GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Celebrities"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/06/12 at 20:54
Regular
"How Ironic"
Celebrities have never had so much influence as they have presently. They're idolised, and many are more respected than the government or the monarchy, although that's not saying much. As the name would suggest, they're 'celebrated people'. It's very strange how people can become famous now, with the likes of Britain's Got Talent and viral videos making people famous for very wrong reasons. You only have to look at the likes of the Numa Numa Guy (many YouTube views, appeared on South Park, cult reference) or Chico (one cheesy music video and he's living quite comfortably off it) to see this.

So, what is it that makes us inspired by a particular person or makes us hate them? What is it that even defines a celebrity? Personally, I don't consider a celebrity to just be someone that is celebrated by others. I think it's a question of scale, or of how well known you are, whether it be for good or bad reasons.

Some celebrities that annoy me are some of the obvious ones, like Justin Beiber (I bet you knew he was going to show up) or Cristiano Ronaldo. Justin Beiber spawns from humble beginnings, playing guitar on the street and uploading YouTube videos, to now releasing movies and songs worldwide. Sounds a nice guy right? Maybe it's the fact that this little gherkin has a lot of money despite being little more than an embryo, whilst there are people out there who have fought for their country, or worked their entire lives without earning anywhere near as much. He's also a warped child too far up his own back passage.

I respect the likes of Evgeni Malkin (ice hockey player) though, and he's done little more than train physically and mentally and play a game he loves. What is it that makes me love Evgeni Malkin more than the likes of Justin Beiber? Some celebrities spawn from humble beginnings, become famous and stay the way they are. Others get sucked into the celebrity world, particularly young celebrities. I don't think anyone can argue that becoming famous at a young age doesn't mentally affect you. I can't think of many famous young people who haven't become somewhat obscure in their later life or have grown up malnourished of a real child hood (Michael Jackson, Justin Beiber).

There are also those celebrities who have become sucked into the bad side of the celebrity life; drugs and alcohol. From Kurt Cobain to Jimi Hendrix to Heath Ledger, drugs and booze have claimed so many promising celebrities. I can't understand what it is that causes celebrities to become drug dependant. Whether it's a stress-related cause or just a fun thing for them, I guess everyone has their own reasons as to why they start on the path to destruction.

Celebrities also seem to become more famous after they die. The day Michael Jackson died was unreal. For around a week, all the crazy fans came out of the cracks. Watching the news on mute, you would have thought with the tears and the number of people and the coverage of it that the second coming had appeared. It's the same with everything, when you lose something, you fully appreciate it because it will never return. A celebrities highest point in life is arguably their death. That is probably the point when the most people will remember and respect that celebrity's life, which is quite a sad prospect really.

Some of my favourite celebrities include Evgeni Malkin (already mentioned), Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson (although oddly enough, I hated the Phantom Menace), Rhys Darby, Bill Bailey, Marc-Andre Fleury (another ice hockey player), Mike Myers and Chris Kamara.

Some of my most hated are/were Justin Beiber, Amy Winehouse, Jedward, Cristiano Ronaldo, Russell Kane, Russell Brand and Wayne Rooney.

So, I put the topic to you. What makes a celebrity? Is it good for a young person to become famous? Who are your favourite celebrities and who are your most hated? If you could choose to be famous, what would you choose to be famous for?
Wed 04/07/12 at 19:30
Regular
"How Ironic"
It is a while since we've seen Warhunt. As you said, must be all of those champagne dinners and red carpet films he keeps attending.
Wed 04/07/12 at 19:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
Can't have the little fellas feeling left out now, can we?

Yea agree, it would be rather churlish not to ;¬)

@SC ... it's the 'celebrity status' ;¬)
Wed 04/07/12 at 17:01
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
I love the fact that the thread has switched to the discussion of Jelly Babies :-D Where's Warhunt when you need him to get things on track?

Eating Jelly babies..
Wed 04/07/12 at 12:09
Regular
"How Ironic"
I love the fact that the thread has switched to the discussion of Jelly Babies :-D Where's Warhunt when you need him to get things on track?
Tue 03/07/12 at 12:21
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]Yeah...

Some celebrities make me sick too..

You didn't did you chas?

You did, didn't you!!!! What the whole bag?

;¬)[/i]

It would be rude not to...

Can't have the little fellas feeling left out now, can we?
Mon 02/07/12 at 23:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
Yeah...

You didn't did you chas?

You did, didn't you!!!! What the whole bag?

;¬)
Mon 02/07/12 at 19:23
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
I have bad memories of Jelly Babies. Once ate a whole bag on the way to Alton Towers when I was little. Safe to say, it came back to say hello on the motorway. Never eaten them since.

Yeah...

Sun 01/07/12 at 14:29
Regular
"How Ironic"
I have bad memories of Jelly Babies. Once ate a whole bag on the way to Alton Towers when I was little. Safe to say, it came back to say hello on the motorway. Never eaten them since.
Sun 01/07/12 at 13:49
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]DL wrote:
[i]... and rightly so. Worthy of celebrity status, albeit brief!

In fact, I might have to buy a bag of celebrities on my way home later....[/i]

And so you should ... but did you know that Jelly Babies were launched by Bassett's in 1918 in Sheffield as "Peace Babies" to mark the end of World War I. So, rightful celebrities![/i]

Now that's a cool fact...

Might be that they'll be marking the end of my working day too!
Sun 01/07/12 at 13:13
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
DL wrote:
[i]... and rightly so. Worthy of celebrity status, albeit brief!

In fact, I might have to buy a bag of celebrities on my way home later....[/i]

And so you should ... but did you know that Jelly Babies were launched by Bassett's in 1918 in Sheffield as "Peace Babies" to mark the end of World War I. So, rightful celebrities!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.