GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"freindship and gaming,linked?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/12/02 at 19:05
Regular
They say that a friend in need is a friend in deed. This is also true when you're trying to blast your way through level after level of alien infested space ship, or battling your friend to the death. I'm talking about the link between video games and friendship. Now, before you brand this editorial as being gay, just bear with me. I'm going somewhere with this. When we were little, and I mean pretty small here, we used to play games like Tag, or hide and go seek. Now, the reason you played these games was because you were bored and you wanted to spend time with your friends. Well, we grew up and soon entered the real world. Pretty soon out carefree days were numbered, and it was time to grow up. In an age where information is at your fingertips and entertainment is even closer, we had no choice but to adapt. And I'm glad we did.
We turn to games for entertainment and enjoyment, and it was only logical to move that over to group activities. It used to be that you would go over to Johnny's house, ask if he was home, and then go play tag. But now you and Johnny are all grown up. You have jobs, girlfriends, school, and some have Band (shameless plug for band geeks, w00t). Just as playing tag was appealing when I was a little kid, gaming is appealing to us now that we're all grown up. Usually once a week my friends and I get together to do some hardcore gaming. It's a great way to relieve stress and generally socialize with your buds. Every Saturday is movie and gaming night. Now, it's not really planned, but it's just been that way for a while now. We take in a movie, and we head back to whoever's house and proceed to kill/beat/out smart the crap out of each other. Usually we will take Time Splitters 2 (or whatever great FPS at the time) and all team up and take on some bots. We've gotten so used to each other's strengths, weaknesses, and tactics, that we usually don't even have to talk to each other to know what we're thinking. However, there IS the usual smack talking that goes on relentlessly.
I'm glad to see that Nintendo is bringing home some games that appease our appetites for multiplayer gaming. I think it all started with Goldeneye for the N64. It changed the way that multiplayer gaming was done. Now, we have games specifically built for multiple participants. The Mario Party series is the best example of this. Other games, like Time Splitters 2, or Super Monkey Ball (1 or 2), combine a killer single player side, and equally killer multiplayer side as well. More and more games are starting to "offer it all" so to speak. One of the coolest types of multiplayer ability is Co-op. Wherein you and your friend can take on the hordes of aliens (or whatever) together. It's a superb concept.
What I'm getting at here is that games have shaped who we are. Like it or not, we've been changed by entertainment technology. Some people thank that's a bad thing. Well, I have to say that it's an awesome thing. In a fast paced world where we live at the speed of light, we have to find our own ways to relax. And gaming is just one of them. So, call up your buds, go to the Food Lion (or local Super Market) and pick up some munchies, and sit down for a night of gaming. Because you're not just playing a game, you're getting to know your friends better.
Thu 19/12/02 at 13:57
Kyz22 wrote:
> Some will argue that gaming with your friends makes the friendship
> stronger, others will aruge that it lessens a friendship and distances
> you because of different tastes in games. As for me, I will just sit
> in the middle and smile politely.

Games do normally make friendships stronger,staying over at each others houses staying up half the night playing games.But then two player games weaken it because if it is like football someone has to win and someone has to lose.Then the one who wins won't shut up for the rest of the night and if you ask them for a rematch they say no I am the champion I beat you.

As you can tell I normally am the loser in these football matches and most times i laugh but other times a very large vien comes on the top of my head and I just want to...
Mon 16/12/02 at 19:46
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
phi11ip wrote:
> Needs a few spaces!
>
> Eyes!
>
> Argh!

whats the Eyes and Argh supposed to mean?
Mon 16/12/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
See, now you've affected my typing!

Needs a few paragraphs!

Argh!

Eyes!
Mon 16/12/02 at 18:49
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Needs a few spaces!

Eyes!

Argh!
Mon 16/12/02 at 18:35
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
It's not that good,is it?
Mon 16/12/02 at 18:23
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
GAD.
Mon 16/12/02 at 18:22
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
good
Sun 15/12/02 at 19:08
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Some will argue that gaming with your friends makes the friendship stronger, others will aruge that it lessens a friendship and distances you because of different tastes in games. As for me, I will just sit in the middle and smile politely.
Sun 15/12/02 at 19:05
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
They say that a friend in need is a friend in deed. This is also true when you're trying to blast your way through level after level of alien infested space ship, or battling your friend to the death. I'm talking about the link between video games and friendship. Now, before you brand this editorial as being gay, just bear with me. I'm going somewhere with this. When we were little, and I mean pretty small here, we used to play games like Tag, or hide and go seek. Now, the reason you played these games was because you were bored and you wanted to spend time with your friends. Well, we grew up and soon entered the real world. Pretty soon out carefree days were numbered, and it was time to grow up. In an age where information is at your fingertips and entertainment is even closer, we had no choice but to adapt. And I'm glad we did.
We turn to games for entertainment and enjoyment, and it was only logical to move that over to group activities. It used to be that you would go over to Johnny's house, ask if he was home, and then go play tag. But now you and Johnny are all grown up. You have jobs, girlfriends, school, and some have Band (shameless plug for band geeks, w00t). Just as playing tag was appealing when I was a little kid, gaming is appealing to us now that we're all grown up. Usually once a week my friends and I get together to do some hardcore gaming. It's a great way to relieve stress and generally socialize with your buds. Every Saturday is movie and gaming night. Now, it's not really planned, but it's just been that way for a while now. We take in a movie, and we head back to whoever's house and proceed to kill/beat/out smart the crap out of each other. Usually we will take Time Splitters 2 (or whatever great FPS at the time) and all team up and take on some bots. We've gotten so used to each other's strengths, weaknesses, and tactics, that we usually don't even have to talk to each other to know what we're thinking. However, there IS the usual smack talking that goes on relentlessly.
I'm glad to see that Nintendo is bringing home some games that appease our appetites for multiplayer gaming. I think it all started with Goldeneye for the N64. It changed the way that multiplayer gaming was done. Now, we have games specifically built for multiple participants. The Mario Party series is the best example of this. Other games, like Time Splitters 2, or Super Monkey Ball (1 or 2), combine a killer single player side, and equally killer multiplayer side as well. More and more games are starting to "offer it all" so to speak. One of the coolest types of multiplayer ability is Co-op. Wherein you and your friend can take on the hordes of aliens (or whatever) together. It's a superb concept.
What I'm getting at here is that games have shaped who we are. Like it or not, we've been changed by entertainment technology. Some people thank that's a bad thing. Well, I have to say that it's an awesome thing. In a fast paced world where we live at the speed of light, we have to find our own ways to relax. And gaming is just one of them. So, call up your buds, go to the Food Lion (or local Super Market) and pick up some munchies, and sit down for a night of gaming. Because you're not just playing a game, you're getting to know your friends better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.