GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need some advice please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 16:52
Regular
Ok, I know you are expecting me to give you a URL so you can all comment on it but this is completely different. I need some advice from some of you pros regarding options regarding further education. I am reaching the stage in my education where I’m about to choose what subjects to take at A Level and I don’t think anyone at my school would be able to give me good advice because to be honest, they wouldn’t have a clue.

I’ve recently turned sixteen and will be taking my GCSEs in the summer. I chose Information Technology and I’m on course for getting a good grade in this. I’m also quite good at Maths (got a B in my Mocks) and I’ve heard from a few people that this is a good subject to take because it will help when it comes to more complex scripting.

So, taking all this into account, I’ve decided to stay on at my Sixth Form, because they have both a good Maths and IT department. Now comes the hard decision. They recommend that you take on four subjects at A level. I’m decided on two of them, but was just wondering what else I should do. Should I take two subjects that I wouldn’t really be interested in or devote my free time to self-tutoring myself. Or do you think I should just take two extra A Levels so that I would get good enough grades to go into University?

I would really appreciate to here what some of the people who create Web Sites as a living at this stage in their life. Thanks.
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:40
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
Whooo Style! wrote:
> Erm, dumb question, but how do you work out the number of points you get at A
> Level??

if i remember rightly every A is worth 5 points, B is 3 and C is 1.
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:00
Regular
"How Handy."
Erm, dumb question, but how do you work out the number of points you get at A Level??
Wed 20/02/02 at 19:03
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
I'll stick in my 2p's worth...

Somebody metioned specific multimedia type courses earlier in this thread. I'm studying a degree in Multimedia Technology which covers website design, multimedia (director etc), 3d animation, stop frame (wallice and grommit), some management, 2d graphic design, music, midi and some other stuff. There's a lot of bases covered, so it does give you a look into all areas. If you're specifically interested in say website design and programming it isn't really ideal - only a small section of the course covers it.

Id does however give you a chance to try lots of things you perhaps wouldn't have considered.

oh and

monkey_man wrote:
> A good A Level to go with your Maths and IT would be Physics. If
> you can handle Maths at A Level then Physics will be a doddle - nothing but
> formulas.

NOOOOO!!! springs to mind :o) i did A-level maths, and AS level further maths and physics was as hard as, well, a vey very hard thing. that's been working out. it's 'ard with a capital A. or maybe i'm just dumb. wait, don't answer that!

If you are interested in an MMT course the entry requirements are not A-level specific - totally points related. I got onto the course with a-levels in maths, physics, grography, environmental science, general studies and AS level further maths - hardly IT / computing related (well, except maths which is a BIG help) but other people get on from specific computing courses run by sixth forms and colleges - it's very 'open entry'.
Wed 20/02/02 at 18:21
Regular
I was in the same situation as you last year....

Youre much better of taking computing than IT even if it is a little harder.
Wed 20/02/02 at 17:53
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
Thanks for the help guys. I think what I'm going to have to do before I make a proper decision is check out if there are any courses at uni's that I would be interested in. If I was to go to Uni, I would probably end up at Birmingham UCE, but I've heard that this is good.

I'm definately going to take Maths and IT at A Level, then I will end up taking one other subject that I don't really enjoy, but I'm good at. That will most likely be Business Studies. Then with my spare time, I'll concentrate on different aspects of scripting etc.

I already know HTML because when I went on work experience, I went to this place called zoosoft (www.zoosoft.com) and they basically sat me at a computer with a really good HTML tutorial. I had the basics of it within a morning then picked up the rest on that afternoon and the next day, found it quite easy.

I've also recently purchased some books based on PHP4 and Javascript. I've put the javascript on hold whilst I slowly pluck my way through the basics of PHP, but so far, I'm finding it quite easy to understand, maybe this is just because I'm doing the basics at the moment though.

The main bloke at zoosoft didn't have a single qualification, but he was damn good on Flash, so I suppose qualifications aren't everything. The best thing I can do now is learn some more PHP and start doing some little projects, maybe some people could help me do this by setting me mini tasks or something that will help me learn? The only way I can see me getting the hang of this is through experience, because there is only so much I can learn from a book.

Anyway, once again, thanks for your replies, they really helped me. Cheers.
Wed 20/02/02 at 09:31
Tyla wrote:
> I got where I am today by being able to demonstrate my
> ability to adapt, learn quick andthe fact that I'm damn
> talented as a creative!!

