GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multiplexing Method"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/06/12 at 20:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Without being too pedantic ... what 'Multiplexing Method' do Freeola suggest for Netgear Routers? Your 'guide' gives most settings, but not these!

For the DLink DSL-G604T, you supplied me with years ago, it was LLC-based. Do I assume the same exists with the Netgear N150 DGN1000 or is it VC-based as this seems to be its default?

Of the two routers, mentioned above, which would be the best in your opinion to cover most household requirements?
Thu 14/06/12 at 14:19
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
dean5 wrote:
It may well be worth trying VC as it is suggested to be slightly faster, and it is the setting that we would normally recommend. If it isn't any better, it's fairly easy to switch back.

Early days yet dean5, but 'VC-based' has been in operation for about 2 hours and on reflection, it seems to give a slower response time than LLC-based.
Thu 14/06/12 at 11:13
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
DL wrote:
The Netgear is presently set at LLC based and seems to be ok but from what you mention perhaps I better reset it to VC based?

It may well be worth trying VC as it is suggested to be slightly faster, and it is the setting that we would normally recommend. If it isn't any better, it's fairly easy to switch back.
Thu 14/06/12 at 09:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
dean5 wrote:
I'm not really sure of the ins and outs but the setting we use is VC-MUX or VC based. Up until now, I didn't realise that LLC actually worked with Freeola connections.

Most likely, the reason it's not in the guide is because the model that the guide was written for didn't list this setting.

On a quick search of the Internet, most sources seem to suggest that that LLC is a slightly older protocol with more overhead on data packets.

Thanks for that dean5. The DLink router has worked with the LLC setting for years with a Freeola connection. I remember changing it to VC, but quickly reverted as the router didn't seem to like it!

The Netgear is presently set at LLC based and seems to be ok but from what you mention perhaps I better reset it to VC based?
Thu 14/06/12 at 08:53
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I'm not really sure of the ins and outs but the setting we use is VC-MUX or VC based. Up until now, I didn't realise that LLC actually worked with Freeola connections.

Most likely, the reason it's not in the guide is because the model that the guide was written for didn't list this setting.

On a quick search of the Internet, most sources seem to suggest that that LLC is a slightly older protocol with more overhead on data packets.
Wed 13/06/12 at 20:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Without being too pedantic ... what 'Multiplexing Method' do Freeola suggest for Netgear Routers? Your 'guide' gives most settings, but not these!

For the DLink DSL-G604T, you supplied me with years ago, it was LLC-based. Do I assume the same exists with the Netgear N150 DGN1000 or is it VC-based as this seems to be its default?

Of the two routers, mentioned above, which would be the best in your opinion to cover most household requirements?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.