GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Trials Evolution (XBLA)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Trials Evolution'.
Wed 25/04/12 at 14:52
"possibly impossible"
“It’s just not POSSIBLE!” I shout at the screen after failing yet again to jump a particularly badly placed barrel in Trials Evolution, or at least words to that effect. But that’s the sort of reaction that comes hand-in-hand with Redlynx’s sequel once you hit a certain point in the game.

Swearing at the screen becomes second nature, but it’s balanced out by the instant restart button which starts the track from the beginning and the little red button that sends you back to the last checkpoint, albeit with a time penalty.

It’s this careful to and fro between flat out fury and that magic ‘one more go’ feeling which made the original Trials so addictive and Trials Evolution takes this one step further.

The Evolution of the title is very apt. This isn’t a brand new experience, it’s basically the same motorbike madness that we all experienced with Trials HD, but it’s been tweaked and twisted to create something better. Tracks are now unshackled from their warehouse surroundings and let loose in various terrains; the countryside, a sewage farm and industrial areas are all waiting to trip you over.

Scenery makes a huge difference, especially when you factor the time of day into account. Dusk challenges, with headlights shining off the next lethal obstacle, are harder to judge and prove a match for many Trials veterans and the vast challenge of hills and rocks create a whole new experience to wood and metal ramps and bars.

Yet it so feels as if Redlynx have created an easier path into the game for newcomers. The first few tracks ease you in to the balancing and stop-start of the accelerator, the red button always on hand to start again should something go wrong. In fact, the game won’t mind you pressing that little button over and over until you get to the end. The only thing standing in your way is your pride and competitive streak.

Leaderboards are the ace up Trials Evolution’s sleeve. They provide constant challenge from friends and strangers as you race to rack up both a better time and less restarts in order to compete. The leaderboards are really just old-style arcade scoreboards in a modern day connected world, but when you’re 2 seconds slower than the guy in front there’s only one thing you can do; try again.

Evolution does give you another option, though. This time it packs simultaneous online racing into the game. Either racing over standard courses from the game or downloadable creations, you’re standing side-by-side with the enemy, all competing at the same time to get to that finish line. In short, it’s racing done proper. Perhaps it seemed like the next logical step to the asynchronous play, where dots show the position of your rivals, but it certainly adds yet another flag for Evolution to wave in its bid to become president of the gaming world.

Sony might have the copyright on Play. Create. Share, but Redlynx know how to create a track editor and they’re fully aware how important this soon becomes to those who’ve either finished the game or want a new challenge. There are so many parts to use and now more scenery to race on than ever before that the options to create are endless. Those simply looking to play the new tracks have a very quick and easy route to download new courses and will be instantly able to play them.

Yet, it all comes back round to the main body of the game and the Swear. Rinse. Repeat. Formula that makes Trials Evolution the fastest selling Xbox Live Arcade game to date and a title much loved by many, including me.

10/10
Wed 25/04/12 at 14:52
"possibly impossible"
“It’s just not POSSIBLE!” I shout at the screen after failing yet again to jump a particularly badly placed barrel in Trials Evolution, or at least words to that effect. But that’s the sort of reaction that comes hand-in-hand with Redlynx’s sequel once you hit a certain point in the game.

Swearing at the screen becomes second nature, but it’s balanced out by the instant restart button which starts the track from the beginning and the little red button that sends you back to the last checkpoint, albeit with a time penalty.

It’s this careful to and fro between flat out fury and that magic ‘one more go’ feeling which made the original Trials so addictive and Trials Evolution takes this one step further.

The Evolution of the title is very apt. This isn’t a brand new experience, it’s basically the same motorbike madness that we all experienced with Trials HD, but it’s been tweaked and twisted to create something better. Tracks are now unshackled from their warehouse surroundings and let loose in various terrains; the countryside, a sewage farm and industrial areas are all waiting to trip you over.

Scenery makes a huge difference, especially when you factor the time of day into account. Dusk challenges, with headlights shining off the next lethal obstacle, are harder to judge and prove a match for many Trials veterans and the vast challenge of hills and rocks create a whole new experience to wood and metal ramps and bars.

Yet it so feels as if Redlynx have created an easier path into the game for newcomers. The first few tracks ease you in to the balancing and stop-start of the accelerator, the red button always on hand to start again should something go wrong. In fact, the game won’t mind you pressing that little button over and over until you get to the end. The only thing standing in your way is your pride and competitive streak.

Leaderboards are the ace up Trials Evolution’s sleeve. They provide constant challenge from friends and strangers as you race to rack up both a better time and less restarts in order to compete. The leaderboards are really just old-style arcade scoreboards in a modern day connected world, but when you’re 2 seconds slower than the guy in front there’s only one thing you can do; try again.

Evolution does give you another option, though. This time it packs simultaneous online racing into the game. Either racing over standard courses from the game or downloadable creations, you’re standing side-by-side with the enemy, all competing at the same time to get to that finish line. In short, it’s racing done proper. Perhaps it seemed like the next logical step to the asynchronous play, where dots show the position of your rivals, but it certainly adds yet another flag for Evolution to wave in its bid to become president of the gaming world.

Sony might have the copyright on Play. Create. Share, but Redlynx know how to create a track editor and they’re fully aware how important this soon becomes to those who’ve either finished the game or want a new challenge. There are so many parts to use and now more scenery to race on than ever before that the options to create are endless. Those simply looking to play the new tracks have a very quick and easy route to download new courses and will be instantly able to play them.

Yet, it all comes back round to the main body of the game and the Swear. Rinse. Repeat. Formula that makes Trials Evolution the fastest selling Xbox Live Arcade game to date and a title much loved by many, including me.

10/10
Wed 25/04/12 at 16:26
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Good review. Nice to see a few more companies investing a little time in replayability through the use of editors and level builders. It does seem to be more common just lately, and let's face it, it can't be a bad thing!
Wed 02/05/12 at 09:59
"possibly impossible"
It's ok as long as the level builder is good.

Trials is ok, it's not the easiest to use and the camera angles get in the way.

Put it this way; I've yet to finish building a track I'm happy with. Still, after playing a fair few downloaded levels, I can see other people are really making the most out of it and there are some very interesting levels, including stuff that doesn't even need a bike!
Mon 23/07/12 at 21:58
Regular
"I like turtles"
Right, I have finally gave in to temptation and bought this game.

Think it should be renamed GRRRRR..... it's so insanely frustrating and yet incredibly addictive. I really want to hate it because it's driving me insane but it's just basically...................great! Probably the best £10 I have spent on a game in a very long time, I just wish I wasn't so rubbish at it!

Good review BTW pb :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.