GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Plants vs Zombies "

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Plants vs Zombies'.
Sat 09/06/12 at 17:39
Regular
For the purpose of this review, the PC version was used.

Wow. I can sit down and play this game for HOURS non-stop! This game came out May 5, 2009, and it hasn't gotten old.

The main aim of the game is to stop the Zombies from getting into your house, and the only source of defense is a load of seeds that grow into plant-arsenal, or as it says on the back of the box, "home guardin' plants" You need sun to plant the plants - a regular sized sun is worth 25 sun, so you need 4 sun to get enough to get a Pea-shooter, your main plant which costs 100 sun. The reason I said "regular sized sun is that you can actually buy a plant - which is actually a mushroom, which is called a Sun-Shroom (all the plants have their own awesome names) and that gives tiny sun that is worth 15. In day levels, sun falls from the sky, but in night levels and fog levels, it is night and you have to rely on your sun-flowers, which cost 50 sun and they produce sun that you have survive on to build up your plant defenses. There are upgrades and I could explain all them and make this paragraph a whole novel, but it will tell you about those later in the review.

This game has 50 levels, and 49 plants are unlocked throughout the levels, some of which you buy from Crazy Dave's Shop of Twiddy- dinkies. There you can buy upgrades, seeds for your Zen garden, the Tree of Wisdom, tree food, the Roof Lawn-mowers, more Zen gardens, the golden Watering can, and the Wheelbarrow - all of which will come clear soon in this review.

Now, let's start with story. In this game, every 5th level is a different level, or a puzzle level, such as Vase Breaker or Wall-nut Bowling.
And for the gamers who feel disheartened at the world "puzzle", maybe because you're a more "action-lover gamer" then don't be. These puzzle levels are not the average puzzle game, like Sudoku or Bejeweled. These are still in the Plants Vs Zombies themes, and I have found, even though they have a similar concept, they are WAY more fun then the original.

There are lots of different kinds of levels also such as day levels, night levels, fog levels, and roof levels. On day levels and roof levels, you cannot plant mushrooms as they are nocturnal, and will be asleep. Well, you can plant them but they won't do anything, unless you plant a coffee bean on them, which wakes them up. So there are many different possibilities.

Now let's talk about what you can buy in Crazy Dave's Shop of Twiddy Dinkies. Crazy Dave doesn't get his name for nothing you know. He is a bearded man with a soarcepan on his head. He owns a shop in the boot of his car which contain upgrades, extras, and just things you can do in your spare time.
Let's start off with the upgrades. The upgrades are plants you plant on the original plant to make it better, either do more damage or last longer. I'm not going to spoil all the surprises for these so I will put a spoiler thingy over them:

Show Spoiler

Another thing you can buy in the Shop is the tree of wisdom. Give it tree food and make it grow really, high, and the higher you get it to go lets you enter more different cheats to make your gameplay experience better. Also, every time you give it tree food - for a certain amount of time before it runs out of wisdom, it says all sorts of cheats and tips to help you to complete the levels.

Also available in the market are gardens. The Zen garden is the first one you get for free when you complete one of the last roof levels. For this now - mostly in mini-games- you can find plants for your Zen garden, and you buy a watering can - you already have a green watering can but it can be upgraded to a golden one and this can water up to 4 plants at a time. Plus, you can sell your plants for coins at Crazy Dave's shop.

Now, I haven't talked about the zombies yet have I? There are 26 zombies in total, all of which have a special ability. The Yeti zombie is another type of zombie. You find him on
Show Spoiler
and he is very hard to kill. He is the second largest zombie in the game - the first being the lawn-mower zombie - and he is the last one that is available to find. You get a book quite early in the game called the Almanac, which is a book where you can see all the plants and zombies you have discovered, and the gap where the Yeti zombie went stayed empty for ages. I was too busy trying to figure out what level you found him in!

Anyway, the last one on the list on the almanac is the boss, Dr. Zomboss - he is the massive robot-zombie you have to defeat on the last level, level 5-10. It takes the whole level to kill him and it it not easy!

So, the point I have been trying to get across to you is that this is a BIG game! there are many elements that I haven't even got to yet but if i explained every last bit of the game then it would turn into a whole novel.
So if you want a massively addictive game that will entertain you for over 90 hours (literally) then buy this game!

(Note: I've heard Amazon UK are selling this quite cheap at the moment - so buy it fast before it goes out of stock)

So overall, a very good game.

