GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CuteFTP & Uploading"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/09/00 at 20:17
Regular
Can an experienced kindly soul guide this absolute beginner
as to how to upload my files to my site using Cute FTP? Step by step instruction will be greatly appreciated.
Wed 20/09/00 at 10:35
Dear Freeola User,

Thank you for your enquiry, below is a description of FTP and how to use it
at Freeola

Understanding FTP

FTP stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL and is used to TRANSFER FILES over the internet from one computer's hard drive to another. When you view files and directories using your FTP software you are really looking at a hard drive somewhere else in the world.

When you use your FTP account at Freeola you are actually looking at Freeola's Server in Manchester. The Server will only allow you to look at your own directory this means your files are secure from outside interference. This first directory that you can access is called your root directory.

When you access your Freeola web space you will see a directory inside your root directory this will show up as a folder in your FTP software. It is named 'htdocs' which is short for HTML Documents and it is the directory that people looking for your website are sent to to view the site.

When you use FTP to send your web pages to the internet the site must be placed within the 'htdocs' directory and NOT the root directory. Be careful not to transfer your files inside the directory that you store them in on your computer

The page you would like to appear first when people access your website must be called 'index.html' in lower case so that browsers can find it. If you see a 'forbidden' error when trying to access your site, it is likely that either you have not created an 'index.html' or it is in the wrong directory.

To protect your files FTP has to be accessed using your Connection User ID *, your Connection Password ** and the Freeola ftp server name ***(these will be requested by your FTP software)

Remember, to publish your site at Freeola you will need to dial in to Freeola on: 0845 200 3289

Your Connection User ID Your Connection User ID is the 7 digit number beginning with sr (eg: sr0012345). You were given this number when you registered your Freeola account. **

Your Connection Password

Your Connection Password is the 5 to 18 character password you chose when you registered your Freeola account.

If you do not have or know your Connection User ID or your connection password please contact Freeola support on: 08707 25 99 77.

Freeola's FTP server name is ftp.freeola.net

For more information please try http://freeola.com/support/support.html

Yours Faithfully,

Freeola Support

Steve Slack
Wed 20/09/00 at 09:43
Dave, look at the Support pages they are pretty accurate. I've been using CuteFTP without any problems - If I can, you should be able to!! The CuteFTP home site is quite good as well www.globalscape.com (If my memory serves me rightly!)
Tue 19/09/00 at 20:17
Can an experienced kindly soul guide this absolute beginner
as to how to upload my files to my site using Cute FTP? Step by step instruction will be greatly appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.