GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC15: Fire in Paradise"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/09/07 at 22:31
"possibly impossible"
Molten lava fell from the skies like rain as the people fled to the small number of boats on the shore. It was always going to end in disaster, that much was assured.

Of course, it wasn’t helped at all by the air force strike over pay in the neighbouring island, the recent hurricane on the mainland and the political climate the area currently sat under with its nearest large allies. You could say It was as if the fates were against these people. Well, that, or they’d pee’d off their deity recently and thought they could get away with it.

You see, the people here on this little slice of paradise were once a hard working bunch that enjoyed the fruits of their labour, mostly because they worked so hard to achieve them. All that changed when the mainland occupants brought over their fancy technology; rotary harvesters, televisions, steam presses and whatever else seemed like magic at the time. The islanders were intrigued and it wasn’t long before most of them had started putting the machines to work. Oh, a few saw what was coming and tried to warn the rest, but they were sniffed at for being old fashioned.

Soon the people found more time to relax, they sat back and let the machines do all the work. Finding themselves blessed with more time, they laughed off any thought of using it to work even harder and began to get lazy. Some, the ones with the most machines or best knowledge of how they worked, found themselves in a good position to use their authority to provide leverage on all sorts of luxuries and started to really live it up at the expense of the less fortunate.

But the work wasn’t the only change brought about by the machines. The people were mesmerised by their usefulness and began to cut back on their offerings to their gods. Less and less people came with fruit and lambs, considering it a needless task now that famine and strife were assured to be things of the past. They even began to question the reasoning behind belief in such harsh beings, pointing out that the machines were far easier to put their faith in than invisible Gods.

So it was that the God of the mountains, provider of water and rains, saw no more pilgrimages, the Goddess of the harvest looked down upon empty alter stones and the Gods of famine and feast begged no audience with their followers. The people had left their gods by the wayside as easily as they had come to abide by their new tools and masters. And so I watched and waited. Oh yes, I was left out too. The God of the Volcano, once accustomed to foolish elders offering fruit and the odd maiden, saw no-one visit the old and ancient pathways inside the carved out caves. But that was fine. I mean, what in the gods names is a deity supposed to do with all that stuff? It wasn’t as if the maidens were that particular about their looks or anything. I had long ago ignored it all and waited for the right time when I could work my own kind of magic.

So here I am, I’ve waited a very long time for this. Fire and brimstone is my speciality and it’s about time the villagers remembered where their loyalties lay, not that I’m worried about any of that. It’s just an excuse really, if I’m totally honest. After all, what’s the point of being a God if you can’t let loose and have a laugh now and again? I watch another fireball smash into a local meeting hall and chuckle. As the world around me burns and panicked cries fill the air, I realise this is probably my finest hour in a very long time. What a perfect day for a spot of vengeance...
Fri 19/10/07 at 01:06
Regular
Too short!

I wanted more. I know how Gods should probably be quite polite and loving to their flock and what not, but I really wanted to -feel- the anger and frustration at the lack of sacrifice and offerings.

Good though, original. I just wanted it to be more!

And don't give me your 'oh being a dad is so hard' rubbish, they'll understand when they're older when you take more time to add more chapters to stories.

Great. Purple shiny star.
Mon 17/09/07 at 13:26
Regular
"not dead"
Enjoyed this pb, nice take on the progress of technology, with the Gods getting upset.
Sun 02/09/07 at 22:31
"possibly impossible"
Molten lava fell from the skies like rain as the people fled to the small number of boats on the shore. It was always going to end in disaster, that much was assured.

Of course, it wasn’t helped at all by the air force strike over pay in the neighbouring island, the recent hurricane on the mainland and the political climate the area currently sat under with its nearest large allies. You could say It was as if the fates were against these people. Well, that, or they’d pee’d off their deity recently and thought they could get away with it.

You see, the people here on this little slice of paradise were once a hard working bunch that enjoyed the fruits of their labour, mostly because they worked so hard to achieve them. All that changed when the mainland occupants brought over their fancy technology; rotary harvesters, televisions, steam presses and whatever else seemed like magic at the time. The islanders were intrigued and it wasn’t long before most of them had started putting the machines to work. Oh, a few saw what was coming and tried to warn the rest, but they were sniffed at for being old fashioned.

Soon the people found more time to relax, they sat back and let the machines do all the work. Finding themselves blessed with more time, they laughed off any thought of using it to work even harder and began to get lazy. Some, the ones with the most machines or best knowledge of how they worked, found themselves in a good position to use their authority to provide leverage on all sorts of luxuries and started to really live it up at the expense of the less fortunate.

But the work wasn’t the only change brought about by the machines. The people were mesmerised by their usefulness and began to cut back on their offerings to their gods. Less and less people came with fruit and lambs, considering it a needless task now that famine and strife were assured to be things of the past. They even began to question the reasoning behind belief in such harsh beings, pointing out that the machines were far easier to put their faith in than invisible Gods.

So it was that the God of the mountains, provider of water and rains, saw no more pilgrimages, the Goddess of the harvest looked down upon empty alter stones and the Gods of famine and feast begged no audience with their followers. The people had left their gods by the wayside as easily as they had come to abide by their new tools and masters. And so I watched and waited. Oh yes, I was left out too. The God of the Volcano, once accustomed to foolish elders offering fruit and the odd maiden, saw no-one visit the old and ancient pathways inside the carved out caves. But that was fine. I mean, what in the gods names is a deity supposed to do with all that stuff? It wasn’t as if the maidens were that particular about their looks or anything. I had long ago ignored it all and waited for the right time when I could work my own kind of magic.

So here I am, I’ve waited a very long time for this. Fire and brimstone is my speciality and it’s about time the villagers remembered where their loyalties lay, not that I’m worried about any of that. It’s just an excuse really, if I’m totally honest. After all, what’s the point of being a God if you can’t let loose and have a laugh now and again? I watch another fireball smash into a local meeting hall and chuckle. As the world around me burns and panicked cries fill the air, I realise this is probably my finest hour in a very long time. What a perfect day for a spot of vengeance...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.