GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of Internet"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/09/00 at 06:11
Regular
This is my contender for Gameaday, but even if it doesn't win I still enjoy writing about this subject.
The internet is a wondrous place today, you can find anything you want on it, and plenty of things that you don't want too. However, what is the future for this ever developing electronic database?
Technically, the internet is the hardware, servers, PC's connecting to it, mainly institution and business based. The World Wide Web is all the "pages" contained in the sites, which we access through our browsers. There are hundreds of pages added to the WWW every day, and new ideas and newsgroups and forums (even this one), all go to shaping the future of this incredible invention.
How can it best be shaped to help with gaming though. At present we are still in infancy, with games playing on the Web being a very technical and often tricky process. With the advent of plug and play technology over the last 3 years this has become a lot easier, but by know means simple, you still require a bit of technical knowledge to get hooked up and playing without crashing out all the time. Perhaps the new generations of consoles, with their online capabilities, can be an aid in simplifying network gaming?
Or perhaps it will take just one site, with the proper links and simple language, that will be the greatest aid to helping gamers play on this format. I have yet to find a site that offers this, and I challenge anyone to build a site that will allow you just at the press of a button to start playing a game. That would be my dream. As it is, at present you either have to buy a copy of the game (complete with the weighty tome of an instruction manual) or proceed through the complicated process of registering online, downloading software, configuring and reading and working out what you have to do. How long will it be before these processes are made fully automatic?
The future is looking better, with HTML being developed (the language used to build web pages) and having ever more powerful commands put at its disposal, it won't be long before it replaces French in schools as part of the national curriculum. Perhaps that is the way forward, educating our current and future generations in the ways of the Web, so that all that follow may benefit from this learning. Only time will tell.
Sun 24/09/00 at 20:47
Regular
The internet is getting faster every time like cars are now. Soon you will have free internet access running smoothly. If your looking for one right now go to www.redhotant.com. You are now able to buy almost anything. Now .com's .co.uk's and .net's are being typed in all over the world. Nintendo, Sony and Sega are looking at the Internet to lure people to their next gen consoles. The internet is becoming a daily routine now, checking your email and looking for the latest news the net delivers fast.
And we are using it more to commnucate with people around the world and to people you don't even know like in these discussions. Online gaming is becoming a big thing, but is nothing like sitting with a couple of friends round a TV.
Thu 21/09/00 at 06:11
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
This is my contender for Gameaday, but even if it doesn't win I still enjoy writing about this subject.
The internet is a wondrous place today, you can find anything you want on it, and plenty of things that you don't want too. However, what is the future for this ever developing electronic database?
Technically, the internet is the hardware, servers, PC's connecting to it, mainly institution and business based. The World Wide Web is all the "pages" contained in the sites, which we access through our browsers. There are hundreds of pages added to the WWW every day, and new ideas and newsgroups and forums (even this one), all go to shaping the future of this incredible invention.
How can it best be shaped to help with gaming though. At present we are still in infancy, with games playing on the Web being a very technical and often tricky process. With the advent of plug and play technology over the last 3 years this has become a lot easier, but by know means simple, you still require a bit of technical knowledge to get hooked up and playing without crashing out all the time. Perhaps the new generations of consoles, with their online capabilities, can be an aid in simplifying network gaming?
Or perhaps it will take just one site, with the proper links and simple language, that will be the greatest aid to helping gamers play on this format. I have yet to find a site that offers this, and I challenge anyone to build a site that will allow you just at the press of a button to start playing a game. That would be my dream. As it is, at present you either have to buy a copy of the game (complete with the weighty tome of an instruction manual) or proceed through the complicated process of registering online, downloading software, configuring and reading and working out what you have to do. How long will it be before these processes are made fully automatic?
The future is looking better, with HTML being developed (the language used to build web pages) and having ever more powerful commands put at its disposal, it won't be long before it replaces French in schools as part of the national curriculum. Perhaps that is the way forward, educating our current and future generations in the ways of the Web, so that all that follow may benefit from this learning. Only time will tell.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.