GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is pain?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/02/02 at 14:59
Regular
This is my first attempt at ever writing anything remotely deep and meaningful, so forgive me if I go off on one here.

Most of your actions happen because of your brain. The brain dictates what your body does - as you read this, you are doing so because your brain is telling your eyes to scan each word. The brain then interprets all these lines and squiggles, and processes them.

'I' is the word we use to refer to ourselves. When you kick a football, you say ‘I kicked a football’. In reality, you didn’t kick the football, a mass of skin, bone, and flesh that is connected to your nervous system and thus your brain, kicked it, under command from your brain.

But say you kicked a wall or something, and it caused pain. Why would you have an unpleasant feeling, just because something connected to your nervous system slammed into something else at speed? Why could this not be interpreted by your brain as a pleasant feeling, instead of a ‘bad’ one?

What I’m trying to say in a long, drawn out way, is the question - why is pain bad?

Surely it would be better for the brain to consider everything as pleasant? That way you would never be unhappy, you would never be in pain, because pain wouldn’t exist.

You could say that our brains have evolved to associate pain with weakness, and thus death. I reckon this would be the answer that most people, having thought about it for a while, would come up with. It’s the same reason we consider that some smells are ‘bad’ – they’re associated with death. So, basically, the brain wards the body off going and running into walls by giving the body a ‘bad’ feeling when it does something self-destructive.

I wouldn’t say that, though. I, being a fairly peculiar (One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest) chap, think that the reason we still feel pain in this day and age where the only threat to our species dominance is ourselves is because we have not yet evolved far enough to consider pain as something that does not indicate danger.

Perhaps that’s why you can’t feel pain when you’ve got cannabis in your system. Maybe it dulls the survival instinct in the brain, and so pain is not registered as something bad. Speaking of drugs, maybe the human race will eventually become immune to alcohol, just because the instinct to stay alert as possible will have been used so much through the drunken generations that it will become very powerful.

If I don’t make sense to you… go and start a thread about the notable elections. We could really do with another one dontcha think?
Sat 16/02/02 at 14:59
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
This is my first attempt at ever writing anything remotely deep and meaningful, so forgive me if I go off on one here.

Most of your actions happen because of your brain. The brain dictates what your body does - as you read this, you are doing so because your brain is telling your eyes to scan each word. The brain then interprets all these lines and squiggles, and processes them.

'I' is the word we use to refer to ourselves. When you kick a football, you say ‘I kicked a football’. In reality, you didn’t kick the football, a mass of skin, bone, and flesh that is connected to your nervous system and thus your brain, kicked it, under command from your brain.

But say you kicked a wall or something, and it caused pain. Why would you have an unpleasant feeling, just because something connected to your nervous system slammed into something else at speed? Why could this not be interpreted by your brain as a pleasant feeling, instead of a ‘bad’ one?

What I’m trying to say in a long, drawn out way, is the question - why is pain bad?

Surely it would be better for the brain to consider everything as pleasant? That way you would never be unhappy, you would never be in pain, because pain wouldn’t exist.

You could say that our brains have evolved to associate pain with weakness, and thus death. I reckon this would be the answer that most people, having thought about it for a while, would come up with. It’s the same reason we consider that some smells are ‘bad’ – they’re associated with death. So, basically, the brain wards the body off going and running into walls by giving the body a ‘bad’ feeling when it does something self-destructive.

I wouldn’t say that, though. I, being a fairly peculiar (One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest) chap, think that the reason we still feel pain in this day and age where the only threat to our species dominance is ourselves is because we have not yet evolved far enough to consider pain as something that does not indicate danger.

Perhaps that’s why you can’t feel pain when you’ve got cannabis in your system. Maybe it dulls the survival instinct in the brain, and so pain is not registered as something bad. Speaking of drugs, maybe the human race will eventually become immune to alcohol, just because the instinct to stay alert as possible will have been used so much through the drunken generations that it will become very powerful.

