GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Form scripts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 09:56
Regular
Hi, anybody know where to get a good cgi to tidy up form entries from?
Thanks,
Dano.
Tue 19/02/02 at 17:01
Regular
Ok, thanks for the input guys if I need any more help I'll get back to you(I'll try to be a little clearer as well)
Dano.
Tue 19/02/02 at 16:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I could whip up a quick one in PHP later if you want it :o).
Tue 19/02/02 at 16:40
If you're using a script on the server to use the server's mail subsystem to send you the email you could implement it in perl, or even PHP (which isn't CGI, but could be a bit simpler).

Perl is fairly easy to tweak into doing what you want. Have a look at

http://www.perlfect.com/articles/sendmail.shtml

.. for a good example of how to use sendmail on the server.

Basically, that script gets called when the user fills in the details on your form and hits submit. It can pick out what the user has filled in with "$query->param('foo')" and opens a pipe to the sendmail program with 'open(SENDMAIL, "|$sendmail")', sending arguments like the subject and return addresses as plain text.

The most common issue with these kinds of scripts is the location of the sendmail binary.. anyone know where it is on the freeola servers?

Anyway, back to your question.. if you're just emailing stuff to yourself, set something like $to = "[email protected]"; (where lewq@ntlworld is your email address, of course..). From there you can format your content nicely.

Assuming that the point of the form is to find out what someone's favourite game is (lame, I know.. I just pulled it out of the air..), and that the form has text boxes named the following..

-> their_email
-> their_name
-> favourite_game

Try something like this..

$content = "Hi me,\n".$query->param('their_name')."'s favourite game is ".$query->param('favourite_game').".\n\nTheir email address is ".$query->param('their_email').".\nHave fun.";

If that went over your head, you probably don't need to know. Just try copying and pasting, and if that doesn't work, there are a thousand people out there who could explain it better than I can :)
Tue 19/02/02 at 16:24
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Someone fills in a form???
The results are sent to you in an E-mail???
You want the E-mail to be easy to read???

Is that what your after???
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:49
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
AH! if so e-mail me [email protected] i've got the required files.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:49
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Are you talking about the user filling out some questions on a form...etc and then 'sending' it to you?
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:09
Regular
OK, so I'm lazy, what I mean is that I want to use a cgi script to sort a feedback form into a readable message before it gets mailed to me but I have very little knowledge in that area. I am using special reserve space so I have the info on the paths etc but I still need a script.
Dano.
Tue 19/02/02 at 10:53
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
get a cgi? don't you get them with the domain?
Tue 19/02/02 at 09:56
Regular
Hi, anybody know where to get a good cgi to tidy up form entries from?
Thanks,
Dano.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.