GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BBC2 in Simpsons crises - D'OH!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 17:27
Regular
Here is an article taken from www.frinky.com:

The BBC has quit talks to buy future episodes of The Simpsons.

It said rival channels had pushed the price to "ludicrous" levels.

The BBC already has the rights to screen shows for the next few years.

But it says it felt it was unable to justify spending so much of licence payers' cash on the show to continue the deal.

Episodes are understood to have cost around £100,000 each until now, but a bidding war has pushed these to more than £700,000.

Channel 5 and Channel 4 are still in negotiations to land The Simpsons, which is one of BBC2's big family draws.

However, BBC2 controller Jane Root has walked out of talks because of the excessive cost.

It follows the same channel's withdrawal from discussions to tie up a new deal with Naked Chef Jamie Oliver last week because of unease about his commercial deals with Sainsbury's.

The decision to pull out of Simpsons talks does not mean that the season ends suddenly on BBC2. It will continue to show the programme until the end of 2006 with three new series and repeats.

But the successful bidder will also get the right to the repeats in a matter of months - and it will begin showing new editions of the programme in 2004.

A BBC spokesman said today: "It got to the point where it was a ludicrous price and too much money for us to be able to justify in terms of the licence fee.
Sun 24/02/02 at 14:07
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Channel 4 are dumb!

So they pay £700,000 per episode. BUT the episodes are from the poor simpsons years - seasen 12-13. Yeah at first terestrial viewers will find it amazing to see the latest episodes. But soon they will realise they are not that great. So will mainly watch Simpsons on BBC 2, who have the better episodes for a much cheaper price.

And all the time, us Sky, Cable and Digital viewers will be watching the whole lot on one channel.
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:41
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
Ha who cares who shows it, be nice to see it still with no ad breaks but hey i'm getting used to those and while i have sky one i don't care :)
Fri 22/02/02 at 16:51
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Taken from frinky.com

Channel 4 has won the rights to broadcast The Simpsons, it was announced tonight.

The BBC pulled out of negotiations at the weekend after being asked to pay £700,000 an episode.

Viewers will be able to watch The Simpsons on the BBC until the end of 2006 with three new series and repeats.

Channel 5 had also been hoping to secure the rights.

Channel 4 has acquired UK terrestrial rights to upcoming new episodes starting with series 12 and 13.

As part of the deal, Channel 4 has also acquired the rights to terrestrial repeats of previous series.

The UK pay-TV rights to The Simpsons are not included in Channel 4's deal. Channel 4's director of programmes, Tim Gardam, said: "We are very excited to have secured the rights to what is broadly recognised as one of TV s most creative, original and brilliant shows. The Simpsons will help reinforce Channel 4's appeal with young and upmarket audiences."

June Dromgoole, Channel 4 s controller of programme acquisition, added: "The Simpsons is a natural fit with Channel 4s long-standing tradition of showcasing the best of US television. It is one of the most enduring and successful series in television history and its popularity with British audiences is self-evident."

Dawn Airey, Channel Five chief executive, said: "We're obviously disappointed as we put in what we considered to be a very competitive bid."

Sky One has had the pay-TV rights to the show since it began on its sister Fox network in 1989.
Thu 21/02/02 at 00:05
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I think what the writers do is; make a storyline to go with the episode, but the episode revolves around everything else, with the story there to keep people on track is to were the episode is going
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:49
Regular
"That's right!"
slave2games wrote:
I think it still is the great show that it's always been

----------------

OK, this is the mould that all the new episodes follow

1. They spend the first 5/10 mins with some storyline
2. Because of that story, something happens
3. They do something in the last 5 mins
4. End of episode

They've still got some funny jokes, but what I said is true

eg. The one where we find out about Smither's dad (even though he was alive in other episodes) They didn't even find the skull until about 10/15 minutes into the episode, and the episodes are only 20 mins long!
Wed 20/02/02 at 21:19
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Mystique wrote:
> Shuggy McGoch wrote:
> odds on that channel 5 sign up jaimie oliver instead
> to do the naked chef show-
> naked

he best not cook anything that
> spatters then;o)

Or get too close to the hob. Ouch!

And just imagine if one of his razor-sharp chopping knives accidentaly slipped......

Pain!!!
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:33
Why would the end of analog broadcasting mean these deals are irrelevant? The current terrestrial channels also broadcast in digital.
Tue 19/02/02 at 23:54
Regular
"everyone says it"
Doesn't make the slightest and smallest tiny crap piece of difference, analog television will completely disappear within the next three years, so all these deals that you talk about, are completely pointless, BBC aren't making enough money, so they lose the programs. That is the truth, the end of the BBC is actually very close.

Do I care.. no not really, as long as Buffy stays around.
Tue 19/02/02 at 23:27
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
MoJoJoJo wrote:

Excuse me? Where have you been all these years?

I've been watching the Simpsons :), but wether or not it has been going downhill is a matter of opinion; I think it still is the great show that it's always been
Tue 19/02/02 at 23:19
Regular
Shuggy McGoch wrote:
> odds on that channel 5 sign up jaimie oliver instead to do the naked chef show-
> naked

he best not cook anything that spatters then;o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.