GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Updating Pages"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/02/02 at 20:55
Regular
Ive got a fairly large website at the moment (50 pages and rising) and I frequently need to update the template page which means I have to update every other page on the website that uses the template.

This alone takes over half an hour every time I upload the pages.

Is there another solution to this, or even a quicker way?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mon 18/02/02 at 20:55
Regular
Ive got a fairly large website at the moment (50 pages and rising) and I frequently need to update the template page which means I have to update every other page on the website that uses the template.

This alone takes over half an hour every time I upload the pages.

Is there another solution to this, or even a quicker way?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:18
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
PHP. Find the thread I made about the PHP include tag and learn from that. It's the most useful thing in web design since the modem.
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:31
Regular
Found it, Read it, Read it again, Scratched Head, Smashed Head on Keyboard....

All that php stuff means nothing to me......
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:34
Regular
"How Handy."
Pah, doesnt understand PHP, I remember a certain someone calling me a crap webdesigner..
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:42
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I really want to know php, seems the obvious thing to learn if you want to get anywhere with webdesign.
Mon 18/02/02 at 21:43
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
> Dav1d wrote:
> Found it, Read it, Read it again, Scratched Head, Smashed Head on
> Keyboard....

> All that php stuff means nothing to me......

Another possibility is server side includes. You'll have to check that your host supports it though.
But if your host supports it you can have stuff like
You can put your generic html that appears on each page in files like eg header.html and then on your pages rather you have a tag like

instead. Before your webpage is served up by your host, it scans the page for tags like that and includes the text from the file.

You can do it with javascript too, a bit more complicated I think though and of course if you anybody has javascript turned off, they don't see half the page.

-G
Mon 18/02/02 at 22:40
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Yeah using a Script withing your Web Site can cut down time and effort of updating. If you have this Template you use in one file, say Template.html for example, you cna have this included in all your other pages. Then, when you update the Template file, it will appear on all the pages that it's included in.

If your host supports PHP (Freeola do) then you can simply add this:

and this will put in the template into the page automaticly. You will have to rename any files to a .php file if you use the include PHP Code, mind you.

Make any sence to you Dav1d???

Alternativly, you could just use Frames on your Site, but I think the PHP thing would be better.
Mon 18/02/02 at 22:41
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Similer to what Garin said, I should say :o).
Mon 18/02/02 at 22:46
Regular
Thanks cjh, I understand the principle in it all, and it really would help alot I f I could use something like that, but unfortunatley Dreamweaver doesnt support .php pages.

Any suggestions because I sure as hell cant program my own html :-)
Mon 18/02/02 at 22:51
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I don't know jack about Dreamwaver ... but does it let you write your own code in??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.