GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Name That Game"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/02/02 at 08:55
Regular
It's a console game. You start off by choosing your character's attributes (male/female, short/tall, hair, features, color of skin etc).

You then start the game in a medieval looking village in an unknown land, you can switch from 3rd person perspective (default) to 1st person perspective to gain a better look at your surroundings.

You can enter any building (some doors may be looked if it's night time making you return during the day), you can go in any direction, you can walk up to people and speak to them. Using the left analogue stick for walking forwards and backwards or strafing left and right, and the right analogue stick for looking in all directions, you start to explore.

You are equipped with a rusty dagger, and the more you use it to fight against any attackers the more your blade handling skill increases. You can loot your victim's bodies for gold and other items, perhaps getting a crossbow or a new sword, a better tunic and so on. Changing to a different weapon allows you to develop skills for that particular class of weapon.

You decide to make your fortune and fame by heading out from the village along the King's Road to the major city in your region. Along the way you may be given things to do by the people you meet or decide to help people in trouble, or even cause trouble yourself, the more good/bad you do alters your 'good/evil' rating, and also this affects what kind of monsters will attack you and how others interract with you.

Some quests may lead you off into unknown lands before you even reach the city, and you may decide to explore these more rather than pursure your original aim. These lands have people and cities of their own. You may even sign up as a guard on a trade caravan to get you where you want to go, or join a local garrison, or sign up on a ship's crew and sail the world. For each trade, though, you'll need to have developed specific skills, if you haven't got them you'll have to either develop them or find out how to acquire them, maybe by being taught or by finding a skill book and learning that way.

Because the game is free roaming, you can go anywhere at anytime, although some areas, like caves, may contain things that you just aren't ready to face yet. If you die, there's the possibility that you may drop an item or two before the spirits resurrect your body in the temple of the last town you visited.

The course of the game is compeletely affected by how you play it. You could end up being a General commanding thousands of troops in the King's Army, a merchant of various goods, a villain, perhaps working for a thieves' guild, a do gooder helping others out with tasks that they set you, an explorer, gaining knowledge of the contries of this world, a collector of rare antiquities. There is even an option to select which town you want to live in and have local craftsmen design your house and build it, or you could buy an existing one.

There is no limit to the skills that you can learn and develop, as they develop you gain extra moves, some rumoured even to have magical properties, which again need to be developed.

The overall pursuit of the game IS a specific one, the ending is a titanic battle between yourself and the plane of Gods that currently rule over this world (8 good gods, 8 bad gods, 1 overall Deity) so that the people of this world are free to choose their own course.

Name that game.
(If it isn't out yet, make it so that I can play it please).
Fri 15/02/02 at 08:55
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
It's a console game. You start off by choosing your character's attributes (male/female, short/tall, hair, features, color of skin etc).

You then start the game in a medieval looking village in an unknown land, you can switch from 3rd person perspective (default) to 1st person perspective to gain a better look at your surroundings.

You can enter any building (some doors may be looked if it's night time making you return during the day), you can go in any direction, you can walk up to people and speak to them. Using the left analogue stick for walking forwards and backwards or strafing left and right, and the right analogue stick for looking in all directions, you start to explore.

You are equipped with a rusty dagger, and the more you use it to fight against any attackers the more your blade handling skill increases. You can loot your victim's bodies for gold and other items, perhaps getting a crossbow or a new sword, a better tunic and so on. Changing to a different weapon allows you to develop skills for that particular class of weapon.

You decide to make your fortune and fame by heading out from the village along the King's Road to the major city in your region. Along the way you may be given things to do by the people you meet or decide to help people in trouble, or even cause trouble yourself, the more good/bad you do alters your 'good/evil' rating, and also this affects what kind of monsters will attack you and how others interract with you.

Some quests may lead you off into unknown lands before you even reach the city, and you may decide to explore these more rather than pursure your original aim. These lands have people and cities of their own. You may even sign up as a guard on a trade caravan to get you where you want to go, or join a local garrison, or sign up on a ship's crew and sail the world. For each trade, though, you'll need to have developed specific skills, if you haven't got them you'll have to either develop them or find out how to acquire them, maybe by being taught or by finding a skill book and learning that way.

Because the game is free roaming, you can go anywhere at anytime, although some areas, like caves, may contain things that you just aren't ready to face yet. If you die, there's the possibility that you may drop an item or two before the spirits resurrect your body in the temple of the last town you visited.

The course of the game is compeletely affected by how you play it. You could end up being a General commanding thousands of troops in the King's Army, a merchant of various goods, a villain, perhaps working for a thieves' guild, a do gooder helping others out with tasks that they set you, an explorer, gaining knowledge of the contries of this world, a collector of rare antiquities. There is even an option to select which town you want to live in and have local craftsmen design your house and build it, or you could buy an existing one.

There is no limit to the skills that you can learn and develop, as they develop you gain extra moves, some rumoured even to have magical properties, which again need to be developed.

The overall pursuit of the game IS a specific one, the ending is a titanic battle between yourself and the plane of Gods that currently rule over this world (8 good gods, 8 bad gods, 1 overall Deity) so that the people of this world are free to choose their own course.

Name that game.
(If it isn't out yet, make it so that I can play it please).
Fri 15/02/02 at 09:03
"I hate that!!!"
A bit early for a GAD attempt isn't it?
Fri 15/02/02 at 09:27
Regular
This game does exist... but only on the astral plane.
Fri 15/02/02 at 09:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's on the Gamecube called

"Beardy's Beard of Beard"

It's an RPG
Fri 15/02/02 at 10:41
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It sounds like a game where Zelda-meets-LBA, as a FPS. I don't have a clue if it already exists or not, but certain features do already exist in other games!
Fri 15/02/02 at 11:20
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I once had a game called 'Ecstatica' on the PC. It had amazing graphics for the time, all spherical and everything. The best part of the game was definitely the bit where you could equip yourself with a bible and bash a priest off a church bell tower with it! Sick ain't it!?
Fri 15/02/02 at 11:27
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
i've played this.
it's Baldur's gate
Fri 15/02/02 at 11:53
Regular
i thought that it was baldurs gate or ice wind dale
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The only console version of Baldur's Gate is Dark Alliance, it doesn't have 1st person perspective, you can't pick a trade, it's not free roaming (it's all dungeons and paths, very linear).

Probably the most annoying thing about Dark Alliance is that you can't sweep through an area killing monsters again once you've cleared it the first time, allowing you to practice and level up before hitting the harder levels. I'd like to see monsters respawn on a level after a certain time.

Also, you can only assign points to attributes after you level up, whereas if you wielded a blade for long enough your skill with the weapon would increase more gradually over time, not a sudden jump once you acquire a certain number of exp. points.

The subquests were basically all concerned with finding and returning an item found in the next dungeon you were about to go to anyway, very linear.

Great game nonetheless, I'm still playing it :)
Fri 15/02/02 at 14:21
Regular
"I like cheese"
Goatboy wrote:
> It's on the Gamecube called

"Beardy's Beard of Beard"

It's an
> RPG

No surprises there then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.