GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"E3 2012"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/12 at 11:33
"possibly impossible"
Nintendo
Although Nintendo's announcements aren't until today, Nintendo have had a Pre-E3 Press Conference already where a few things have been clarified about the Wii U.

The Press Conference took viewers through the Wii U's controller and a few aspects of their social gaming ideas.

First up was the official unveiling of the controller changes since the prototype last year. It's been leaked enough already, but it's good to see that final design confirmed. We now have 2 full analogue sticks, rather than the nubs found on 3DS and a reader/writer for picking up figures and cards (think of it like a Skylanders portal).

Networking and social aspects seem to be a big part of Wii U, the first time Nintendo has really seemed serious about such things. Miis can communicate via the home screen as messages are left next to game and app icons. Mini Chat forums can be brought up during a game without disturbing the game and the Wii U can also be used as a video call device to friends.

Also shown was the ability to use the Wii U as a small TV screen, though it's still unclear how far the signal will stretch, with the current message still seeming to be 'the same room'. But you can also choose to send certain images or content from the internet browers on the controller to the TV.

Today's show was all about the games. But then why were some puzzlingly abscent?

Starting with Pikmin 3 is an interesting idea. Pikmin doesn't seem big enough to start a show, but I love them. It certainly broke the ice, anyway and looked great running on Wii U.

We had Mario out in force, Paper Mario looking interesting with stickers being used as weapons and New Super Mario Bros U on Wii U taking advantage of the tablet and the Mii Universe.

Batman Arkham City showed off the tablet use once again with tools and firing baterangs from the screen. It's not all that different from the current game, though, so I'm not sure who this will be marketed to.

Scribblenauts Unlimited for the Wii U had a really good editor and opens the game up even more than the last DS game did. It should be good on the big screen, even though Super Scribblenauts is found for 69p on iOS these days.

Mass Effect 3 on Wii U caused a big cheer from the audience, even though it's a bit late to the party. I guess there will be a new audience for the game now. This came alongside a flurry of other game videos for big franchises (Darksiders II, Aliens etc). It shows promise for the new console's core games suite but it does feel like Nintendo are playing catch-up.

Wii Fit and a new singing game called (wait for it) Sing were shown. Sing desperately wants to be the new Singstar and the Wii U as a screen for the lyrics was certainly an interesting gimmick.

Ubisoft showed off Assassin's Creed III on Wii U and a new IP ZombieU, both of which looked nice.

The other item of note (and flogged to death on stage) was Nintendo Land, a virtual fun park which aims to do for the Wii U what Wii Sports did for the Wii. It didn't look as if it was bundled with the console, though, which would be strange. Not having it in with the console would be a mistake in my opinion.

Microsoft
Content included an excellent looking Halo 4 preview , Forza Horizon (though it was a small preview with very little info about the game), new Resi Evil, South Park Sword of Truth and a few XBLA games including Twisted Pixel's Lococycle .

Interesting answer to the Wii U controller with Smartglass, where most tablets and phones can be used to control the screen (like a mouse) and show information as you play games and watch films (though not stream the TV to the device. It should be interesting to see how this is used in games.

Nike Fitness looked...like another fitness game.

Dance Central 3 looked like a refined version of the last game with Usher yet again involved in the choreography.

Sony
The Sony Conference had a lot of hype but didn't quite live up to this in my opinion. It did, however, have a few nice games on show including Assassin's Creed III Liberation on PS Vita, with the first female assassin. and Assassin's Creed III sea battles on PS3. Exclusive DLC on this and Farcry 3 was interesting, even if Wonderbook seemed to take up half the conference time.

Quantic Dreams game Beyond looked impressive, though no idea of how it will play. It looked completely different in tone to Heavy Rain and more action orientated.

Vita also had PS1 classics (finally) coming, Black Ops Declassified and the Playstation All Stars with cross play between PS3 and Vita. Also EA title Need For Speed Most Wanted .

Back to PS3, there was God of War Ascension gameplay, a look at using the Vita as a controller similar to MS's Smart Glass and Wii U's tablet ideas, The Last Of Us gameplay, which looked excellent and very gory.

Others
EA and Ubisoft both held big conferences during Monday, with EA showing off the new Need For Speed from Criterion which looks very nice, a sort of Burnout Paradise meets Most Wanted.

Ubisoft came out the strongest of the Monday conferences with Far Cry 3 (thanks for the mammaries) and Assassin's Creed III looking fantastic. Also the Wii U UZombie game was a complete surprise and Watch Dogs looked very interesting and cyberpunky (a sort of Deus Ex meets Mission Impossible).
Tue 05/06/12 at 11:33
"possibly impossible"
Nintendo
Although Nintendo's announcements aren't until today, Nintendo have had a Pre-E3 Press Conference already where a few things have been clarified about the Wii U.

