GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Faction - Too Short?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Red Faction'.
Sun 15/12/02 at 11:21
Regular
I've had Red Faction a while now and have got quite far before, but I installed it Thursday night and completed it last night. My total play time was...

2:50:33 (2 hours, 50 minutes, 33 seconds)

I really expected a lot more out of this game. Games like Half Life and Max Payne took me longer to complete, Half Life took me 5-6 hours and Max Payne 4-5. But less than three hours kinda takes the Michael.

It wouldn't've been so bad had the ending not been so cack. The last scene is pressure, trying to defuse a bomb with two random codes, only 45 seconds to do it in. But an ending that's less than 90 seconds? No thank you.

In conclusion, the game was entertaining, but too short, and the reward was not good enough. I just hope that they have improved upon this in Red Faction 2.

Flux.
Sun 15/12/02 at 12:17
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
Ant wrote:
> Flux wrote:
> Ant, is that an excuse I hear as to why I completed it 1-2 hours
> faster than you? :P
>
> Well, PS2's controls for FPS games are normally cack, with the
> exception of Agent Under Fire. I've said it before and I'll say it
> again - the PS2 is just not seasoned for FPS.
>
> THAT'S WHAT A PC IS FOR!
>
> Indeed. Although, I did spend way too long on that bloody huge boss in
> those mining caves that you have to lead onto the platform.
>
> The annoying thing is, I did it for my mate on his game before I did
> it on mine. :D

LOL! Must be bad controls then, or I'm just better at FPS games ;)

Then again, I am an avid FPS player. Dunno about you though mate. You play many? That boss took me about a minute :P

What other FPS have you played? I have now completed:

Half Life
Half Life: Opposing Force
Half Life: Blue Shift
Max Payne
Red Faction
Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy X

of the games on my 'to complete' list :)

Hm. Maybe NOLF next :)
Sun 15/12/02 at 12:05
Regular
"I like cheese"
Flux wrote:
> Ant, is that an excuse I hear as to why I completed it 1-2 hours
> faster than you? :P
>
> Well, PS2's controls for FPS games are normally cack, with the
> exception of Agent Under Fire. I've said it before and I'll say it
> again - the PS2 is just not seasoned for FPS.
>
> THAT'S WHAT A PC IS FOR!

Indeed. Although, I did spend way too long on that bloody huge boss in those mining caves that you have to lead onto the platform.

The annoying thing is, I did it for my mate on his game before I did it on mine. :D
Sun 15/12/02 at 12:03
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
Ant, is that an excuse I hear as to why I completed it 1-2 hours faster than you? :P

Well, PS2's controls for FPS games are normally cack, with the exception of Agent Under Fire. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the PS2 is just not seasoned for FPS.

THAT'S WHAT A PC IS FOR!
Sun 15/12/02 at 11:57
Regular
"I like cheese"
I completed it on PS2 in around 3-4 hours, maybe it's easier on PC or something. Although it was short, there were some tough bosses to beat, and I enjoyed the game throughout. The plot was great too, and maybe if it had gone on for longer then it would've run out of ideas.

Short, but sweet. {:)
Sun 15/12/02 at 11:57
Regular
Get the PS2 version.

It'll add a few extra hours to the game through loading time.
Sun 15/12/02 at 11:54
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Yea, but personally if anyone has played Red Faction 2. Its Weapons are now completly unfair.

However. Back to the 1st game, But it is a game that gets the job done.
Sun 15/12/02 at 11:45
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
I suppose they had to keep GeoMod down so that the frame-rate didn't drop to insanely low counts. Hell, even on my very competent computer, the framerate dropped considerably when I fired the Fusion Rocket Launcher in a crowded area. I didn't think the graphics were brilliant. The textures were excellent, but the character and weapon models were horribly jagged. Ah well, it was a great game whilst it lasted.
Sun 15/12/02 at 11:40
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Red Faction is a very soild game, From start to finish. Soild graphics, Basic A.I. and quite simple controls with nothing special in the mutiplayer. So adding too all that is the 'Soild' Game length. 2-3 hours is a short time barrier compared to the games we have now, But too me i didn't care too much. Maybe they could of added a bit more use of the GEOMOD then the time you wouldn't relise it.
Sun 15/12/02 at 11:21
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
I've had Red Faction a while now and have got quite far before, but I installed it Thursday night and completed it last night. My total play time was...

2:50:33 (2 hours, 50 minutes, 33 seconds)

I really expected a lot more out of this game. Games like Half Life and Max Payne took me longer to complete, Half Life took me 5-6 hours and Max Payne 4-5. But less than three hours kinda takes the Michael.

It wouldn't've been so bad had the ending not been so cack. The last scene is pressure, trying to defuse a bomb with two random codes, only 45 seconds to do it in. But an ending that's less than 90 seconds? No thank you.

In conclusion, the game was entertaining, but too short, and the reward was not good enough. I just hope that they have improved upon this in Red Faction 2.

Flux.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.