GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IE6 and FTP"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 19:21
Regular
Now I know that with IE5 and above, you can get straight into your web site via FTP, and you get an Explorer type view where you can alter file permissions with right-click/Properties.
Trouble is that I had to reinstall Win98 recently, and then loaded IE6 from a handy PC Plus cover disk. And when I get into the site now, it just shows a boring Unix type file listing, which doesnt allow me to change the permissions or anything.
From other message boards, I believe this is a problem with IE6 in some cases, depending on OS and whether its an upgrade or whatever. I really don't want to uninstall and reainstall (which some suggest), so I'm just interested to know whether anyone else has any info on this subject (or cares!).
Maybe I have to wait for a new version of IE6. It occasionally stops showing images, as well, leaving the dreaded "Red X". Rebooting solves that one, but it must be time for M$ to come up with a new version.
Thu 21/02/02 at 21:48
My Help -> About says 1.0.3, but I'm using Galeon, so that's probably not much help :)

Seriously, sorry.. no idea. I'll upgrade to the latest IE when I'm next under XP.
Thu 21/02/02 at 19:11
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Oh, and Turbo - I do use WSFTPLE, but the problem I had with that is that it confused me completely with its way of updating file permissions - it doesnt show you the current settings.
Thu 21/02/02 at 19:10
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Any idea what the latest version is of the software? The Help/About menu on my system shows 6.00.2600.0000IS.
Thu 21/02/02 at 14:16
Try grabbing the latest IE6 from http://microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ie6/default.asp

I use IE for FTP at times.. it's remarkably useful.
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Simple - just don't use IE for FTP. It's amazingly poor at it, use WS_FTP lite instead (free!)
Tue 19/02/02 at 19:21
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Now I know that with IE5 and above, you can get straight into your web site via FTP, and you get an Explorer type view where you can alter file permissions with right-click/Properties.
Trouble is that I had to reinstall Win98 recently, and then loaded IE6 from a handy PC Plus cover disk. And when I get into the site now, it just shows a boring Unix type file listing, which doesnt allow me to change the permissions or anything.
From other message boards, I believe this is a problem with IE6 in some cases, depending on OS and whether its an upgrade or whatever. I really don't want to uninstall and reainstall (which some suggest), so I'm just interested to know whether anyone else has any info on this subject (or cares!).
Maybe I have to wait for a new version of IE6. It occasionally stops showing images, as well, leaving the dreaded "Red X". Rebooting solves that one, but it must be time for M$ to come up with a new version.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.