GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS2 - A new Gaming Era!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/02/02 at 14:28
Regular
MGS2 has set what we must call the future of gaming, the game contains 'State Of The Art' gameplay with a blend of next generation graphics and out of this world sounds.

When the game is released game designers will find it hard to keep up with the demands from us as the game will be such a blockbuster title that will make us as gamers want more out of gaming in the future. At the moment i only own a demo of the game, but the demo alone has blone me away with the stylish and highly entertaining introduction that no game to date has used.

When we think of a video-game we think of Mario or collecting stars to save the princess from the tower, but in fact its not, it is a world of sinister organisations that we as gamers get to fight and bring to justice! MGS2 has maxed the way we can interact with video-games, we can now shoot fire extinguishers and magazines to startle our enemies or we can hide in lockers whilst our hands rumble due to the heart beat setting off the rumble functions on the latest in gaming technology.

If we take a look back at how far gaming has come in the last 10 years we won't be able to beleive that we once controlled a 2-D plain looking character whilst collecting all the stars on the screen. Gaming has changed but not any one game has changed gaming up until now.

MGS2 will be the first ground-breaking title that will change the way we game in the future, we will want more and more out of gaming and our demands will have to be met or companies will not sell their merchandise. GTA3 was the first real game to bring the effects of the weather and natural day to night changes, but MGS2 has taken it a step further again, if we look up rain drops fall on our cameras or if we walk on dry surfaces our foot prints are left so that we can be trased by our enemies. Games in the future will have to match the high level of design that has gone into such games as, GTA3, MGS2, DEVIL MAY CRY, MAX PAYNE, PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER.

Designers are running out of ideas and titles are being rushed instead of time being spent on hem to make the game a worthy purchase and a good adddition to our ever growing gaming collections. Cut-Scenes have never looked so good, long gone are the little 2 minute introductions and the little cut-scenes, we now have movie sequences that help to build the story.

We as gamers can control the way that we will game in the future, people know the styles of games we like and the way we like to game and the designers are finally starting to listen to what we demand to be put into a next generation game. After the release of MGS2 the future of gaming will change, it is an exciting move into the future but what might we be doing on games in another 10 years time? It is hard to imagine that we will once game as the lead player and control our actions by the way we move and think, bring on the gaming future.

I am not saying that MGS2 is the only game to change the way that we will game but it will have the most effect.
Tue 01/05/12 at 11:33
Regular
Please feel free to post your own story of how you manage your lupus. What you say may be of great benefit to those who are newly diagnosed and finding that they are struggling to come to terms with their situation.
Tue 19/02/02 at 19:49
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Alik you didnt understand me actually....

When I said it hasnt been getting brillaint reviews, I meant that some magazines said that it isnt as original now, that it still doesnt last that long and gameplay-wise it isnt a huge improvement over mgs1 etc. It may still get all the best scores,but some of the comments have been negative.

I actually do the have the MGS2 demo and I know its a brilliant game and as I said I prefer MOH because it offers more to me in my opinion. Dont need to get all smart with me....
Tue 19/02/02 at 18:34
Regular
Fair point Tarrant.

Perhaps I should have said that MGS 1 would be remembered more than MGS 2, as the first one (on the PSX, I know there were others on the SNES etc) is the one that pushed gaming further.
Tue 19/02/02 at 18:11
I'll take that bet!

Rez is confined to the gaming world, MGS2 will have "in your face" advertising that'll reach the world.... most of the world won't be interested but it'll reach 'em just the same.
Tue 19/02/02 at 18:04
Regular
alik wrote:
> "defining accomplishment in the history of gaming". This is my point and everyone else said no!

I bet you, in 5 years time, more people will remember Rez than remember MGS2.
Tue 19/02/02 at 17:55
"defining accomplishment in the history of gaming". This is my point and everyone else said no!
Tue 19/02/02 at 17:52
Here was the closing statements from the most crtitical of the reviews and Gamepsot usually down rate games that are good!

