GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"High Expectations= Disappointment?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/02/02 at 09:27
Regular
Have you ever waited a long time for a game to be released, only for it to come out and turn out either bad or just not as good as you thought it might be?
Can too much anticipation and/or hype put too much pressure on a game to be good but we end up disappointed if the final product is not perfect?

Metal Gear Solid 2. Will it live up to the hype and people’s expectations?
Having recently played the demo for the first time and seen some great looking videos, I'm convinced it will be great. But will it be as perfect as we hope? Or better than the original?

I looked forward to Perfect Dark for years, but when it finally arrived I was left wondering whether it was better than GoldenEye. I didn't think it was.
But after the gaming perfection that was GoldenEye, could it have ever lived up to hype? It’s still a great game though.

When I first saw the amazing video footage of The Bouncer when the PS2 was first announced I couldn’t wait to get it.
However, when it finally arrived after a rather long wait, it was a pretty poor game, and a real disappointment to fans of the 'scrolling beat em up' genre.
Cool looking bar room battling and matrix style special moves turned into monotonous looking pap (an all too common tale and something which has sadly seen the decline of the scrolling beat em up genre).
It was my great beat em up hope, but it failed.

I even looked forward to the original Army Men game on the N64!
The multi player screenshots made the game look like a really good laugh, but we all know how the series ended up don’t we (it hasn't ended, that's the problem!)

Daikatana, in development for what seemed like a lifetime and was supposed to be the first person shooter to beat them all. When it came out it turned out to be a stinker and a great disappointment to many FPS fans who were really excited about it.

Broken Sword 1 & 2 were, and indeed still are two of the best games ever made and I love them. Sometime this year (hopefully) the third instalment will arrive but will it be as good or better than the classic originals? Could it be worse? I certainly hope not.

The same applies to films.

The recent 're-imagining' of Planet of the Apes was going to be 'Arnie v the apes'.
The script went into development hell until Tim Burton picked it up and turned it into his own twisted vision minus the Arnie factor. It turned out all wrong, with both fans of the original and critics ending up disappointed.
But could it have ever been better than the amazing original? No.
The recent Planet of the Apes PC game turned out pretty bad as well after I had been looking forward to it for a while.

The big one was Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.
In the 15 or 16-year wait my brother and I must have spent hour upon hour talking about what characters, plot, weapons, ships etc could be in the new one.
Every Star Wars fan ended up feeling that many elements were missing.
It could never have lived up to the hype and expectation thrust upon it, because in every Star Wars fans mind there were hundreds of great hopes and ideas for the new one.
No characters could be better than the Han & Chewie combo.

When or if Indiana Jones 4 and Terminator 3 come out will they be able to live up to our expectations?
I can already imagine some great scenes and amazing special effects possibilities for 'T3' and I just hope it does the previous two justice.

Of course, not all highly anticipated games and films end up in disappointment.
Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Lord of the Rings equalled, or even exceeded our high expectations and prove that sometimes a long wait may be worth it.

Were there any games you had high expectations for but ended up being a slight disappointment, or did some hyped-up games actually measure up to your hopes?
Thu 14/02/02 at 09:27
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Have you ever waited a long time for a game to be released, only for it to come out and turn out either bad or just not as good as you thought it might be?
Can too much anticipation and/or hype put too much pressure on a game to be good but we end up disappointed if the final product is not perfect?

Metal Gear Solid 2. Will it live up to the hype and people’s expectations?
Having recently played the demo for the first time and seen some great looking videos, I'm convinced it will be great. But will it be as perfect as we hope? Or better than the original?

I looked forward to Perfect Dark for years, but when it finally arrived I was left wondering whether it was better than GoldenEye. I didn't think it was.
But after the gaming perfection that was GoldenEye, could it have ever lived up to hype? It’s still a great game though.

When I first saw the amazing video footage of The Bouncer when the PS2 was first announced I couldn’t wait to get it.
However, when it finally arrived after a rather long wait, it was a pretty poor game, and a real disappointment to fans of the 'scrolling beat em up' genre.
Cool looking bar room battling and matrix style special moves turned into monotonous looking pap (an all too common tale and something which has sadly seen the decline of the scrolling beat em up genre).
It was my great beat em up hope, but it failed.

