GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Foreigners"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/02/02 at 17:33
Regular
We've heard it all before about how their are 'too many foreigners' in todays game, meaning that young talent isn't coming through like it used to, and we're missing out on more Beckham's and Owen's, meaning we also decrease England's chances of achieving something big. People have previously spoken of a possible limit of foregners being given to each club, but nothing else seems to have happened. I think this is a good idea!

If you know me in this forum, you'll probably have realised I have 'a thing' against certain foreigners.
One reason is because of teams like Arsenal and Chelsea, who flood their team with foreigners. And they then go on and win something with all their fans thinking they've done something for the good of the Brittish game! Well, they have in a way, but exactly how many Brittish players played in that match, let alone appeared on the bench???

I also dis-like the idea of foreign managers taking charge of a country that's not their own. I feel that it's just not right! Sure, maybe a foreign coach brings in a newer, foreign influence and style, but I just don't think it's right to have one nationality being told what to do by someone of another!!
My prime examples of this are the Swede Sven-Goran Eriksson being in-charge at England (even if he has done quite a good job) and Berti Vogts, who's recently agreed to take-charge at Scotland. I think that the likes of Glenn Hoddle and Craig Brown should be brought back, mainly because of their nationallities!
And with a German incharge of Scotland, the rivalry will be even greater!!

I don't neccesarily mind seeing foreigners incharge of club sides, as the squads are full of imports anyway! And having a mix does seem to help clubs achive more in Europe, but too many can lead to problems!

Look at Chelsea. They must have nearly 10 different nationallities at least in their first-team alone, and what have they achieved from it?? They were playing much better and winning much more under Vialli, partly due to a good mix with Brittish blood. But now under Ranieir, it's all just one big mess where no-one can understand anyone else! And since Ranieri's appointment and all this mess occuring, Chelsea have failed to even look like a team that can challenge for honours, with in-consistent form!

Can this all really be blamed on one manager, who cannnot speak English himself??? Or are there just too many foreigners at Stamford Bridge??

Teams like Man United and Liverpool have done well with managers who know how to balance a side with a good mix of foreign and home-grown talent. Look at the Brits in their average starting XI. Can you name any one of those players who has NOT represented his country???

So in my view, the number of foreigners invading this country is getting too high, and the FA, with a Scotsman themself, need to start doing something about it!
I'm not saying 'immediatly sack Sven and bring back Hoddle' now, as that WOULD be rediculous! But like was has been suggested before, they should bring in more rules and regulations to limit each club to a certain number of foreingers. The EU Work-Permit rule just isn't enough, as managers can still import from the likes Italy and Spain.

C'mon the FA, you know it's the right thing to do.
If you don't act soon we could see many more young Brittish prospects forced out through too many fancy players with flair!
Mon 18/02/02 at 18:18
Regular
Imagine if Duncan Edwards had been allowed to reach his prime, I think he would have gone onto be the best player in British history, and he'd be worth about £40m in todays market
Mon 18/02/02 at 17:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I still think that teams like United would be just as succesfull without ANY foreigners at all!!
Look at the Busby Babes, were any of them foreigners??
Imagine what they couls've achieved if it weren't for that accident!
Mon 18/02/02 at 11:40
"High polygon count"
slave2games wrote:
> Doesn't anyone see the positive influence that foreigners have?

Yup... as mentioned in my first post in this thread. :-)
Sun 17/02/02 at 23:04
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Doesn't anyone see the positive influence that foreigners have? I agree with Solskjær_24 by the way, there ARE too many foreigners in the English game, but it was them, who about 6 years ago, brought style and flair into the Premiership. Sure, they bring with hem the play-acting, ut hey have a positive influence on the English youngsters
Sun 17/02/02 at 22:42
Regular
British basketball has been through a similar kind of thing. A few (roughly 6 or 7) years ago, 2 foreign players were allowed in each squad, and teams had to have 2 players aged below 21 on their rosters. It supported development of british players, but severely restricted the quality of the game.
First the number of foreign players was increased to 5 (i think it's been changed to 5 non-eu players now too), and a couple of years ago the under 21 rule was also dropped.

It has done a lot for the quality of the game, and increased the support for national league teams, but the 5 foreign players will typically play most of the game, and young players in squads are increasingly rare, so there is really a much lesser opportunity for british players to make a squad, let alone play, in the british game.
Despite this, the improvement in young talent can already be noticed, inspired by the better role models. How much of an effect these future players will have on the professional game remains to be seen.