- 98%

*edited by SC on 01/07/2012*
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 09/06/12 at 17:39
Regular
For the purpose of this review, the PC version was used.

Wow. I can sit down and play this game for HOURS non-stop! This game came out May 5, 2009, and it hasn't gotten old.

The main aim of the game is to stop the Zombies from getting into your house, and the only source of defense is a load of seeds that grow into plant-arsenal, or as it says on the back of the box, "home guardin' plants" You need sun to plant the plants - a regular sized sun is worth 25 sun, so you need 4 sun to get enough to get a Pea-shooter, your main plant which costs 100 sun. The reason I said "regular sized sun is that you can actually buy a plant - which is actually a mushroom, which is called a Sun-Shroom (all the plants have their own awesome names) and that gives tiny sun that is worth 15. In day levels, sun falls from the sky, but in night levels and fog levels, it is night and you have to rely on your sun-flowers, which cost 50 sun and they produce sun that you have survive on to build up your plant defenses. There are upgrades and I could explain all them and make this paragraph a whole novel, but it will tell you about those later in the review.

This game has 50 levels, and 49 plants are unlocked throughout the levels, some of which you buy from Crazy Dave's Shop of Twiddy- dinkies. There you can buy upgrades, seeds for your Zen garden, the Tree of Wisdom, tree food, the Roof Lawn-mowers, more Zen gardens, the golden Watering can, and the Wheelbarrow - all of which will come clear soon in this review.

Now, let's start with story. In this game, every 5th level is a different level, or a puzzle level, such as Vase Breaker or Wall-nut Bowling.
And for the gamers who feel disheartened at the world "puzzle", maybe because you're a more "action-lover gamer" then don't be. These puzzle levels are not the average puzzle game, like Sudoku or Bejeweled. These are still in the Plants Vs Zombies themes, and I have found, even though they have a similar concept, they are WAY more fun then the original.

There are lots of different kinds of levels also such as day levels, night levels, fog levels, and roof levels. On day levels and roof levels, you cannot plant mushrooms as they are nocturnal, and will be asleep. Well, you can plant them but they won't do anything, unless you plant a coffee bean on them, which wakes them up. So there are many different possibilities.

Now let's talk about what you can buy in Crazy Dave's Shop of Twiddy Dinkies. Crazy Dave doesn't get his name for nothing you know. He is a bearded man with a soarcepan on his head. He owns a shop in the boot of his car which contain upgrades, extras, and just things you can do in your spare time.
Let's start off with the upgrades. The upgrades are plants you plant on the original plant to make it better, either do more damage or last longer. I'm not going to spoil all the surprises for these so I will put a spoiler thingy over them:

Show Spoiler

Another thing you can buy in the Shop is the tree of wisdom. Give it tree food and make it grow really, high, and the higher you get it to go lets you enter more different cheats to make your gameplay experience better. Also, every time you give it tree food - for a certain amount of time before it runs out of wisdom, it says all sorts of cheats and tips to help you to complete the levels.

Also available in the market are gardens. The Zen garden is the first one you get for free when you complete one of the last roof levels. For this now - mostly in mini-games- you can find plants for your Zen garden, and you buy a watering can - you already have a green watering can but it can be upgraded to a golden one and this can water up to 4 plants at a time. Plus, you can sell your plants for coins at Crazy Dave's shop.

Now, I haven't talked about the zombies yet have I? There are 26 zombies in total, all of which have a special ability. The Yeti zombie is another type of zombie. You find him on
Show Spoiler
and he is very hard to kill. He is the second largest zombie in the game - the first being the lawn-mower zombie - and he is the last one that is available to find. You get a book quite early in the game called the Almanac, which is a book where you can see all the plants and zombies you have discovered, and the gap where the Yeti zombie went stayed empty for ages. I was too busy trying to figure out what level you found him in!

Anyway, the last one on the list on the almanac is the boss, Dr. Zomboss - he is the massive robot-zombie you have to defeat on the last level, level 5-10. It takes the whole level to kill him and it it not easy!

So, the point I have been trying to get across to you is that this is a BIG game! there are many elements that I haven't even got to yet but if i explained every last bit of the game then it would turn into a whole novel.
So if you want a massively addictive game that will entertain you for over 90 hours (literally) then buy this game!

(Note: I've heard Amazon UK are selling this quite cheap at the moment - so buy it fast before it goes out of stock)

So overall, a very good game.

- 98%

*edited by SC on 01/07/2012*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.