GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Jubilee - Time to celebrate or waste of money?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/06/12 at 23:50
"possibly impossible"
With towns and cities getting ready for the Jubilee with street parties and festivities, there are many who are excited by the event.

But there are also those who wonder why, in a time of financial instability, we are spending so much, especially on such an outdated idea as the monarchy.

On the plus side, it does bring people closer together and earn companies selling merchandise like bunting and party goods more money. Besides, it's fun, isnt it and we get an extra day off.

However, people are spending more money on food, costumes and travelling, plus companies have to pay more to get workers for Tuesday.

So, what is it? Do you welcome the Jubilee or not? And is it really all about the Queen or just an excuse for a party?
Fri 01/06/12 at 23:50
"possibly impossible"
With towns and cities getting ready for the Jubilee with street parties and festivities, there are many who are excited by the event.

But there are also those who wonder why, in a time of financial instability, we are spending so much, especially on such an outdated idea as the monarchy.

On the plus side, it does bring people closer together and earn companies selling merchandise like bunting and party goods more money. Besides, it's fun, isnt it and we get an extra day off.

However, people are spending more money on food, costumes and travelling, plus companies have to pay more to get workers for Tuesday.

So, what is it? Do you welcome the Jubilee or not? And is it really all about the Queen or just an excuse for a party?
Sat 02/06/12 at 13:18
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
The idea of Monarchy may well be outdated, but as someone rightly pointed out on another thread, our monarchy and traditions are often what attracts overseas visitors, and for that reason alone it's worth holding onto.

With regard to street parties however, I have my doubts. I have just last night been witness to what seems to class as a street party nowadays, and it wasn't pretty. It seemed to be an excuse for someone to knock on everyone's door, ask for a tenner to go towards a "celebration", only for the money to fund a handful of the larger and louder families on our estate in order for them to have a complete drinking binge and make a lot of noise until two in the morning.

Not exactly my idea of fun, and as such I didn't contribute as I already knew where that was heading.

Gone are the days of REAL street parties; They used to happen during the day so that the kids could join in. Everyone would contribute a plate of sandwiches or make some cakes, buy some fizzy drinks and sweets, club together for a barbeque, and it would be an all day event full of community spirit and fun.

I remember those as a kid, I remember the fun and excitement of the build up to it as well as participating, I remember my mum making buns and my school organising events in the area. I remember masses of bunting, pictures of the Queen and a proper sense of community.

I don't remember people asking for money.
I don't remember my neighbours getting rowdy.
I don't remember not being able to sleep until two in the morning...
Sat 02/06/12 at 14:34
"possibly impossible"
Our school organised an event yesterday, getting everyone to bring in food and laying tables out like a street party in the playground.

The council and local businesses have organised a children's 'Mad Hatter' tea party in the high street for Monday and as the Jubilee falls during the Exmouth Festival there are loads of live bands, things to do and see all going on.

I've been involved in both the school Jubilee celebrations and the festival and feel all the better for it, but I wouldn't like the idea of being asked for money without having a hand in organising an event.
Sat 02/06/12 at 14:47
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
Our school organised an event yesterday, getting everyone to bring in food and laying tables out like a street party in the playground.

The council and local businesses have organised a children's 'Mad Hatter' tea party in the high street for Monday and as the Jubilee falls during the Exmouth Festival there are loads of live bands, things to do and see all going on.

I've been involved in both the school Jubilee celebrations and the festival and feel all the better for it, but I wouldn't like the idea of being asked for money without having a hand in organising an event.

you wouldn't have liked the very loud conversation between a dozen chavs and their girlies that was going on outside my house last night either.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.