GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mapping two ext hard disks as one"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/05/12 at 15:26
Regular
Hi,

I have two external hard disks, and would like to map them as one under Windows 7 Home Prem.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Neil
Sun 20/05/12 at 12:25
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
do you just want a way to access the disks from one alias? In that case the Windows 7 library feature may be what you need:

windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/products/features/libraries?SignedIn=1

there is a way to mount one drive inside inside another using disk management:

[LINK=http://]technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960726.aspx[LINK]

key point on that page

To create multiple mount points for a volume For example, a volume is mounted as C:Games and C:Projects. Be aware that nothing prevents cycles in the namespace. If you mount a volume as D and also as D:Docs, because D is mounted underneath itself, it creates a cycle in the namespace. Applications that do enumeration get into an endless loop on this volume
Sat 19/05/12 at 20:04
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
KISS ;¬)
Sat 19/05/12 at 17:20
Regular
Thanks for that.

I have two cloud backup solutions, so I should be covered in the event of failure.

I'll look at the disk management options available.

N.
Sat 19/05/12 at 16:54
"Are you sure?"
That's not something I've done before.
Can you say why you want to do this?

I'm no expert, but is this a good idea? As things wouldn't be in a RAID type setup won't things be hard to manage if/when one fails?

If you RUN diskmgmt.msc there may be some options for you there.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 19/05/12 at 15:26
Regular
Hi,

I have two external hard disks, and would like to map them as one under Windows 7 Home Prem.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.