GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tony Hawks 4, first impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4'.
Thu 12/12/02 at 22:36
Regular
Started playing the game this evening. Only got about 1 hours game time in. It seems to have improved graphically by a much greater margin than I had been led to believe. There were reports that it looked the same as THPS3, but it really does look better. Its much sharper, faster and smoother. A lot of the animations are improved, and thanks to the addition of voices as well, the environments seem a lot more alive.

The tricks and controls all seem to be present and correct, with everything working nicely, and its still got that addictive feel to it, but one thing still has me worried - the new objective system. Before, you could master a level, using everything in every possible way to squeeze out every single point into a massive combo or 2 minute run. This time round, the timer is gone, and you are left with single combo or area objectives. It doesn`t quite have the same feel yet... though I`m hoping I`ll grow accustomed to it... besides, I`ve only done level 1 so far.

Anybody else enjoying this game?
Thu 12/12/02 at 22:36
Regular
Started playing the game this evening. Only got about 1 hours game time in. It seems to have improved graphically by a much greater margin than I had been led to believe. There were reports that it looked the same as THPS3, but it really does look better. Its much sharper, faster and smoother. A lot of the animations are improved, and thanks to the addition of voices as well, the environments seem a lot more alive.

The tricks and controls all seem to be present and correct, with everything working nicely, and its still got that addictive feel to it, but one thing still has me worried - the new objective system. Before, you could master a level, using everything in every possible way to squeeze out every single point into a massive combo or 2 minute run. This time round, the timer is gone, and you are left with single combo or area objectives. It doesn`t quite have the same feel yet... though I`m hoping I`ll grow accustomed to it... besides, I`ve only done level 1 so far.

Anybody else enjoying this game?
Thu 12/12/02 at 23:51
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Havent got it, but my Bro is pestering me to claim this game, maybe he'll get it as an Christmas pressie.

I'll wait for your more in depth verdict though. :D
Fri 13/12/02 at 07:57
Hoprfully getting it for christmass. My recke of the preasents under the tree where inconlusive. There where a few DVD size and shape pakages with my nae on. Hopeing my hints got though. :)
Fri 13/12/02 at 09:27
Hmm, one of those odd titles, i dont want to be buying it if its too like the previous game, not just graphical wise.

I'll have to wait for more views on this one.
Fri 13/12/02 at 12:54
Regular
I bought this game on the release date and have now completed everything, including gaps and cash. I think its the best of the series yet.
At first I also had the feeling that the new set up might not be as good as the others but I can now say that its a positive step. The areas are allot bigger and there are more tasks to complete. These tasks are also allot more varied than the previous versions which can only be a good thing.

My only criticism is that, even though all skaters have a pro challenge, you only have to complete the tasks with one character. In the previous games you needed to complete it with all characters and you were duly rewarded but in this game you're not motivated to keep playing it after you complete it. I'm not liking the fact that you don't really earn the cheats and secret characters (apart from the last one 'Hot Chick'). Maybe in THPS 5 they should combine the new goals set up with the old Cheats reward system and make it so that you need to complete it with at least several of the Characters.

In saying that I think I'm going to start a new career and see if I can complete it again by Christmas.
Fri 13/12/02 at 18:37
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
If it is anything like Tony Hawks 3 then i wont bother buying it
Fri 13/12/02 at 21:38
Regular
I played on Alcatraz for around an hour in HMV, and I never got bored.
Fri 13/12/02 at 21:39
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
What's that?
Fri 13/12/02 at 23:07
Regular
Its one of the levels in THPS4, clearly based on the actual prison... though there is a prisoner in this one, and I`m fairly sure the real thing has been closed a while. Perhaps this one was just lost.

Anyway, its quite a cool level, with stuff to grind everywhere. Trouble is, it doesn`t quite have the flow of some other levels. It might come with time, and it often does, but at the moment I`m struggling to find a rythm with it.
Tue 17/12/02 at 18:51
I think that alkatraz is the worst level on there (although it was very good) and i really like the zoo

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.