GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PNG image file display problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/12 at 22:52
Regular
Has anyone has a problem displaying a transparent PNG file on a web-site hosted by Freeola using firefox, IE or google chrome.

The image file is in a subdirectory of the web-site /images

I’ve tried to move the PNG file into the htdocs directory but this has the same result.

It works fine when running the site on my local machine using Wamp server
Wed 16/05/12 at 19:58
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
webcity1 wrote:
however it is a good rule of thumb to stick to one case to avoid this sort of issue

Then in the end there is no discussion ... filenames are unique regardless of what server may process them!

And why should you care or even take these 'oddities' into consideration, with everything else that needs to be factored into the equation!?

So, stick to the old codies maxim .... KISS ;¬)
Wed 16/05/12 at 08:02
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
DL wrote:
No matter what the server is based on, all file names must match exactly ... if the filename is all captialized, then so must be the link to it, if the filename is all lower case, then so must be the link to it. As a rule of thumb, I always use all lower case file names, then I don't get this type of error[/i]

@DL

yes DL it's true the filenames must match. but I am simply clarifying what constitutes a match on one system is not necessarily the same as on another.

Windows (FAT/NT etc) and MAC filesystems are generally case-insensitive and Linux/Unix case-sensitive.

I can vouch for this because I have as I stated tested something locally on Windows with an Apache web server and only found an issue with an URL because of case sensitivity once uploaded to Freeola as I now know it is run on Linux/Unix servers

however it is a good rule of thumb to stick to one case to avoid this sort of issue
Tue 15/05/12 at 14:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
webcity1 wrote:
I might be a bit after the fact with this one, but I'm fairly sure the issue is actually that Freeola servers are Linux/unix based and, as such are case sensitive - i.e. if the hyperlink refers to a file called "MyPic.png" it must actually be named "MyPic.png" not "mypic.png" or any other case variation

I have been caught out myself as I usually test stuff locally (on a windows system) then upload and wonder "huh? but how can that be - that image file does exist"

=;-)

remember the computer is almost always right!

Your 'image file' does exist, but it has two distinctly different names. Use the wrong one and it's not the one that is intended. Look at it like this ... you have one file but with two different names!

This 'fact' has been there since Noah first built a site to advertise his forthcoming cruise ;¬)

No matter what the server is based on, all file names must match exactly ... if the filename is all captialized, then so must be the link to it, if the filename is all lower case, then so must be the link to it. As a rule of thumb, I always use all lower case file names, then I don't get this type of error
Tue 15/05/12 at 13:38
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I might be a bit after the fact with this one, but I'm fairly sure the issue is actually that Freeola servers are Linux/unix based and, as such are case sensitive - i.e. if the hyperlink refers to a file called "MyPic.png" it must actually be named "MyPic.png" not "mypic.png" or any other case variation

I have been caught out myself as I usually test stuff locally (on a windows system) then upload and wonder "huh? but how can that be - that image file does exist"

=;-)

remember the computer is almost always right!
Fri 06/04/12 at 11:02
"Are you sure?"
Hi Dambuster and welcome to the Freeola forums!

Glad you are all sorted with your transparent png issue :¬)

But you did confuse me a bit - are you saying Freeola's LAMP hosting doesn't allow file names for transparent pngs to start with a non-capital letter?
That sounds a bit odd if that's what you are saying...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 05/04/12 at 23:03
Regular
Problem solved. It appears that Wamp server isn't to fussy with the case in the image path name problem was filename starting with j instead of J - Thanks for reading the post though
Thu 05/04/12 at 22:52
Regular
Has anyone has a problem displaying a transparent PNG file on a web-site hosted by Freeola using firefox, IE or google chrome.

The image file is in a subdirectory of the web-site /images

I’ve tried to move the PNG file into the htdocs directory but this has the same result.

It works fine when running the site on my local machine using Wamp server

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.