If I don’t make sense to you… go and start a thread about the notable elections. We could really do with another one dontcha think?
Sat 16/02/02 at 15:10
Regular
That was an interesting (and slightly peculiar) ramble.
But I don't really know what to say other than: the only people who have turned the giving and receiving of pain into a pleasurable process are sado masochists. Not that I'd know anything whatsoever about this lifestyle! I don't even know how to spell it.
Sat 16/02/02 at 16:47
The reason for pain is that we dont injure ourselves too much. If you kicked the wall and didnt feel it then you'd carry on doing it and eventually damage ur foot beyond repair.

Some people have diasabilities that prevent them from feeling pain; sometimes a mother finds her child playing with its front two teeth.

Without it you wouldnt know if particular actions/ chemicals/ workshop tools etc.. were bad for you.
Sat 16/02/02 at 17:06
Regular
bread in french isn't it
Sat 16/02/02 at 18:05
Regular
"That's right!"
Yeah exactly, though I'm sure we'd all love to be one of those people who doesn't feel pain, if EVERYONE was like that, we'd end up like leppers

Anyway, some people can completely block out pain, it's all in the mind
Sat 16/02/02 at 18:53
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> This is my first attempt at ever writing anything remotely deep and meaningful,
> so forgive me if I go off on one here.

Most of your actions happen because of
> your brain. The brain dictates what your body does - as you read this, you are
> doing so because your brain is telling your eyes to scan each word. The brain
> then interprets all these lines and squiggles, and processes them.

'I' is the
> word we use to refer to ourselves. When you kick a football, you say ‘I kicked a
> football’. In reality, you didn’t kick the football, a mass of skin, bone, and
> flesh that is connected to your nervous system and thus your brain, kicked it,
> under command from your brain.

But say you kicked a wall or something, and
> it caused pain. Why would you have an unpleasant feeling, just because something
> connected to your nervous system slammed into something else at speed? Why could
> this not be interpreted by your brain as a pleasant feeling, instead of a ‘bad’
> one?

What I’m trying to say in a long, drawn out way, is the question - why
> is pain bad?

Surely it would be better for the brain to consider everything
> as pleasant? That way you would never be unhappy, you would never be in pain,
> because pain wouldn’t exist.

You could say that our brains have evolved to
> associate pain with weakness, and thus death. I reckon this would be the answer
> that most people, having thought about it for a while, would come up with. It’s
> the same reason we consider that some smells are ‘bad’ – they’re associated with
> death. So, basically, the brain wards the body off going and running into walls
> by giving the body a ‘bad’ feeling when it does something self-destructive.

I
> wouldn’t say that, though. I, being a fairly peculiar (One Flew Over The Cuckoos
> Nest) chap, think that the reason we still feel pain in this day and age where
> the only threat to our species dominance is ourselves is because we have not yet
> evolved far enough to consider pain as something that does not indicate
> danger.

Perhaps that’s why you can’t feel pain when you’ve got cannabis in
> your system. Maybe it dulls the survival instinct in the brain, and so pain is
> not registered as something bad. Speaking of drugs, maybe the human race will
> eventually become immune to alcohol, just because the instinct to stay alert as
> possible will have been used so much through the drunken generations that it
> will become very powerful.

If I don’t make sense to you… go and start a
> thread about the notable elections. We could really do with another one dontcha
> think?Pain is reading this load of CACK
Sat 16/02/02 at 20:17
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
And people wonder while newbis have such a bad reputation.

Shars is a pheasent.
Sat 16/02/02 at 20:24
Im ashamed to be associated with them. :(
Sun 17/02/02 at 20:06
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> And people wonder while newbis have such a bad reputation.

Shars is a
> pheasent.
>> Try Shars is a CHICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sun 17/02/02 at 20:07
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> And people wonder while newbis have such a bad reputation.

Shars is a
> pheasent.

>> Try " Shars is a chick "

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.