GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Modem And ISP Do You Reccomend?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/02/02 at 21:53
Regular
I have an HSP56Micromodem and AOL.
This is poor on Counter-Strike so what Modem and ISP should i get?
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:53
I have an HSP56Micromodem and AOL.
This is poor on Counter-Strike so what Modem and ISP should i get?
Tue 19/02/02 at 00:52
Grab an external 56k Rockwell or something of similar reputation. They shouldn't cost that much these days. External modems tend to have better latency than internal ones, in my experience.

I'd suggest signing up with ntlworld if they're in your area -- I've always had good experiences with them. Others may suggest differently. There are a lot of ISPs out there.. go use the 'net and find out which one's best for you.
Tue 19/02/02 at 00:55
"High polygon count"
Gammon3500 wrote:
> This is poor on Counter-Strike so what Modem and ISP should i get?

http://www.freeola.com - they're pretty darn good! :-)
Tue 19/02/02 at 08:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sod that, just get any modem. This one is out of my school's ancient 486 boxes and is worth less than the price of a Mars Bar. It rocks though, excellent speed and pings, and doesn't need a PCI slot either. Duding. In my experience, the older 56Ks are the best.

As for ISPs, Freeola are as good as any.
Tue 19/02/02 at 12:35
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
As already been pointed out, make sure you get an external modem, you'll get slightly better performance out of them.
If you do go for an internal one, make sure you don't end up with a win modem, they are cheap efforts they use CPU time to do stuff because they don't have a decent chipset of their own. The same is true of some external USB ones so be sure to check. In my experience, the best I've heard about and used is the diamond supraexpress 56e pro external. It was what lagless.com always recommended too (that site seems to have disappeared though). I use a creative labs modem blaster (external) at present and that gives fairly decent performance too.

ISPs are really difficult to recommend because it depends where you live. The best ISP for me is BT, but you can read plenty of complaints about them on here and elsewhere. Maybe a visit to www.ispreview.co.uk is worth it though. :)

-G
Tue 19/02/02 at 14:42
Regular
"How Handy."
Diamond 56e Pro are excellent, back in the days when BT were a half decent ISP I used to get pings of around 80 on a decent server. Thats fantastic for a 56ker!
Tue 19/02/02 at 16:59
Thanks Lads. I have heard about that Diamond one too! Ill have to invest in that. :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.