GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"dual booting windows 7 +xp"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/12 at 18:37
Regular
hi, me pc has just thrown a fit,
when it was built, it had windows 7 on it as the main os, but i had windows xp put on as some of the games ive got wont run in 7. i had it dual booted, by the people who built it, and all was well for a while. Now icant boot to xp, can anyone out there help me?.
Wed 11/07/12 at 19:35
Regular
"I like turtles"
Glad to hear you've got it sorted :)
Wed 11/07/12 at 18:25
Regular
hi, idid try the download EasyBCD 2.1.2, it has worked a treat
So a great big thanks for all the suggestions and help. EasyBCD2.1.2 has other tools included as well.
Tue 10/07/12 at 14:33
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
What prevents you from booting into Windows XP? Do you simply not get the prompt to select your Operating System when your PC boots or do you receive an error message after selecting Windows XP?

From what you've said, I'm going to assume that it was the first mentioned scenario.

If the two Operating Systems are installed on the same hard drive, I'd recommend installing the free version of EasyBCD.

I've used this before to sort out general boot loader issues with Windows 7 and to dual boot.

If this isn't the problem you're having, we'll need to know more about your set up and what's actually going wrong.

Good luck.
Tue 10/07/12 at 09:39
Regular
"I like turtles"
hollydog wrote:
yes it is the same hollydog, i never had vista on my machine, i went straight from xp to 7. windows 7 is my main operating syst., and xp as i said in my original post, is the one that some of my games run on, but ewont run on 7, or the other way round.

So is XP installed on a separate hard drive or partition then?, if so then please have a read of my earlier post.

If this is not the case can you not try running these games in Windows 7's XP compatibility mode?, this feature is only available on professional and ultimate versions of Windows 7 though (not on home editions). However, even if you do not have a version of those mentioned operating systems then apparently this can still be done.

Well you can't say I haven't tried DL? :)
Tue 10/07/12 at 09:17
Regular
yes it is the same hollydog, i never had vista on my machine, i went straight from xp to 7. windows 7 is my main operating syst., and xp as i said in my original post, is the one that some of my games run on, but ewont run on 7, or the other way round.
Mon 09/07/12 at 22:50
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Not so certain there pete ... this is the same Hollydog that wanted Bioshock assistance earlier! W7 and XP seem strange bed fellows ;¬)
Mon 09/07/12 at 20:56
Regular
"I like turtles"
When you say dual boot I'm presuming you are not running these programs in Windows 7's XP compatibility mode but you have Windows 7 on 1 drive (or partition) and XP on another?

If this is the case then the first thing I would try is attempting to boot XP in safe mode, if this works you could always try rolling your system back using system restore? If this is not successful then a more 'forceful' option is to use an XP repair boot CD, I have always found Winternals ERD Commander to be superb at fixing poorly XP systems. I've had it for a few years but not sure where you might be able to get it from now?

Failing that another option is to try a repair load using your XP install disc. I have also had success using this technique but you usually have to reload and re-install all your Windows updates after doing this.

Good luck! :)
Mon 09/07/12 at 18:37
Regular
hi, me pc has just thrown a fit,
when it was built, it had windows 7 on it as the main os, but i had windows xp put on as some of the games ive got wont run in 7. i had it dual booted, by the people who built it, and all was well for a while. Now icant boot to xp, can anyone out there help me?.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.