However, for basketball, though not really applicable to football, there is at least the consolation that most british players in the old days would be paid virtually nothing, if at all. They can earn those wages now playing on lower division teams, while those players that do make top division competition can at least hope to make a little more.
Sun 17/02/02 at 17:11
Regular
As raised before in this thread, Price is the main point.

Look at the bargains Fergie has found.

Solskjaer for about a Million? A player that scored the winning goal in the champions league final, and also has saved us from the bench on many a occasion.

Schmeichel. Wasnt more than half a million was he? As said by Gullit once I think. "This player will save you 12 points a season." I think its fair to say Schmeichel was the only thing that kept us in the champions league final, and he was such an important figure in all our success.

Then there is Cantona. Okay, he wasnt bought from abroad, but he was still a bargain. Again, only around the 1 Million mark. Cantona's skill and influence won games on his own. He was probably the main reason for us winning our first league title for over 20 years. He also helped Giggs, Beckham, the Neville's and co. all become the players they are today. They have all said themselves how much they have learnt from the guy.

We need foreigners in the game. We are just losing out becasue none of the English players are playing abroad.
Sun 17/02/02 at 16:50
"High polygon count"
The GingerLord wrote:
> Therefore, the European clubs don't bother
> with our players, why buy an average English player for £5-6m, when you
> can get an average Italian for £1-2m.

A very good point - it's similar to any goods, in a way (cars, electronics etc.) - why buy British, when you can get far better quality from abroad for less money?

I would dearly love to buy British in all areas, but at the same time I'm not stupid; I don't have a money tree growing in the garden, and therefore my funds aren't limitless - so I will get the best deal I can. I'm sure football managers feel the same.

Also, the FA tried imposing a limit on foreign players a few years ago, but it just didn't work. I think you'd also find there would be trouble with EU regulations if they tried it again. Freedom to move around and work in Europe is something they're keen on promoting, and I'm sure there would be some kind of outcry if it happened again.

I can't say I disagree with the sentiment of limiting the number of foreigners - it would certainly benefit top teams by not losing so many players when international friendlies and competitions come around! But I don't think it can be worked officially without severely harming the standard of English football again.

I think that leaving it to the discretion of clubs is the best policy for now - and most of them seem to be fairly sensible about it. It's only recently that Arsenal have been fielding a team of more foreigners than English, and that's mostly been down to injury - usually 6 of our starting 11 would be English (Seaman, Dixon, Campbell or Keown, Adams, Cole and Parlour).

Chelsea, while they haven't been performing well as a team lately, actually have a very good squad that most Premiership clubs would be envious of.

At the end of the day, though, it's the *team* that you support, and which you want to win. After all, United wouldn't have had the success they've had without foreign players, and can you *honestly* say that - had United won the treble with a team of 11 foreigners - you'd have been disappointed, or it would have meant any less to you?
Sun 17/02/02 at 12:24
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yeah, I forgot about McManaman, but can you blame me???
He hasn't exactly been first-choice at the Bernebau has he, like i've said befoe in this forum. And that's all due to Real buying Zidane, Figo and co., keeping him out of the side.

This also shows that clubs prefer to buy foreigners now. But Real also have a big money problem aswell as a growing foreigner one.
Sun 17/02/02 at 11:38
Regular
"I love Dave music"
McManaman anyone?

The thing is, for some reason the prices of English players is far higher than on the continent. Therefore, the European clubs don't bother with our players, why buy an average English player for £5-6m, when you can get an average Italian for £1-2m.

All the top clubs in Europe would fall over themselves if Beckham, Scholes, Owen, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Giggs, etc. came on the market, but none of their clubs are ever going to sell them. But apart from these few, none of the other British players are worth buying.
Sun 17/02/02 at 11:14
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I agree that each team needs a few foreigners, mainly in their attack, to help the Brittish players improve, and I meant to add something about that in my first post.
But would you really wanna see every Premiership team full of foreigners?? Like I said, it hasn't worked for Chelsea, and doesn't always work for Arsenal!
Maybe more English players should play or be loaned out abroad?? That could be a way of improving themselves??
But if they went to Italy they'd be with a new club each season!! Look at Crespo, Conceicao, and several others.

Robbie Keane's the only Brittish player who I can name that has recently played abroad, even though he barely played for Inter! And Paul Ince is another. Can't think of anyone else!

But I still feel we need a limit on the foreign impors, before there becomes too many! One reason why we don't see our players going abroad is cuz they like the Premiership and don't wanna leave United and Liverpool.
I also meant to add that in my post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.