GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Changing Motherboard Without Reinstalling Windows"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/06/12 at 09:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
I have been reading guides on how to swap a motherboard without having to flatten HDD and reinstall windows using the slipstream CD/Windows repair trick. Has anyone actually done this and got a system to work? I have the chance to buy a really good board, CPU & RAM bundle at a price that I would be extremely interested but I really do not want to have to wipe and reload this particular system. I'm suspecting that doing this may not be as straightforward as it might appear? OS is Windows XP Pro 64bit BTW, be grateful of any help.
Sat 07/07/12 at 23:11
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Don't you fret pete ... all are welcome on the BF3 killing fields :¬) If I can manage Major rank with a Q9550 and a GeForce 9800GTX+ , then I'm sure you can do something with your new toy!!!! Tell your brother to behave ;¬)
Sat 07/07/12 at 21:07
Regular
"I like turtles"
Ha ha, my PC gaming brother said the same and then he started sulking because apparently my PC now is marginally more powerful than his! Seriously, it's a beast, I'm just going to have to hide the credit card bill from my Mrs. when it arrives! ;)
Sat 07/07/12 at 16:55
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Haha :¬D Go for it 'Big Gun' ... and well done! See you soon on BF3 soldier ;¬)
Sat 07/07/12 at 15:02
Regular
"I like turtles"
New board installed (did have X64 drivers), tried the repair load trick and it wouldn't even boot! Wasn't that surprised TBH and had backed up everything before attempted it. Anyway, 1 new Gigabyte board, i7 2600K, 16GB DDR3 1600 mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM and a copy of Windows 7 64 bit later and everything seems good :)
Sun 24/06/12 at 21:14
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dr. Garin wrote:
Does the motherboard have 64 bit XP drivers?

That's a damn good question, will check that out.

I've done it in the past without even using repair. One thing is true regardless of the method, your machine will work but it wont necessarily work efficiently.

That's what I thought might be the case, suppose if I try it I have to be prepared to flatten it and put a newer OS on if the repair load trick doesn't really do the job? I suppose another option is to back up my current system to a spare drive so I could put my current board and HDD into a different tower and keep the XP Pro 64 system as well?

Thanks Garin.
Sun 24/06/12 at 19:42
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Does the motherboard have 64 bit XP drivers?

I've done it in the past without even using repair. One thing is true regardless of the method, your machine will work but it wont necessarily work efficiently.
Sun 24/06/12 at 09:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
I have been reading guides on how to swap a motherboard without having to flatten HDD and reinstall windows using the slipstream CD/Windows repair trick. Has anyone actually done this and got a system to work? I have the chance to buy a really good board, CPU & RAM bundle at a price that I would be extremely interested but I really do not want to have to wipe and reload this particular system. I'm suspecting that doing this may not be as straightforward as it might appear? OS is Windows XP Pro 64bit BTW, be grateful of any help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.