GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FTP error"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/07/12 at 22:01
Regular
Just created a new free account about an hour ago. Cant get FTP to work via Cyberduck getting authentication failed.

Can I FTP with the free site ?

Also do I need to wait for full activation if I can ?

Cheers
Wed 25/07/12 at 19:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
I think I mentioned that port '21' may not be needed ;¬)

Excuse me ;¬)
Wed 25/07/12 at 11:47
"Are you sure?"
Good stuff! Thanks for letting us know how you got on.

I think I mentioned that port '21' may not be needed ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/07/12 at 10:33
Regular
Finally got it working with

ftp://vip*******@vip13.freeola.net/htdocs/

Thanks for the replies.
Tue 24/07/12 at 20:22
Regular
Is there a Mac version ?

DL wrote:
faymondo wrote:
[i]Is there an FTP client that I can set to automatically upload every 15 mins if I cant sort the FTP through the software out ?

I've used this one for a few years now ...

CoreFTP[/i]
Tue 24/07/12 at 20:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
faymondo wrote:
Is there an FTP client that I can set to automatically upload every 15 mins if I cant sort the FTP through the software out ?

I've used this one for a few years now ...

CoreFTP
Tue 24/07/12 at 20:00
Regular
Still no joy. The weather software is weathercat for Mac.

I can FTP through my mac and by using cyberduck but not through the weather software itself, which is whats needed to post weather updates every 15 mins.

Is there an FTP client that I can set to automatically upload every 15 mins if I cant sort the FTP through the software out ?
Tue 24/07/12 at 17:29
"Are you sure?"
Hi faymondo :¬)

FTP access often takes an hour or two to become available for new domains. But as you seem to have FTP access it's probably just a matter of getting the file name correct for your weather station script.

Freeola Help page:
...the path to your website on the server would simply be “/home/sites/vipnumber/httpd/htdocs” so for VIP user VIP9865441 the path to your webspace would be “/home/sites/vip9865441/httpd/htdocs”.

There are more FTP details here which may help depending on how you are doing things. I'm not sure you'll need the port 21 part which may be what @DL is saying?

If you are still stuck if may be worth giving details on your weather station package. It might be worth giving more details anyway as it sounds interesting! :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 24/07/12 at 16:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi and welcome ...

This bit should suffice:

vip13.freeola.net

:¬)
Tue 24/07/12 at 16:06
Regular
Cheers I have bought 3 months VIP.

I can get cybderduck to upload via FTP.

I have a weather station which can FTP to a site.

It requires

FTP username
FTP password
URL to directory

I have tried using the username and password on my FTP settings and also the directory but I get the message log in error check username and password.

I assume its the URL that I am getting wrong as the top two are a given.

I have tried
ftp://vip*******@vip13.freeola.net:21/ and ftp://vip*******@vip13.freeola.net:21/htdocs/

Any ideas what the correct URL should be ?
Tue 24/07/12 at 13:40
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Warhunt :¬)

For others reading this I've been using Freeola's free website hosting via a Freeola connection for 12+ years - it works well for me!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.