GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Ghost Recon Future Soldier"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ghost Recon: Future Soldier'.
Mon 28/05/12 at 11:02
"possibly impossible"
I liked Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, it was slower paced than all the shooters out there and gave me something that little bit different to the CODs of this world.

With that in mind, I felt a bit let down when I first played Future Soldier, the new Ghost Recon game from Ubisoft. It was as if they'd been taking notes from Modern Warfare.

The initial training level begins with some FMV that introduces the new Ghosts, a bunch of Bad Company types who fit each and every shooter stereotype going. What's more, the game gives you a linear route through a town, with Gears of War style cover points. Yes, GRAW did cover long before this, but the system here borrows more from the Gears series than it does from its own past.

But don't panic just yet. The smoke soon clears and the very next level shows signs of improvement as shooting gives way to cover and getting past guard patrols unseen in order to get to a witness.

It's here that you first come across the tech that will help you in later missions. Camo suits give you a certain level of invisibility when crouched or moving slowly. Stand up, move too fast or get too near the enemies line of sight and you'll be seen. This perfectly suits the slower paced strategy of old school Ghost Recon. The other big piece of tech is the drone. Enhanced from previous games, this provides a spy's view of your next objective and can even disable weapons or enemies once refitted.

Although you don't control the team in the same way as previous games, the AI isn't bad at following your lead and doesn't get in the way. You can, however, order sync shots, lining up shots for the AI (or co-op) team-mates who will all shoot in unison once you pull your trigger. This enables you to take out up to 4 enemies at the same time without alerting others to your presence.

As the missions roll forward, it's clear that Ubisoft have mixed and matched these styles. A mission through a heavily tented area provides a mix of shooting and stealth, but gives way to an airport scene which requires much more thought and careful planning. Then all hell breaks loose again and it's back to the firefight.

Not that GRFS ever completely goes over-the-top in a Modern Warfare style. The tech and strategy elements are always present, even if some levels don't lean on them as much, and it certainly still feels different enough that you're in no doubt this isn't a straight shooter. Long term fans may balk at the changes, but it's a hard truth that FMV, explosions and action sell games these days.

Single Player may not be what GRAW fans were hoping for, but I'd still recommend it as an excellent alternative to an all-out shooter. It still has the brains and the stealth to set the game apart from other big franchises, even if the characters are brash and a tad annoying.

Multi-player possibly shows up the difference more, with modes deliberately fitted around the style of gameplay. Guerrilla may be a survival game in the same vein as Gears of War's Horde, but it does more than just throwing a wave of enemies your way, it tasks you with infultrating areas and holding on to them too, while using the same tech as the single player.

Decoy gives you 3 objectives, with only one of them being 'real'. Only this one objective, once complete, will lead to success. It's an interesting way of presenting a typical mission based multiplayer and requires a level of thought that may be unusual to standard shooter fans.

Saboteur mode screams teamwork as your team works to pick up a bomb, move it to the enemy's base and detonate it, while the other team tries to do the same. This really does require communication between the team-members. It's Ghost Recon's version of Capture the Flag and it's a perfect fit to the style of the game.

All multiplayer games share 10 maps taken from the single-player. These offer some nice variations in scenery and gameplay, with some offering long stretches of wasteland and others being building-based with many sniper points.

In Ghost Recon Future Soldier, Ubisoft may have watered their game down somewhat,. but it does actually benefit from the mix of styles at times. The game is still fundamentally different enough to appease those looking for a more thoughtful shooter, but it also provides plenty of action to encourage newcomers to the series without a huge learning curve. With a good set of multiplayer modes and a nice solid Single Player campaign, Future Soldier still hits the mark.

8/10
Wed 11/07/12 at 14:18
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
Wow nice review enjoyed reading it.I am planning to get this game soon seemed like a good choice and by your review it sounds great.
Mon 28/05/12 at 11:02
"possibly impossible"
I liked Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, it was slower paced than all the shooters out there and gave me something that little bit different to the CODs of this world.

With that in mind, I felt a bit let down when I first played Future Soldier, the new Ghost Recon game from Ubisoft. It was as if they'd been taking notes from Modern Warfare.

The initial training level begins with some FMV that introduces the new Ghosts, a bunch of Bad Company types who fit each and every shooter stereotype going. What's more, the game gives you a linear route through a town, with Gears of War style cover points. Yes, GRAW did cover long before this, but the system here borrows more from the Gears series than it does from its own past.

But don't panic just yet. The smoke soon clears and the very next level shows signs of improvement as shooting gives way to cover and getting past guard patrols unseen in order to get to a witness.

It's here that you first come across the tech that will help you in later missions. Camo suits give you a certain level of invisibility when crouched or moving slowly. Stand up, move too fast or get too near the enemies line of sight and you'll be seen. This perfectly suits the slower paced strategy of old school Ghost Recon. The other big piece of tech is the drone. Enhanced from previous games, this provides a spy's view of your next objective and can even disable weapons or enemies once refitted.

Although you don't control the team in the same way as previous games, the AI isn't bad at following your lead and doesn't get in the way. You can, however, order sync shots, lining up shots for the AI (or co-op) team-mates who will all shoot in unison once you pull your trigger. This enables you to take out up to 4 enemies at the same time without alerting others to your presence.

As the missions roll forward, it's clear that Ubisoft have mixed and matched these styles. A mission through a heavily tented area provides a mix of shooting and stealth, but gives way to an airport scene which requires much more thought and careful planning. Then all hell breaks loose again and it's back to the firefight.

Not that GRFS ever completely goes over-the-top in a Modern Warfare style. The tech and strategy elements are always present, even if some levels don't lean on them as much, and it certainly still feels different enough that you're in no doubt this isn't a straight shooter. Long term fans may balk at the changes, but it's a hard truth that FMV, explosions and action sell games these days.

Single Player may not be what GRAW fans were hoping for, but I'd still recommend it as an excellent alternative to an all-out shooter. It still has the brains and the stealth to set the game apart from other big franchises, even if the characters are brash and a tad annoying.

Multi-player possibly shows up the difference more, with modes deliberately fitted around the style of gameplay. Guerrilla may be a survival game in the same vein as Gears of War's Horde, but it does more than just throwing a wave of enemies your way, it tasks you with infultrating areas and holding on to them too, while using the same tech as the single player.

Decoy gives you 3 objectives, with only one of them being 'real'. Only this one objective, once complete, will lead to success. It's an interesting way of presenting a typical mission based multiplayer and requires a level of thought that may be unusual to standard shooter fans.

Saboteur mode screams teamwork as your team works to pick up a bomb, move it to the enemy's base and detonate it, while the other team tries to do the same. This really does require communication between the team-members. It's Ghost Recon's version of Capture the Flag and it's a perfect fit to the style of the game.

All multiplayer games share 10 maps taken from the single-player. These offer some nice variations in scenery and gameplay, with some offering long stretches of wasteland and others being building-based with many sniper points.

In Ghost Recon Future Soldier, Ubisoft may have watered their game down somewhat,. but it does actually benefit from the mix of styles at times. The game is still fundamentally different enough to appease those looking for a more thoughtful shooter, but it also provides plenty of action to encourage newcomers to the series without a huge learning curve. With a good set of multiplayer modes and a nice solid Single Player campaign, Future Soldier still hits the mark.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.