sit on the bench !!

You do have to wonder.
> I did initially think that he may have got on had Parlour not been dismissed.
> But then he could have come on as a straight swap for Kanu, who was a passenger
> for much of the match.

Yes but Bergkamp is suspended (still) for the league game against Fulham so surely it would have been better to have played him last night instead of Kanu, thus keeping Kanu fresh for Saturday. Furthermore, given the recent form of Bergkamp it is criminal that Wenger sent him to Germany to sit on his backside. I am a fan of Kanu but it was a daft decision by Le-boss to play him instead of Dennis.

I think the decision not to play Bergkamp and the failure to sub Parlour show the frailties of Wengers managerial skills. Again, I am a fan of Wenger and Arsenal are, without question, the most entertaining premiership side bar none. As an Arsenal fan the attacking football is sublime and a joy to watch. Wenger clearly knows how to spot a player and produce the right blend but he lets himself down by making incorrect decisions at crucial times - which is often the difference between finishing as premiership champions or runners up (or FA cup winners and runners up).

Wenger also seems to have caught the George Graham desease. Graham used to collect central defenders for fun when manager of Arsenal. Everyone could (during the 90's) see that Graham needed to buy a quality midfielder (instead of playing Keown in the centre midfield with David Hiller!!) yet Graham would fail to see it and continue splashing cash on more defenders. The current Arsenal team desperately needs a quality central midfield to compliment Vieira, which we have not had since Petit left. Vieira creative play is stiffled by having to cover too much ground. When Vieira is suspended (and the FA will see to that) Arsenal will struggle in the title run-in. Despite this Wenger is constantly linked to buying more strikers. He should open the cheque book and get Mark van Bommel or Edgar Davids to Highbury now - not wait until next season.
Wed 20/02/02 at 20:32
WòókieeMøn§Ý€® wrote:

> I am also baffled as to why Wenger asked Dennis Bergkamp
> to

You do have to wonder.
> I did initially think that he may have got on had Parlour not been dismissed.
> But then he could have come on as a straight swap for Kanu, who was a passenger
> for much of the match.

Yes but Bergkamp is suspended (still) for the league game against Fulham so surely it would have been better to have played him last night instead of Kanu, thus keeping Kanu fresh for Saturday. Furthermore, given the recent form of Bergkamp it is criminal that Wenger sent him to Germany to sit on his backside. I am a fan of Kanu but it was a daft decision by Le-boss to play him instead of Dennis.

I think the decision not to play Bergkamp and the failure to sub Parlour show the frailties of Wengers managerial skills. Again, I am a fan of Wenger and Arsenal are, without question, the most entertaining premiership side bar none. As an Arsenal fan the attacking football is sublime and a joy to watch. Wenger clearly knows how to spot a player and produce the right blend but he lets himself down by making incorrect decisions at crucial times - which is often the difference between finishing as premiership champions or runners up (or FA cup winners and runners up).

Wenger also seems to have caught the George Graham desease. Graham used to collect central defenders for fun when manager of Arsenal. Everyone could (during the 90's) see that Graham needed to buy a quality midfielder (instead of playing Keown in the centre midfield with David Hiller!!) yet Graham would fail to see it and continue splashing cash on more defenders. The current Arsenal team desperately needs a quality central midfield to compliment Vieira, which we have not had since Petit left. Vieira creative play is stiffled by having to cover too much ground. When Vieira is suspended (and the FA will see to that) Arsenal will struggle in the title run-in. Despite this Wenger is constantly linked to buying more strikers. He should open the cheque book and get Mark van Bommel or Edgar Davids to Highbury now - not wait until next season.
Wed 20/02/02 at 19:12
"High polygon count"
no10 wrote:
> That incident occured in December yet the hearing will
> not be until next month - which gives the FA a
> chance to ban him for the important games in the
> championship run-in.

Me, my dad and my cousin were all saying exactly the same thing before the match last night! It really is a disgrace. They have also put it off once already, delaying any action still further - probably so that they can arrange a suspension to coincide with important games, like away to Man United.

Interestingly, there was a post by a Man U fan on the Arsenal section of Teamtalk today, who states that even he feels that Vieira and Arsenal in general are being unfairly victimised and targetted by the FA and referees, with charges, cards and sendings-off being handed out freely where other clubs receive little or no punishment for worse.

One such example was that particularly bad challenge on Upson by Everton 'player' Carsley, which received no card, despite being violent enough to fracture Upson's leg and effectively put an end to his season.

I was happy to see today that Gillingham's Iffy Onoura (what a name!) has said that his comments were taken out of context, and that he felt there was no intent on Vieira's part. If the FA do decide to dream up additional charges, he is willing to speak on Vieira's behalf in the hope that no action is taken.

> I am also baffled as to why Wenger asked Dennis Bergkamp to

You do have to wonder. I did initially think that he may have got on had Parlour not been dismissed. But then he could have come on as a straight swap for Kanu, who was a passenger for much of the match.
Wed 20/02/02 at 17:50
Arsenal are, in my opinion, treated badly by referees and the FA. The FA seem intent on timing everything to go against Arsenal. For example take the Henry incident against Newcastle went he ranted at Graham Poll. That incident occured in December yet the hearing will not be until next month - which gives the FA a chance to ban him for the important games in the championship run-in. Likewise Patrick Vieira (apparently) elbowed JFH on Boxing and the FA will not get round to studying the video evidence until 3 months further down the line. How can the FA justify taking three months to spend about 10 minutes looking at video clips ??.

A couple of years ago Vieira was banned for something like six matches when he spat in the face of Neil Ruddock (who had alledgedly been giving him racial abuse for the previous 70mins). A few weeks ago Jamie Carragher got away scotfree for threwing coins into the Highbury crowd. So, according to the FA it is OK to throw coins at paying spectators but do not spit in the face of Neil Ruddock or we will ban you for six matches.

As for last night, Wenger was at fault. Parlour deserved his first yellow and might have been sent off earlier with a couple of clumsy tackles. You could clearly see the referee giving him a last warning. The challenge that got Parlour the second yellow was a nothing tackle but it was obvious the referee was going to book him a second time at the very next opportunity. Wenger should have noticed that and subbed him beforehand.

I am also baffled as to why Wenger asked Dennis Bergkamp to drive to Germany just to sit on the bench !!.
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:38
"High polygon count"
Yes, maybe Parlour should have gone off earlier, but he didn't - presumably because the ref didn't see it that way. However, sending him off when there was clearly no contact doesn't make it right. Hopefully Arsenal will appeal it and get it overturned; they can't say "well, what about these other challenges" because the ref saw them and didn't deem them worthy of a second yellow.

Had the ref booked him for one of the other challenges, I'd have no complaints whatsoever. But to send someone off for persistent infringement when there was no contact is ridiculous and wrong; he may as well just have booked him for running up the pitch, because that's all he was doing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.