GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Driver 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/09/00 at 11:17
Regular
Driver is one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played on playstation, or PC. The atmosphere is spot on the tunes are great, but where Driver really excelled itself was in the playability department. The game had me addicted from day one, driving around LA and San Francisco, day or night, rain or shine. But perhaps the best thing about Driver is the replay option. Unlike normal racing games this option is superb, partly because in Driver, you actually can actually do something interesting - Ram raid a restaurant, write off a cop car, drive into oncoming traffic and yes even crash (Something you don't see in Gran Turismo). The only bad thing about Driver was the ridiculously hard last level, but then the games so much fun to play that you don't really mind playing the level for 4 hours non stop. Then just as I thought the fun was over I realised there are lots of bonus modes in the game such as - Car Chase, Getaway and perhaps my favourite survival mode which is a bit like Destruction Derby but more fun.
Which is why I just can't wait for Driver 2 to be released. I've seen a Demo and it looks breathtaking, with a 2-player mode, better cut scenes, and the option to get out of your vehicle and steal that School Bus you've always wanted to drive. This time though the action isn't just in America, but Europe too, with all new citys to explore - Driver 2 has all the markings of a great game. In the meantime Driver is now really cheap on playstation, so anyone who missed this classic should pick up a copy today. Driver 2 however looks amazing, and is sure to be a must purchase. The best racing game ever, is about to get ten times better!
Sun 01/10/00 at 19:59
Yes usually most racing games are multiplayer, with single player racers being single player racers due to the limitations of the games system theyre running on.
Mon 25/09/00 at 16:52
Single play I would say that the mission based action of Driver is definately a plus point and that will probably be even better for Driver 2, but dont you normally assiociate driving games with multiplay games?
Mon 25/09/00 at 16:46
There are other great racing games, however Driver is my favourite racer because its original, and fun to play. Sure if you want the Best Driving Simulation then buy Gran Turismo 2 (Playstation), or Gran Turismo 2000 (Playstation 2). If you want great multiplayer action the get Mario Kart 64, or Diddy Kong Racing for your N64. But Driver is the most fun single player racing game I've ever played, it took the best parts of classic racers such as Chase HQ and made a true classic.
I am dissapointed that the Playstation 2 doesnt have more ports as standard, it would have meant more multiplayer games. However with most Plastation Joypads, lightguns etc... still working on the Playstation 2, hopefully this will mean the old steering wheel and foot pedals still work with RidgeRacer5 and Gran Turismo2000. Driver2 on the Playstation will be great, and hopefully the playstation2 version even better.
Sun 24/09/00 at 22:35
Regular
I enjoyed Driver unti lI got stuck inside a buliding for some reason.
Sun 24/09/00 at 16:18
Damo, thats a challenge a competant Mario Kart player, I wouldnt mind taking the world on in MarioKart the game oozes playability. Can't wait for Driver 2 either, it will be an corker of a game. Driver 2 -- on the playstion 2 now that will be exciting!
Only bad point, what were Sony thinking only 2 ports on the PS2, my multitap keeps comming out all the time, Multiplayer games are the Future, at least Nintendos new machine will have 4 ports. Shouldnt Ridge Racer 5 have been 4 player split screen, its a shame.
Thats why the N64 still survives Today because its still the best multiplayer machine. The new ISS on the N64 sure looks sweet, and with classics such as Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart. Racing games are much better with more players, anyone remember Daytonna in the Arcades with up to 8 players, thats fun.
Fri 22/09/00 at 18:46
I cant wait for Driver 2 either, but you should never discount Gt as being the best Driving simulator, but I wont ignore that Driver was a unique game, and the sequel will be even better.
Fri 22/09/00 at 18:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I agree with Des, Driver was more playable than Gran Turismo 2, but Gran Turismo only had more lifespan because you had so many races to compete in, whereas the length of Driver was limited by the number of missions you took on. Again, you could extend the playability of Driver by opening up all the modes and doing all the different time trials, and the level of difficulty was better constructed than in Gran Turismo (where you only had to get the 800HP rally car to win every single race).
Driver had the damage effects, and was more "fun" to play. Can't wait for Driver 2 either.
Fri 22/09/00 at 18:11
Agreed. Mario Kart would look ace on Gamecube, and at 199.99, it would definately be a good console to buy!
Fri 22/09/00 at 18:10
Regular
Another good reason to get a Gamecube.
(How can that not happen! Internet ready Mario Kart! God that will be fun!)
Fri 22/09/00 at 18:04
Hmm... Mario Kart over the internet... I hope that happens one day, then I will be crowned World Champion!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.