GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Basic Livedrive Questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/12 at 19:37
Regular
Just joined Freeola, and starting to think about using the livedrive for backup,
however I have some questions which are not answered in the marketing guff.

Though I would just ask here before starting a ticket.
I did try livedrive themselves - as I imagine their knowledge base and FAQ will be all I need, but this reseller account is not allowed to view it.

Ok, hrm where to start.

1. Can I backup a external drive?, one that is rarely attached to the PC - or is this service limited to files in your system.

2. How is the backup configured in respect to how it actually handles files, ie What does it do with conflicts?, what about if the file I have is an older version than the one that was backed up to the cloud?
Is there deletion propagation, what if you want a file on the cloud only and not on the PC .

3. What if I change ISP, but want to continue with livedrive, is there an easy migration from this reseller free account to a paid one, without having to re-upload all my backups again.

Sorry if these have been asked, I did search, If you can help or point me to an accessible FAQ I would be grateful.

I have 2TB needing an extra cloud backup, and my exchange is old and slow, so i don't want to use a service unless I know I will only be uploading it once :)

Thanks for any help.
Wed 06/06/12 at 22:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Now there you are ... all sorted and ncrs is such a helpful and knowledgeable staffie :¬)
Wed 06/06/12 at 16:42
Regular
I just redid the calculations, and it would take me between 4 and 8 years to upload at my present speed, depending on how stable my upload connection is,
2893days @ 64kbps 7.9 years
1446.75 @ 128kbps 3.9 years

So, yes point taken, probably not the best solution for an online back up of archived material. lol

Plus you have to factor in the electric cost of running a PC for that length of time, and the almost impossible task of checking if the files were uploaded correctly etc.

Anyway thanks for the answers I guess unlimited back up is not really that great, unless you have several MB/s up. or a service that allows you to send in a disk via the old mail route.

Nice to know you can continue with livedrive if you need to change isp. thanks.

Also nice to know the limits, ie 30days that they keep your data, when it disappears from the livedrive scan.

Almost wish I hadn't moved to the middle of nowhere now, but at least I have a garden if not a updated BT exchange.

Kind Regards
TT
Wed 06/06/12 at 16:12
Staff
1)You can, but it needs to be attached to your computer as the same physical driveletter each time eg e: .

However please note that if you leave the drive disconnected long enough, then the backup will be archived off. (I believe the maximum is 30 days, certainly no longer).

2) It will keep up to 30 versions of a conflicted file for up to 30 days. So if you keep changing a file it will store up to 30 variations of the file. After 30 days the old version of the file (as in point 1) gets archived off .
On the backup service (as opposed to the briefcase service) the file must exist on the local machine (or connected USB drive) to be provided on the cloud.

3)We'll contact you via email offering you the opportunity to take the service as a paid customer, if you migrate/cease with us. If you decide to you'll pay for the service on a quarterly basis, otherwise we'll cancel the account around a month or so after your broadband service cancels.

The other thing to be aware of is that uploading 2TB via a ADSL connection will take a very very long time (I suspect its probably not feasible, but who knows). Also uploading the backups will count against your usage allowance, so you might be best to run the backups at weekend or over night. Even if you have a really good connection your maximum upload is going to be around 1mbit (approx 128Kb/s) which will take around 2-3 hours to upload 1GB. Which means you'd have to run your ADSL connection at full tilt 24 hours a day for about 6 months to backup 2TB (think I got my maths right!).
Wed 06/06/12 at 10:13
Regular
Thanks for the welcome :)
Tue 05/06/12 at 21:54
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
transmitthis wrote:
Thanks for any help.

Hi transmitthis and welcome to the forums ...

Just to let you know that a few 'more knowledgeable forumites' will be leaping to provide some answers to your questions. I shall be interested, as I'm still waiting to take the 'plunge'. Have patience, my friend :¬)
Tue 05/06/12 at 19:37
Regular
Just joined Freeola, and starting to think about using the livedrive for backup,
however I have some questions which are not answered in the marketing guff.

Though I would just ask here before starting a ticket.
I did try livedrive themselves - as I imagine their knowledge base and FAQ will be all I need, but this reseller account is not allowed to view it.

Ok, hrm where to start.

1. Can I backup a external drive?, one that is rarely attached to the PC - or is this service limited to files in your system.

2. How is the backup configured in respect to how it actually handles files, ie What does it do with conflicts?, what about if the file I have is an older version than the one that was backed up to the cloud?
Is there deletion propagation, what if you want a file on the cloud only and not on the PC .

3. What if I change ISP, but want to continue with livedrive, is there an easy migration from this reseller free account to a paid one, without having to re-upload all my backups again.

Sorry if these have been asked, I did search, If you can help or point me to an accessible FAQ I would be grateful.

I have 2TB needing an extra cloud backup, and my exchange is old and slow, so i don't want to use a service unless I know I will only be uploading it once :)

Thanks for any help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.