GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Leaking Hard Drive????"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/04/12 at 19:19
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just a real conundrum at the moment but has been happening for months:

One hard drive ... Western Digital 250 Gb

Free Space (as reported by Vista 64 bit) 120 Gb
Western Digital Diagnostics reports 130 GB and no disc problems

5 days ago I uninstalled Samsung Kies - used it for years, updated etc etc, it never worked, always a problem ... so uninstalled ... Hard Drive now reports Free Space 150 Gb!!!

I know Samsung Programmers don't do things in a 'compact way' but 30Gb? I don't think so!

However ... five days later and no installs etc etc ...

Vista now reports Free Space as 144Gb!

This morning it was 146Gb and the carpet isn't wet :¬)

Western Digital Diagnostics now reads it as PASS 154.68Gb.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

It's now reporting as 137Gb??? And the carpet is still dry;¬)
Mon 23/04/12 at 16:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
You can in fact turn "pre fetch" off, (if only I could remember how to do it!), and the "official" line seems to be that this is where most of the memory goes.

I've not actually tried this, but I would almost be willing to bet it wouldn't make a lot of difference to the matter.

Me too :¬)

CCleaner actually has an Advanced setting to clean 'Old Prefetch Data' which I have enabled ... but who knows? :¬)
Mon 23/04/12 at 16:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
In Vista its called SuperFetch and you can disable it in services. If you really think this is the issue, try monitoring Windows/prefetch directory as thats where it stores the cache.
Mon 23/04/12 at 15:26
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]The free space on my main machine at home varies by a good 35 Gb at times, with no apparent changes being made.

Thanks for that chas ... at least I can take great comfort from the fact there are two of us with the same scenario :¬)[/i]

You can in fact turn "pre fetch" off, (if only I could remember how to do it!), and the "official" line seems to be that this is where most of the memory goes.

I've not actually tried this, but I would almost be willing to bet it wouldn't make a lot of difference to the matter.
Mon 23/04/12 at 15:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
The free space on my main machine at home varies by a good 35 Gb at times, with no apparent changes being made.

Thanks for that chas ... at least I can take great comfort from the fact there are two of us with the same scenario :¬)
Mon 23/04/12 at 12:13
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
Thanks for that Hmmm, I admit it is strange and there are a lot of things going on 'under the hood', so to speak ... but I feel that the discrepency is rather too large for those factors entirely.

On start up this morning it read as 137Gb free space ... now, some couple of hours later, it reads 129Gb free space and still no damp carpet :¬)

It's entirely normal for Vista. I run two Vista machines myself, and I have spent hours asking myself the same questions before finally accepting that Vista just loves to spread out, take up space and then randomly give it back.

The free space on my main machine at home varies by a good 35 Gb at times, with no apparent changes being made.
Mon 23/04/12 at 10:28
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks for that Hmmm, I admit it is strange and there are a lot of things going on 'under the hood', so to speak ... but I feel that the discrepency is rather too large for those factors entirely.

On start up this morning it read as 137Gb free space ... now, some couple of hours later, it reads 129Gb free space and still no damp carpet :¬)
Mon 23/04/12 at 09:15
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
With Windows there are are lots of things going on 'under the covers' - it seems this situation crops up quite a lot in Vista.

Your browser(s) will store many temporary files - freeing up space intermittently depending on your settings. Apart from the normal temp files modern browsers do a lot of 'pre-fetching' of content to speed things up. So you download data even if you don't visit the web page! separate post coming on this hopefully

File size will also change depending on what's going on with the Windows 'pagefile' and also the workings of Windows Hibernation.

But the biggest file size changes you'll see are probably down to System Restore and ' Shadow Copy '. So when changes are made to the normal files you see on the hard drive this will get magnified by the Windows recovery processes.

[i]That's my best shot at what 'may' be going on[/s] :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 22/04/12 at 19:19
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just a real conundrum at the moment but has been happening for months:

One hard drive ... Western Digital 250 Gb

Free Space (as reported by Vista 64 bit) 120 Gb
Western Digital Diagnostics reports 130 GB and no disc problems

5 days ago I uninstalled Samsung Kies - used it for years, updated etc etc, it never worked, always a problem ... so uninstalled ... Hard Drive now reports Free Space 150 Gb!!!

I know Samsung Programmers don't do things in a 'compact way' but 30Gb? I don't think so!

However ... five days later and no installs etc etc ...

Vista now reports Free Space as 144Gb!

This morning it was 146Gb and the carpet isn't wet :¬)

Western Digital Diagnostics now reads it as PASS 154.68Gb.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

It's now reporting as 137Gb??? And the carpet is still dry;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.