The game is loaded with little secrets, and the higher difficulty settings, together with the option to completely disable the all-important radar, make Metal Gear Solid 2 much more challenging. The gameplay itself is therefore fairly open-ended, which makes for more replay value than you might expect. It's true that you could finish Metal Gear Solid 2 in a dedicated weekend. But it's also true that you'll undoubtedly want to revisit it multiple times, if not to show it off to others, then just to keep on playing it and discovering new details you hadn't noticed before, both in the game and in the story.

It boils down to this: You need to play Metal Gear Solid 2. All the attention it has received leading up to its release was fully justified. All its popularity after its release will be completely warranted. Metal Gear Solid 2 isn't the perfect game for everyone. It has scenes of graphic violence. Its plot is dense and not always focused or easy to follow. And, it's true, the game could have been longer. Some naysayers will complain that Metal Gear Solid 2 is all style and no substance, under the false assumption that the game's great cinematics mean the gameplay itself was compromised. Others will claim that this and all the other positive reviews of the game are merely the result of fans buying into their own hype or giving in to peer pressure. Such arguments are predictable enough--not everyone likes to go with the popular opinion. Yet for all the many concrete reasons already described, popular opinion will ensure that Metal Gear Solid 2 will be remembered not just as a great sequel, but as a defining accomplishment in the history of gaming. Though that's beside the point--you don't need to play Metal Gear Solid 2 just because everyone else will. You need to play it because it stands a good chance of becoming one of your all-time favorite games.

Rest assured this is one of the best games of the year!

How can people condem this game!
Tue 19/02/02 at 17:23
This is what IGN said in their closing statement!

That's an argument that will go on long after I've passed my judgment, though. The fact of the matter is that Metal Gear Solid 2 is more than just a story, more than just a movie. It's a game, and one of the best ever made. If it isn't the best story ever told, well, the games industry obviously just has a ways to go in that regard. I sincerely wonder, however, after playing something like this, how much head room there is to make a better game experience. I mean, hell, Miyamoto's busy playing with ants in his garden, and Kojima's probably off on a year's vacation after this one.
Not that he doesn't deserve it, and the entire rest of the team besides. That's perhaps the saddest thing about seeing this game come and go, after a year and a half of buildup. Some of the best creators in the business will be going home once it's over, not to be seen for more than a few game shows. Hideo Kojima, my favorite director. Yoji Shinkawa, my favorite game artist. Motosada Mori, my favorite God King Gun Otaku (which I mean, incidentally, in the most respectful manner possible, for I love the guns in this game, from M9 to P90 and all their brothers in between). Everyone else at Konami JPN West. Heck, the next E3, I'll probably miss the chance to lose Kojima's autograph for a third year running.

Oh, well. For the time being, it's worth it for the chance to play this game, and to play it again some more. Play it just once and you're cheating yourself of more than the purchase price (or a rental fee, for you cheap b******s). You're cheating yourself of a great experience, and perhaps the best on PlayStation 2, if it weren't for the fact that we'll probably see another Metal Gear adventure before this generation concludes. We have something to look forward to, then, as well as something to enjoy today.

Presentation
A slick-as-glass interface and unrivalled cinematic presentation, but some of these scenes needed to go, and badly. 9.0
Graphics
Tell me you've found something better-looking on the market and you're a damned liar. A powerful engine mastered by excellent artistry. 9.8
Sound
Great sound design draws effects, voices, and music together into a package that complements both cinematics and gameplay. 9.8
Game Play
Tactical Espionage Action enters a new generation in high style -- sharp control masters all-new moves and weapons in a world governed by even smarter AI. The nonviolent emphasis is a real kick, too. 9.8
Lasting Appeal
Beat the game in 12-15 hours your first time. Play with the toy for hours afterwards. Can you collect all the dog tags? 9.8
OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.7

How can you beat that in a game!
Tue 19/02/02 at 17:19
Regular
96 (NTSC) in PSM2 as well.
Tue 19/02/02 at 17:19
how do you know that you prefer MOHAA on pc if you don't own MGS2 or the demo?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.