GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"are games that can be completed in days worth the money?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 11:18
Regular
so many development companies now take loyal gamers for fools. every month dishing out sloppy conversions of games on other formats or rehashes of their own or a rival teams work. but my main complaint is that games that i pay huge amounts of money for are being completed and (you've all done it!) returned to the shop claiming there is a fault, to get that hard earned cash back in full.
i for one have finished with one certain company, konami, after i completed my spanky new copy of metal gear solid 2 in six (count 'em, six!) hours. don't get me wrong, its an amazing game, but nearly all of its either made up by codec conversations or flashy cut-scenes, and nowhere near enough gameplay, you don't even play as snake half the time!
its not all bad news though people, there are some severely good games out there that will take a lifetime to finish and gives you more than your moneys worth. my n64 sits in higher acclaim than the ps2 does, mainly due to legend of
zelda:ocarina of time which took a full years worth of gameplay to complete first time, or final fantasy 7 on the pc/ps1 which took about the same, even though the sequels weren't quite up to scratch.
finally, i'd just like to ask all of the gamers reading this to stop encouraging developers making short games by actually buying good ones, and not waiting for the next tomb raider or final fantasy (have you not realised these series grow worse as they go on?) and if you want lastability, grow up and look to the few trustworthy developers in the world like, nintendo, rare, activision, capcom, namco, (and to a lesser extent, sega) and ignore the likes of konami, core, square or microsoft who endlessly have caused miffed faces all over the world in gamers who buy what mr biased in their magazine said and figure out its either a boring game, or very good, but takes a day to finish.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:18
so many development companies now take loyal gamers for fools. every month dishing out sloppy conversions of games on other formats or rehashes of their own or a rival teams work. but my main complaint is that games that i pay huge amounts of money for are being completed and (you've all done it!) returned to the shop claiming there is a fault, to get that hard earned cash back in full.
i for one have finished with one certain company, konami, after i completed my spanky new copy of metal gear solid 2 in six (count 'em, six!) hours. don't get me wrong, its an amazing game, but nearly all of its either made up by codec conversations or flashy cut-scenes, and nowhere near enough gameplay, you don't even play as snake half the time!
its not all bad news though people, there are some severely good games out there that will take a lifetime to finish and gives you more than your moneys worth. my n64 sits in higher acclaim than the ps2 does, mainly due to legend of
zelda:ocarina of time which took a full years worth of gameplay to complete first time, or final fantasy 7 on the pc/ps1 which took about the same, even though the sequels weren't quite up to scratch.
finally, i'd just like to ask all of the gamers reading this to stop encouraging developers making short games by actually buying good ones, and not waiting for the next tomb raider or final fantasy (have you not realised these series grow worse as they go on?) and if you want lastability, grow up and look to the few trustworthy developers in the world like, nintendo, rare, activision, capcom, namco, (and to a lesser extent, sega) and ignore the likes of konami, core, square or microsoft who endlessly have caused miffed faces all over the world in gamers who buy what mr biased in their magazine said and figure out its either a boring game, or very good, but takes a day to finish.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:24
no
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:25
Regular
"Acid Casual"
I particularly enjoyed your little selling tactic at the end of your post.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:32
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Agent_Under_Fire wrote:
> no

short..........but to the point.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:34
"High polygon count"
So, you've basically skipped all the cut-scenes, dashed through the game, paid no attention whatsoever to the story. You've probably not found or enjoyed any of the subtleties throughout the game. You probably played it on Easy too! I've had more than 5 hours of highly entertaining gameplay from just the DEMO of MGS2! Yes, you can complete the demo in a few minutes once you know what your're doing and where you're going, but there's tons of things to try, and fun to be had.

So basically, in my opinion, you've ruined it for yourself by dashing through it.

The value of a game comes not from how much you pay or how long it lasts, but how much you enjoy it. I completed Jak & Daxter in under a week, Namco's Ace Combat 4 in just over a day; are they poor value? Not for me, because I enjoyed every minute of them. If I want a longer challenge, I have GT3... or GTA3... or Pro Evo. All of which last varying amounts of time, but all of which are excellent value, simply because I enjoy playing them.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:36
Regular
"Not your monkey"
WòókieeMøn§??® wrote:
*some good stuff*

Give the man a coconut.
Well said
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:40
Sounds like you're too eager to me. I heard that it was possible to clear MGS2 in 6 hours if you skipped all the cutscenes and sped through the CODEC stuff. So I'm guessing thats what you did, maybe not? I don't know. But if you plug away at a game it does end a lot quicker.

Take Zelda OoT for instance, you said it took you a year, well I've cleared it in 20 hours, so that just shows what a difference actual "play time" can make.

If you speed through a game, it'll end uicker (stone the crows if it ain't sound logic)

At the end of the day, a game that takes a few hours to clear can still be worth the cash if its worth playing again. MGS1 you can do in under 6 hours, but its a top notch title that I'll play over and over. Thus, worth the money.

I can't say if MGS2 is, because I've not played it. However, I value a short game that I'll play over and over more than I do one that takes ages, but I'll only play once.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:40
"High polygon count"
Mmm, coconut!
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:48
what the hell is this all about
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:48
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> So, you've basically skipped all the cut-scenes, dashed through the game, paid
> no attention whatsoever to the story. You've probably not found or enjoyed any
> of the subtleties throughout the game. You probably played it on Easy too!
> I've had more than 5 hours of highly entertaining gameplay from just the DEMO of
> MGS2! Yes, you can complete the demo in a few minutes once you know what
> your're doing and where you're going, but there's tons of things to try, and fun
> to be had.

So basically, in my opinion, you've ruined it for yourself by
> dashing through it.

The value of a game comes not from how much you pay or
> how long it lasts, but how much you enjoy it. I completed Jak & Daxter in
> under a week, Namco's Ace Combat 4 in just over a day; are they poor value? Not
> for me, because I enjoyed every minute of them. If I want a longer challenge, I
> have GT3... or GTA3... or Pro Evo. All of which last varying amounts of time,
> but all of which are excellent value, simply because I enjoy playing them.

Wookiee, have you tried throwing the guards off of the ship.

If you go to the side enterance, you can open the hatch and toss the guards into the sea! What a game. I like the stealing the dog tags idea.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.