GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Original Ideas For Films"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 21:06
Regular
Even though, in my opinion, film making in general is better today ( with a few exceptions ) than it has ever been, I think that good original ideas are thin on the ground. Much like today's music, where it seems that almost every combination of notes has been used now and a good original tune is about as common as the proverbial rocking horse excrement. As a result, we have to make do with just a droning beat instead of a melody.
With films we have the good old American teen fest. A choice of Road Trip or American Pie or Scary Movie or Dude, Where's My Car. If you watch all the films back to back, you can hardly see the join. It invariably involves some all American boy in a mating ritual with various under age livestock or non-consenting pastries.
Meanwhile, back in good old Blighty, there's the British gangster film. I can picture the scene now. it's the middle of the night and the director sits bolt upright in bed 'I've got it' he yells, 'i'm going to make a gangster film'. He goes on to say that he'll phone Ray Winston and Vinny Jones and haw it will be the best British film since the last one. ' Come to think of it' he says ' we haven't had a British gangster film for maybe five or even six days now!' ' Oh, shut up and come back to bed' orders his wife. ' Sorry Madge' he says.
Not an original idea between them. They could take a leaf out of M.Night Shayamalan's book who in The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable has made two of the most thought provoking movies in years. He doesn't comply to the usual Hollywood fodder.
Other notable films of similar status of recent years include Seven and the relatively new Memento which confusingly but originally plays the film backwards. I also see that Groundhog Day is re-appearing on DVD. A great comedy of a great idea.
None of these films, however, can live up to the best idea that anyone has ever submitted to film..It's A Wonderful Life by Frank Capra. Pure genius.
Wed 13/06/12 at 23:15
Regular
hi all, I'm jamie from that scruffy village near codnor, I'm having a fishing match with some friends and luke and iv got myself into a little bit of a situation, see, I'm all fart and no follow thru, and for the past few days at work I have been running my mouth about being a good angler, and now I'm s******g it because I know so very little, if any one could give me any tips on how to fish this lake or what bus to catch to get there it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks,
Sun 17/02/02 at 22:10
Regular
"That's right!"
The 80s was the golden age of film making, and when CGI became common in the late 90s, they made some classics then too
Sun 17/02/02 at 21:29
Regular
"Woah dude!"
Original movies are around ,they just need to be found.
Check out 'Clerks'.You'll love it, i promise.
Sun 17/02/02 at 21:13
Regular
"mariachi"
unfortunately, movies are made by studios in order to make money. that is why when a studio takes a risk and does something different (an example: x-men) and it is a success, we see a lot of other studios following suit (spiderman, the hulk, superman is being resurrected, daredevil)or the studio will rush a sequel into production (scary movie 2, etc.)
Sun 17/02/02 at 21:06
Even though, in my opinion, film making in general is better today ( with a few exceptions ) than it has ever been, I think that good original ideas are thin on the ground. Much like today's music, where it seems that almost every combination of notes has been used now and a good original tune is about as common as the proverbial rocking horse excrement. As a result, we have to make do with just a droning beat instead of a melody.
With films we have the good old American teen fest. A choice of Road Trip or American Pie or Scary Movie or Dude, Where's My Car. If you watch all the films back to back, you can hardly see the join. It invariably involves some all American boy in a mating ritual with various under age livestock or non-consenting pastries.
Meanwhile, back in good old Blighty, there's the British gangster film. I can picture the scene now. it's the middle of the night and the director sits bolt upright in bed 'I've got it' he yells, 'i'm going to make a gangster film'. He goes on to say that he'll phone Ray Winston and Vinny Jones and haw it will be the best British film since the last one. ' Come to think of it' he says ' we haven't had a British gangster film for maybe five or even six days now!' ' Oh, shut up and come back to bed' orders his wife. ' Sorry Madge' he says.
Not an original idea between them. They could take a leaf out of M.Night Shayamalan's book who in The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable has made two of the most thought provoking movies in years. He doesn't comply to the usual Hollywood fodder.
Other notable films of similar status of recent years include Seven and the relatively new Memento which confusingly but originally plays the film backwards. I also see that Groundhog Day is re-appearing on DVD. A great comedy of a great idea.
None of these films, however, can live up to the best idea that anyone has ever submitted to film..It's A Wonderful Life by Frank Capra. Pure genius.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.