GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Navigation on the right, acceptable?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/09/07 at 15:16
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Hi
I've read that it's essential that a good website has to have its navigation on the left. I don't entirely agree with this, as i've seen a lot of successful sites implementing their site navigation on the right hand side of the page.
Any views?
Sun 16/09/07 at 14:50
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Dont have right hand navigation in case your design is crap and doesnt work well on lower resolutions? Not sure that works as a general point about the subject. :)

I think any reasonable discussion of the subject has to assume a level playing field, ie all content is visible. Otherwise you can bring in alsorts of factors that cloud the issue alot. Whether the right hand side of the page is visible or not and whether it matters is really a separate issue.
Sun 16/09/07 at 13:34
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I think it's more to do with screen sizes myself, in that if a site uses right side navigation, but is designed to be seen on larger screens, 800 x 600 viewers may find the navigation is hidden away from view. Some are quite capable at scrolling over to have a look, but I'm sure many also aren't that 'savy', as they saying goes, so that's probably where the article that you read came about from.

There is nothing wrong with right side navigation in my view, but I would recommend that if it's used, a site design doesn't potentially push it out of view.
Sat 15/09/07 at 18:24
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Ok, thanks a lot Garin :D
Sat 15/09/07 at 16:06
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I've read the moon landings were faked, doesnt make it any truer. :)

Its difficult to make any rules about this I believe. Studies suggest that left handed navigations bring better response times from users. Usually this is put down the fact that english requires reading of top to bottom, left to right. Thus it takes them less time to find the navigation and use it. Yet it does seem to be acknowledged that right menus can give your page content more focus.
Personally I think page balance is most important with this. If you've got that right you should be able to get away with putting your navigation anywhere you like.
Sat 15/09/07 at 15:16
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Hi
I've read that it's essential that a good website has to have its navigation on the left. I don't entirely agree with this, as i've seen a lot of successful sites implementing their site navigation on the right hand side of the page.
Any views?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.