GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MIssing webmaster .... da,,da,,daaa,,,,"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/12 at 15:58
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Dear All but more aimed towards Freeola staffies...

Here's an interesting(ish) situation.

One of my colleagues owns a business who's web site creation/hosting was contracted to a one-man-band web designer.

Apparently the web site has been 'hacked' (not quite sure of the details of the hacking at this point but not really relevant) so the client needs to upload a new 'clean' site.

Problem is the web-master has gone walkabout in Australia somewhere with no idea of return date - if at all. The ISP (1and1) are probably quite rightly saying that because the site is registered to the one-man-band they will not allow access or reveal FTP username/passwords.

Can my mate take any legal steps toward gaining access to their site files or recovering the domain name to be used eleswhere (I have offered my services to do this).

Or will the client have to suck it up and change domains?

Opinions/comments most welcome.

JTD
Wed 18/07/12 at 16:08
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
just to put you all out of your suspense..

...walkabout-guy has surfaced after being AWOL for two weeks. Not sure what my mates company's boss has said to him but I know what I'd be saying.

Thanks for the comments.

JTD
Tue 17/07/12 at 20:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:

FWIW (may help others reading this) I always register my domains in the name of my clients so if I should "go under a bus" they would be able to reclaim control etc. I've met a number of businesses who have entered a similar nightmare to your friend with their old domains.

'Moi aussi' ... first step, explain the 'in and outs' and then register in the client's name! Both sides are then fully aware of responsibilities. Excellent advice Hmmm :¬)
Tue 17/07/12 at 16:24
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
I didn't. I have now.

they have the .co.uk and the .com addresses.

thanks
Tue 17/07/12 at 16:23
"Are you sure?"
Just checking you saw my Nominet suggestion I added after posting... :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 17/07/12 at 16:20
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm... wrote:
JimTheDog wrote:
[i]Opinions/comments most welcome.

FWIW (may help others reading this) I always register my domains in the name of my clients so if I should "go under a bus" they would be able to reclaim control etc. I've met a number of businesses who have entered a similar nightmare to your friend with their old domains.

Too late for your friend but perhaps something to think about for next time.

Also if you manage to reinstate the site make sure the security vulnerabilities have been fixed!

[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

Thanks Hmmm..., That's exactly what I was thinking of doing - only through Freeola of course.

I've offered my services and given the same advice as you have given. They are twitchy about having to change domain names and lose any page rankings they have accumulated. I suspect there may have been some SEO work gone on too.

I'll keep you updated - it's always good to get a second opinion.

JTD
Tue 17/07/12 at 16:14
"Are you sure?"
JimTheDog wrote:

Hi JTD, Interesting situation.

Too late for your friend but perhaps something to think about for next time.

You would hope/think that a provider may be a bit flexible in this situation. Could you not make a non-hacked version of the site available for them to view and request that they use these files to reinstate things? That way they wouldn't have to reveal any passwords etc. They could use Google cache (or archive.org) if necessary to confirm the content. Also if the site contains(ed) business contact details you would hope this would help show them this was a valid request if they contacted the company.

I can understand why they would get a bit twitchy about allowing you to move providers though.

Also if you manage to reinstate the site make sure the security vulnerabilities have been fixed!

If it's a .uk TLD then you could also try Nominet's dispute resolution

Let us know how you get on.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 17/07/12 at 15:58
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Dear All but more aimed towards Freeola staffies...

Here's an interesting(ish) situation.

One of my colleagues owns a business who's web site creation/hosting was contracted to a one-man-band web designer.

Apparently the web site has been 'hacked' (not quite sure of the details of the hacking at this point but not really relevant) so the client needs to upload a new 'clean' site.

Problem is the web-master has gone walkabout in Australia somewhere with no idea of return date - if at all. The ISP (1and1) are probably quite rightly saying that because the site is registered to the one-man-band they will not allow access or reveal FTP username/passwords.

Can my mate take any legal steps toward gaining access to their site files or recovering the domain name to be used eleswhere (I have offered my services to do this).

Or will the client have to suck it up and change domains?

JTD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.