The Press Conference took viewers through the Wii U's controller and a few aspects of their social gaming ideas.

First up was the official unveiling of the controller changes since the prototype last year. It's been leaked enough already, but it's good to see that final design confirmed. We now have 2 full analogue sticks, rather than the nubs found on 3DS and a reader/writer for picking up figures and cards (think of it like a Skylanders portal).

Networking and social aspects seem to be a big part of Wii U, the first time Nintendo has really seemed serious about such things. Miis can communicate via the home screen as messages are left next to game and app icons. Mini Chat forums can be brought up during a game without disturbing the game and the Wii U can also be used as a video call device to friends.

Also shown was the ability to use the Wii U as a small TV screen, though it's still unclear how far the signal will stretch, with the current message still seeming to be 'the same room'. But you can also choose to send certain images or content from the internet browers on the controller to the TV.

Today's show was all about the games. But then why were some puzzlingly abscent?

Starting with Pikmin 3 is an interesting idea. Pikmin doesn't seem big enough to start a show, but I love them. It certainly broke the ice, anyway and looked great running on Wii U.

We had Mario out in force, Paper Mario looking interesting with stickers being used as weapons and New Super Mario Bros U on Wii U taking advantage of the tablet and the Mii Universe.

Batman Arkham City showed off the tablet use once again with tools and firing baterangs from the screen. It's not all that different from the current game, though, so I'm not sure who this will be marketed to.

Scribblenauts Unlimited for the Wii U had a really good editor and opens the game up even more than the last DS game did. It should be good on the big screen, even though Super Scribblenauts is found for 69p on iOS these days.

Mass Effect 3 on Wii U caused a big cheer from the audience, even though it's a bit late to the party. I guess there will be a new audience for the game now. This came alongside a flurry of other game videos for big franchises (Darksiders II, Aliens etc). It shows promise for the new console's core games suite but it does feel like Nintendo are playing catch-up.

Wii Fit and a new singing game called (wait for it) Sing were shown. Sing desperately wants to be the new Singstar and the Wii U as a screen for the lyrics was certainly an interesting gimmick.

Ubisoft showed off Assassin's Creed III on Wii U and a new IP ZombieU, both of which looked nice.

The other item of note (and flogged to death on stage) was Nintendo Land, a virtual fun park which aims to do for the Wii U what Wii Sports did for the Wii. It didn't look as if it was bundled with the console, though, which would be strange. Not having it in with the console would be a mistake in my opinion.

Microsoft
Content included an excellent looking Halo 4 preview , Forza Horizon (though it was a small preview with very little info about the game), new Resi Evil, South Park Sword of Truth and a few XBLA games including Twisted Pixel's Lococycle .

Interesting answer to the Wii U controller with Smartglass, where most tablets and phones can be used to control the screen (like a mouse) and show information as you play games and watch films (though not stream the TV to the device. It should be interesting to see how this is used in games.

Nike Fitness looked...like another fitness game.

Dance Central 3 looked like a refined version of the last game with Usher yet again involved in the choreography.

Sony
The Sony Conference had a lot of hype but didn't quite live up to this in my opinion. It did, however, have a few nice games on show including Assassin's Creed III Liberation on PS Vita, with the first female assassin. and Assassin's Creed III sea battles on PS3. Exclusive DLC on this and Farcry 3 was interesting, even if Wonderbook seemed to take up half the conference time.

Quantic Dreams game Beyond looked impressive, though no idea of how it will play. It looked completely different in tone to Heavy Rain and more action orientated.

Vita also had PS1 classics (finally) coming, Black Ops Declassified and the Playstation All Stars with cross play between PS3 and Vita. Also EA title Need For Speed Most Wanted .

Back to PS3, there was God of War Ascension gameplay, a look at using the Vita as a controller similar to MS's Smart Glass and Wii U's tablet ideas, The Last Of Us gameplay, which looked excellent and very gory.

Others
EA and Ubisoft both held big conferences during Monday, with EA showing off the new Need For Speed from Criterion which looks very nice, a sort of Burnout Paradise meets Most Wanted.

Ubisoft came out the strongest of the Monday conferences with Far Cry 3 (thanks for the mammaries) and Assassin's Creed III looking fantastic. Also the Wii U UZombie game was a complete surprise and Watch Dogs looked very interesting and cyberpunky (a sort of Deus Ex meets Mission Impossible).
Wed 06/06/12 at 23:50
Regular
Although it was dissapointing that The Last Guardian wasn't shown at e3, I enjoyed seeing the demos for Darksiders 2 and Quantum Conundrum. I've pre-ordered Quantum Conundrum on Steam, so I look forward to playing with Time, Gravity and making things fluffy. I wonder if the comparisons between it and Portal are going to help its sales.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.