And yet, so modest... don't hide your light under a bushel Tyla ;)

> I design and build, something the market is calling more
> for and something that is slowly becoming more expected.

Definately, too many people are arguing about which is best, developer or designer... This is a dumb argument, the best people will always understand how to do both, that way, you are of double value to a company if you can prove you both designed and built web site's single handedly.

> Look at books, and look at other sites... pick them apart
> and study them, understand them and play with them...

Yes, and never under-estimate the power of a backgroundless 1x1 pixel gif.
Wed 20/02/02 at 09:22
I'll be honest and tell you guys I failed my A level Computing, big time. But I had enough points to do a HND in Computing for 2 years, which I then converted into a Degree over the course of another year. So 3 years after I failed A level Computing, I had a degree in it, a crappy degree, but one none-the-less.

One thing I will say is that my ex-boss told me that when he was applying for jobs as a manager type person, some companies would not even interview him because he didn't have a degree! So it does open some doors.

I think this is one of a few industries left where if you have raw talent and determination to succeed, you can do just as well as anyone else, no matter what qualifications you have. This is why I suggested you should start building sites for clients now, then you get to learn the practical stuff like client handling, handling domain names, image optimisation techniques, basic Javascript, and SQL... All these things will stand you in good stead no matter how you do in your exams.

If you can show a potential employer a good portfolio of solid web sites, you will stand as good a chance as anybody of getting that job.
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:59
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I failed all my ALevels (well, I got an E for AS Music) and I still got into University. A lot of it depends on how you present yourself at open days and interviews. A good A Level to go with your Maths and IT would be Physics. If you can handle Maths at A Level then Physics will be a doddle - nothing but formulas.
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:27
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
**cough**I have no formal qualifications**cough**

I studies Fine Art and Art history at Alevel, Graphic Design at BTEC, Cad and HTML at NVQ4... apart from that, I got where I am today by being able to demonstrate my ability to adapt, learn quick andthe fact that I'm damn talented as a creative!!

I evolved with the market going from print to web and have been here ever since.

Personally I would do as FG reccomends... Study both sides of the coin. I design and build, something the market is calling more for and something that is slowly becoming more expected.

Look towards future technologies to so that you are a step ahead of the rest so that by the time you are finished with Uni, you don't need to learn new skills straight away. XML and XsLT is the next big thing, definately include these into your learning schedule, and study the basics, go back to roots.

One of the things I've found usefull in this job is the ability to always say "what if..." and "why". This is a medium where there a fluffy boundaries and limitations and something wich is starting to move along quickly again too.

I can;t be of much more help really. But the best way to learn is to play and experiment, learn from your experiments, reflect on them and then do it again...

Look at books, and look at other sites... pick them apart and study them, understand them and play with them...

Tue 19/02/02 at 19:45
Gabbo, I take it that you want to build web sites for a living, so I shall try to give you a picture based on that...

If you can find a course that has specific modules dedicated to web development and design, then go for it. Otherwise, stick to what you are best at, and use the points you get in your A Levels to get you into a Uni course. No matter what you want to do in the future, a Degree in anything will always stand you in good stead for getting a job.

Take a look at what kind of University course you might want to take in a few years, there may be some specific multimedia degrees out there which can teach you about web design as well as multimedia stuff which will mean you have more strings to your bow than the average web developer when you graduate.... Are there any courses that stand out as having some really good web design / development content? If so, how many A level points do you need to get on them?

Also, do you want to design sites (look and feel), or do you want to develop sites (the functionality behind how it look and feel)? You may find courses that teach you just design, or just development, or a little bit of both... It is your personal choice, but I would go for a little bit of both if you can, that way you can design the site in Photoshop and then actually build it in Dreamweaver, which means you will have a very valuable skill set. Ask Tyla... There are very few developers who can design a web site, and very few designers who can develop a web site... Those people who can do both can be very valuable to an organisation.

Finally, no matter what courses you take, try and get some real world experience of building web sites for a client. From start to finish. You might not get paid a lot (or anything even!) but nothing beats actually getting down and dirty and learning HTML and Javascript. Try and build a few websites with different styles and which function differently, and learn from the mistakes that you will make along the way. Look at the kind of web sites you like and look at the source code to see how they put it all together. How is the HTML structured? What Javascript is used? How does the same web site look in different browsers?

Oh. And never, ever use frames.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.