GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fashions in gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 14:11
Regular
Like everything else in life, gaming is subject to fashion. Everything goes through stages of popularity and hatred, thats just the way life is, as what is popular at one time won't be in the future. Just ask Babylon Zoo. For instance, five years ago the Spice Girls were the most popular band in the world, and everything they touched turned to gold. Now, most people wouldn't touch their solo singles with a barge pole. Gaming is no different.

What do you mean?

Well look at it like this. The latest craze in gaming is cel shading. Its just so chic darling! Videogamers and developers acknowledge it in unison - 2D is the new 3D. Even games like House of the Dead are using it. After Jet Set Radio made it 'cool' every game developer and their dog is copying the trend, even the King of Originality, Shigsy! When the latest Zelda game was released at last year's Spaceworld it drew gasps of disbelief form journalists expecting the latest 3D graphics depicting Link in all his glory, only to see a flat pixie looking creature with no nose. But despite the consumer backlash it was critically acclaimed by those 'in the know', who appreciate the new style. Jumping on the bandwagon more like.

But graphics isn't the only area of gaming subject to fashion. It has seeped into the gaming industry in general. For the close affiliation between the two there is only one developer to blame.

Sony.

Fair play to them, the marketing strategy of PlayStation was genius, pure genius. It introduced gaming to the mass market and dispelled images of gamers being spotty geeks sitting behind a keyboard. It essentially created a new breed of gamers - the casual gamer. Using games like WipEout, whose use of dance music endeared itself to clubbers etc, Sony made it fashionable to be a gamer. Arguably, this establishment of a user base is what guaranteed stellar launch figures for the PS2, because the games weren't actually that good. In a remarkable turnaround in the games industry Sony have seemingly built an unassailable lead whilst Nintendo struggle to keep up, because of their kiddie image. Proper gamers know that myth about Nintendo isn't true, but Nintendo can't do anything about it because consumers won't respond. See what I mean about fashion? Ten years ago people would have been falling over themselves to get a new Nintendo console. Now they are being beaten in sales by a company that has minimal experience in the console market.

What about the other fashions? Whilst others die, never to be seen again (virtual boy anyone?), others remain and end up being copied, such as the rumble pad. Take other games. Point-and-click games used to be all the rage with developer clamouring to make them but nowadays they would rather just release an FPS, perhaps the most flooded genre in games today.

So what can be concluded from my mindless ranting? Well, its obvious that trends and fashions have dictated most sections of the gaming industry, and with constant technological advances what looked good three years ago will look decidedly old hat now, and the same for now three years down the line. Its impossible to stop it happening, we just have to grin and bear it, because its inevitable. Just don't ask me about the new look Zelda.

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear you thoughts
Mon 18/02/02 at 18:23
Regular
Thats pathetic. Anyway, keeping with the original topic, Pokemon style games like Dragon Warriors and Digimon are also out of fashion
Mon 18/02/02 at 18:10
Regular
It has alot to do with it, especially if its Pikachu
Mon 18/02/02 at 14:20
Regular
whats that got to do with anything?
Mon 18/02/02 at 10:33
Regular
"Acid Casual"
I regularly dress up in an assortment of Pokemon outfits.

Only on weekends though.
Mon 18/02/02 at 07:17
Regular
See, no-one can do it
Sun 17/02/02 at 19:30
Regular
Who here buys fifa anyway? If anyone does, give me three good reasons why (real player names not allowed)
Sun 17/02/02 at 18:25
Regular
Which just consolidates my argument about casual, ill-informed gamers buying second rate games because 'all my mates 'ave it'
Sun 17/02/02 at 18:11
Regular
Fifa's rubbish compared to ISS but everyone buy it just because it has proper names and stuff
Sun 17/02/02 at 17:54
Regular
Fashion can be measured by how game developers react. At the mooment celshading is fashionable because everyone is doing it. Also, FPS seem to have overtaken adventure games because developers make them more. Plus for some reason Fifa is very popular so EA release six month updates
Sun 17/02/02 at 17:34
i agree, MGS2 is a lot more fashionable than the latest golf simulator, all your friends will get MGS2 rather than a boring golf game,people also go through gaming trends, one minute people like FPS' then they are to action and adventure 3rd peron style, so yes i agree with what you are saying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.