GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 5 Best Slides on TV"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/12 at 21:21
Regular
"How Ironic"
Bit of a random article, but after watching Honey, I Shrunk the Kids recently and seeing the mudslide that one of the boys goes down, it got me thinking about slides featured in other films, TV shows and even adverts. I remember quite a few, so I've layed them out below in an order that reflects how good they were i.e. which ones I'd want to try out in real life!

So here we go. My top 5 slides on TV.

At Number 5...
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Video
If the title doesn't give it away, the film is about a group of kids who get shrunk by a wacky dad's invention. Cue an innocent speccy kid, a macho 10-year old, a mature 10-year old and the sensitive chick all whom are shrunken thanks to a shrink ray. The scene with the slide itself is when the kids gets lost in the grass. The girl falls into a mud puddle and begins to sink. One of the guys dives to her rescue, not before sliding down a big hill, which just so happens to have a mudslide cut into it. This is at the bottom of my list because for starters, the film sucks and secondly, the slide is full of mud. Some would look at that as a bonus.

At Number 4...
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Video
After the famous duel between Darth Vader and Luke, Luke proceeds to throw himself into the abyss that is the middle of Cloud City. He is then sucked into a hole, and for a brief moment begins sliding around down a metallic pipe. The downside is that the slide drops him out of Cloud City. Lucky for Luke, there's a pipe which he can grab onto with his one hand.

At Number 3...
Oakie Doke
Video
Oakie Doke is a show I used to watch as a child. The plot avoids me, but I remember in the opening sequence Oakie Doke sliding down his spiral treehouse slide. I always wanted a treehouse, and this would be my ideal way to get to the ground.

At Number 2...
Barclays Waterslide
Video
I didn't really want to put an advert on this list, but it is a pretty cool waterslide. The fact that it's Barclays aside, you can't beat a massive suburban waterslide.

And At Number 1...
The Goonies
Video
We have a winner. The Goonies features the ultimate slide. After beating the skull organ trap, The Goonies find themselves with the enviable task of throwing themselves down a massive water slide which drops into a huge pool. It's curvy, it's fast and it's 80's. How much better can a slide get?

Someone must have some others to add surely?

Honourable mentions:
Cool Runnings - chasfh
Johnny Briggs - pb
Fri 08/06/12 at 19:20
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
pb wrote:
I can't believe you just dissed Johnny Briggs! The whole of the North of England will be decending on you soon.[/i]

Except me 'cos I've no idea what you are talking about...

Romancing the stone
McClintock (yes, I know you're too young and probably never heard of it!)
Sat 02/06/12 at 21:58
Regular
"How Ironic"
I do tend to eat all the biscuits. At least it's a realistic programme.
Fri 01/06/12 at 22:13
"possibly impossible"
Sonic Chris wrote:
I'd have to disagree there pb. Looks like a common park slide to me, and plus endangering the dog's life like that, got to deduct marks ;-) Plus some dodgy music as well.

chas, you have a good point about Cool Runnings. Technically a slide of sorts, and it's an awesome film. Probably should get an honourable mention.

Pete, you're obsessed with MotoGP, but I know you don't need telling that. Very nice drift all the same ;-D

I can't believe you just dissed Johnny Briggs! The whole of the North of England will be decending on you soon.
Fri 01/06/12 at 10:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks for that Alfonse :-)

I like the alternative ending to Star Wars there, although I fear the sith would have won had Luke fell from Cloud City ;-)
Fri 01/06/12 at 10:15
Regular
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaIrV0_sfMc

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjPUVzX-GDU

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqaxWjIgOg

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WlRcXIO5ik

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6rDcSLomc

The Goonies scene quality is poor. Put them in the original post?
Fri 01/06/12 at 09:24
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'd have to disagree there pb. Looks like a common park slide to me, and plus endangering the dog's life like that, got to deduct marks ;-) Plus some dodgy music as well.

chas, you have a good point about Cool Runnings. Technically a slide of sorts, and it's an awesome film. Probably should get an honourable mention.

Pete, you're obsessed with MotoGP, but I know you don't need telling that. Very nice drift all the same ;-D
Thu 31/05/12 at 13:02
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
"Cool Runnings" anybody???

A whole film about sliding surely deserves a mention!
Thu 31/05/12 at 12:44
"possibly impossible"
Surely the start of Johnny Briggs has the best literal slide?
Thu 31/05/12 at 09:18
Regular
"I like turtles"
Can I vote for this?
Wed 30/05/12 at 23:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
Think everyone who's seen that film wanted to go on that slide. Plus it drops you right next to a boat full of treasure!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.