GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nation Of Gamers"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/02/02 at 15:02
Regular
In this day and age game designers are under a lot of pressure and high demand from the ever growing gaming nation.

Take 'Max Payne' for instance, ever since we have played and used 'bullet time' we expect every third person game to contain this brilliant gimic, but when they don't, e.g. 'Head Hunter' (relaesed this month) we down rate a perfectly good/great shooter because we feel that the game is missing a very important ingredient to make it a Block- Buster gaming title. Ever since the relaes of 'Metal Gear Solid' on the 'Playstation', gamers expect more out of games which makes the game designers job hard to please everybodys gaming tastes and needs.I know they do it for a living but i beleive that to produce a game today they need a mixture of most style of games all mixed into one. 'Deus-Ex' a superb PC game of '2000' and set to be a video gaming Blockbuster when released later this year on 'ps2' conatined a mixture of gaming from different gaming genres, it contained:

RPG
Action
Adventure
shoot em up
puzzle solving

The game was a huge success because most gamers could play the game because it contained everything to please a hungry nation of gamers. For game designers to do this in every game it would take a lot of time, but when we say time we complain that games are taking too long to be released and that the release dates are just being set back and back all the time!

'Metal Gear Solid 2' will contain everything to please gamers world-wide and it is guarenteed to be a huge success, but the game has been in the making now for years and people are getting tired of waiting for its release on March 8th, but when the game is released no body will remember the time and effort that went into designing the title and how long we waited for it.

As a nation of gaming lovers we are very hard to please. We used to be happy with '2-D' graphics and 'linear' story-lines but as designers have opened up a thriving and never-ending door of gaming bliss we have become a nation of complaining gamers that are very hard to please.

A good example is 'James Bond 007 In... Agent Under Fire', i beleive that the title has been passed by /far too quickly and we haven't appreciated the time and effort that the designers took to bring us the little things that we enjoy in gaming. Reviews have gone as low as '67%' which i think is criminal because the game should be up for some top awards despite a few flwas which most games contain today anyway! The game contained a mixture of 'Driving' and 'Bond styled adventure' but people didnt see what a great game it was they just said the flwas that the game contained!

Don't get me wrong i love a superb well desgned title like 'GTA3' and 'Gran Turismo 3' but i still like the middle of the road games that we harshly criticise. Games are now getting into an era where each week a world class title is being brought into our local stores and straight home onto our 'Next-Generation' consoles. I think we should slow down and appreciate the finer points of gaming at a Mediocre level and stop being a fussy gaming nation!
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:02
In this day and age game designers are under a lot of pressure and high demand from the ever growing gaming nation.

Take 'Max Payne' for instance, ever since we have played and used 'bullet time' we expect every third person game to contain this brilliant gimic, but when they don't, e.g. 'Head Hunter' (relaesed this month) we down rate a perfectly good/great shooter because we feel that the game is missing a very important ingredient to make it a Block- Buster gaming title. Ever since the relaes of 'Metal Gear Solid' on the 'Playstation', gamers expect more out of games which makes the game designers job hard to please everybodys gaming tastes and needs.I know they do it for a living but i beleive that to produce a game today they need a mixture of most style of games all mixed into one. 'Deus-Ex' a superb PC game of '2000' and set to be a video gaming Blockbuster when released later this year on 'ps2' conatined a mixture of gaming from different gaming genres, it contained:

RPG
Action
Adventure
shoot em up
puzzle solving

The game was a huge success because most gamers could play the game because it contained everything to please a hungry nation of gamers. For game designers to do this in every game it would take a lot of time, but when we say time we complain that games are taking too long to be released and that the release dates are just being set back and back all the time!

'Metal Gear Solid 2' will contain everything to please gamers world-wide and it is guarenteed to be a huge success, but the game has been in the making now for years and people are getting tired of waiting for its release on March 8th, but when the game is released no body will remember the time and effort that went into designing the title and how long we waited for it.

As a nation of gaming lovers we are very hard to please. We used to be happy with '2-D' graphics and 'linear' story-lines but as designers have opened up a thriving and never-ending door of gaming bliss we have become a nation of complaining gamers that are very hard to please.

A good example is 'James Bond 007 In... Agent Under Fire', i beleive that the title has been passed by /far too quickly and we haven't appreciated the time and effort that the designers took to bring us the little things that we enjoy in gaming. Reviews have gone as low as '67%' which i think is criminal because the game should be up for some top awards despite a few flwas which most games contain today anyway! The game contained a mixture of 'Driving' and 'Bond styled adventure' but people didnt see what a great game it was they just said the flwas that the game contained!

Don't get me wrong i love a superb well desgned title like 'GTA3' and 'Gran Turismo 3' but i still like the middle of the road games that we harshly criticise. Games are now getting into an era where each week a world class title is being brought into our local stores and straight home onto our 'Next-Generation' consoles. I think we should slow down and appreciate the finer points of gaming at a Mediocre level and stop being a fussy gaming nation!
Thu 14/02/02 at 16:14
Regular
"360: swfcman"
alik wrote:

As a nation of gaming lovers we are very hard to please. We used to be
> happy with '2-D' graphics and 'linear' story-lines but as designers have opened
> up a thriving and never-ending door of gaming bliss we have become a nation of
> complaining gamers that are very hard to please.

Don't get me wrong i love a superb well desgned title like
> 'GTA3' and 'Gran Turismo 3' but i still like the middle of the road games that
> we harshly criticise. Games are now getting into an era where each week a world
> class title is being brought into our local stores and straight home onto our
> 'Next-Generation' consoles. I think we should slow down and appreciate the finer
> points of gaming at a Mediocre level and stop being a fussy gaming nation!

I think it comes down to when im paying £30 - £40 every few weeks i have the right to be fussy about what i want. Im not paying that sort of money for some crap game that is brought out and get the developers start to think they can do this alot. You say appreciate the mediocre level of gaming? No thanks, im not wasting my money on games like that. If people start to buy the mediocre games more than the top class ones the developers will rub there hands and shout out 'easy money' and all we will get for that is rip offs of old hash games with nothing new or entertaining. We will get the likes of Fifa just being brought out over and over again with the same stuff just new menu screens, no more MGS 2's, no more GTA 3 and no more Pro Evo's.

I have a right to be fussy.
Thu 14/02/02 at 18:05
i own ONI for the ps2 and i think its a really good game, that i only classed as amediocre to poor title, i am not saying go out and buy rubbish games i am saying stop complaining about them because without them the gaming industry would have a dull and misty future! If games are delayed then people complain and if they are rushed people complain so these title must be appreciated as the dsgners are trying to please the public. I agree don't buy rubbish titles just don't complain about them when we want the games out as quick as we can!
Fri 15/02/02 at 15:47
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I agree with Pro Evo on this one - we should not accept mediocre games at all - It is not us that are impatient - we have no say at all on when games are published - It comes down to the publishers themselves who rush the titles out before the developers have a chance to add the final polish and do the final testing. It all comes down to the publishers wanting a return on their investment without giving enough consideration to the quality of the finished product. I for one will not shell out 30 - 40 quid on a game that I consider to be mediocre - one reason why I always like to at least try out a demo first.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.