I even looked forward to the original Army Men game on the N64!
The multi player screenshots made the game look like a really good laugh, but we all know how the series ended up don’t we (it hasn't ended, that's the problem!)

Daikatana, in development for what seemed like a lifetime and was supposed to be the first person shooter to beat them all. When it came out it turned out to be a stinker and a great disappointment to many FPS fans who were really excited about it.

Broken Sword 1 & 2 were, and indeed still are two of the best games ever made and I love them. Sometime this year (hopefully) the third instalment will arrive but will it be as good or better than the classic originals? Could it be worse? I certainly hope not.

The same applies to films.

The recent 're-imagining' of Planet of the Apes was going to be 'Arnie v the apes'.
The script went into development hell until Tim Burton picked it up and turned it into his own twisted vision minus the Arnie factor. It turned out all wrong, with both fans of the original and critics ending up disappointed.
But could it have ever been better than the amazing original? No.
The recent Planet of the Apes PC game turned out pretty bad as well after I had been looking forward to it for a while.

The big one was Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.
In the 15 or 16-year wait my brother and I must have spent hour upon hour talking about what characters, plot, weapons, ships etc could be in the new one.
Every Star Wars fan ended up feeling that many elements were missing.
It could never have lived up to the hype and expectation thrust upon it, because in every Star Wars fans mind there were hundreds of great hopes and ideas for the new one.
No characters could be better than the Han & Chewie combo.

When or if Indiana Jones 4 and Terminator 3 come out will they be able to live up to our expectations?
I can already imagine some great scenes and amazing special effects possibilities for 'T3' and I just hope it does the previous two justice.

Of course, not all highly anticipated games and films end up in disappointment.
Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Lord of the Rings equalled, or even exceeded our high expectations and prove that sometimes a long wait may be worth it.

Were there any games you had high expectations for but ended up being a slight disappointment, or did some hyped-up games actually measure up to your hopes?
Thu 14/02/02 at 10:49
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I tend not to get too hyped about games, There have been a lot of games that have been overly hyped and disapointing in a way. MGS2 is probably the most over hyped game of present time but I am looking forward to it but havwe avoided all articles, demos and spoilers just so I can experience it for myself.
But is there a lot we can do? Fair enough if the over hyped games were really bad but to be honest most of them are decent, if they turned out like army men then we have a reason to be disapointed.
Personally I think it is a lot better when a game comes along that has been given very little in the way of hype. GTA3 for example.
Oh and Broken sword games are brilliant, can't wait for the next one.
Thu 14/02/02 at 11:07
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
AliBoy wrote:

>Personally I think it is a lot better when a
> game comes along that has been given very little in the way of hype. GTA3 for example.

I agree with the GTA3 statement. I got my PS2 shortly before GTA3 came out and so i wasn't really looking foward that much but when i got it i thought it was fantastic.
For such a good game there was relativley little hype for it.
Thu 14/02/02 at 11:54
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Luckily, I haven't experienced my high-expectations being brought down by one game or console yet, and I hope it doesn't happen to me with the GameCube.

I did by Perfect Dark, about 18 months ago, and the only problem I had with it was the price (£50 I think) and the fact that I had to pay another £30 for the Expansio Pack! I hadn't played Goldeneye at the time, so I immediatly thought it was the best FPS on the N64 alone!

I got Goldeneye from SR least summer and I was slightly dissapointed with that, as I had already played PD. I did find that it was a briliant game, but I found that the graphics weren't as good and I felt that I should have been playing it a long time ago!

I also think that there were quite a few people who were dissapointed with The World Is Not Enough. Yes you can jump, but as it was from EA and not Rare, it just wasn't Goldeneye 2 to them, like they were expecting. I haven't played it yet, but it's apparently very easy, with some good background locations.

I look forward to playing the 007 Rare and Nintendo exclusve, which is apparently due out in the future for the GameCube!
Wed 04/04/12 at 21:45
Evenin......

Worsthorne is the suggestion for this Sunday.

I wont be out Sunday so if you could arrange a meet time etc ;)
Thu 05/04/12 at 07:30
Regular
Meet at the Hurstwood Car Park at 8.45am for a 9am start

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.