GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Feedback needed please......."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/02/02 at 23:01
Regular
www.horleyuk.com

Im currently designing a website at the moment and would be grateful for any feedback on it.

Im also running the website and its pure aim is to make me money. Basically I get people to submit their businesses to my website for a price and they get.... erm... exposure.

I'll make a little form for you to fill in if you want, to make it a little easier, but you dont have to use it:

----------------

Presentation: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Navigation: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Download Time: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Layout: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Content: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Other: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Suggestions: ............

----------------

Thanks for your time

David
Wed 13/02/02 at 23:01
Regular
www.horleyuk.com

Im currently designing a website at the moment and would be grateful for any feedback on it.

Im also running the website and its pure aim is to make me money. Basically I get people to submit their businesses to my website for a price and they get.... erm... exposure.

I'll make a little form for you to fill in if you want, to make it a little easier, but you dont have to use it:

----------------

Presentation: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Navigation: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Download Time: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Layout: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Content: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Other: ?/10 Comments Here.............

Suggestions: ............

----------------

Thanks for your time

David
Thu 14/02/02 at 00:17
Regular
"How Handy."
Right, I dont like giving marks out of 10 so I'll scrap that system and give you a few suggestions..

1- colours are a bit harsh, especially blue on the map of england.

2- avoid saying that your the largest travel directories in the UK. If you just put that is sounds like your lying because your clearly not, but putting predicted sounds like your still setting up and thats not the image you really want to portray.

3- redesign that Horley Life logo, that ones a scan yeah? looks terrible, your better off redoing it yourself.

4- Definetly drop the @hotmail.com address, it looks so unprofessional, either use an @horleyuk.com or use a form so they dont see what address its going to.

5- There is a gap in between the tabs and the bar at the top. it looks out of place.

6- make that banner do something. make it link to a page and make it animate or something. again it just looks out of place.

7- the submit business button looks wierd all on its own, either use a few buttons or none at all.

8- ditch the webtrends thing at the bottom. write your own counter and make it invisible.

Very good and very professional looking though. Sites are best if you make a first draft then keep changing the little things, like those above. Keep us posted on whether you make any cash or not.
Thu 14/02/02 at 06:15
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Ok, skipping the rating bit too. :)

Points to consider in my opinion

-Navigation.
You have 2 navigation bars, but they are essentially providing the same navigation options. Personally I don't like such things and I'm not sure if they serve any purpose. As it is, you could lose the top navigation and it would have zero impact on the site. Logically I'd guess you'd have something like main navigation at the top, left navigation providing links relevant to that section.

-The link colours.
I don't think you need a different colour for visited links, having browsed the site a bit, I have a multi-coloured left menu, it looks untidy.

-Fonts and Text
I'd consider a font change for the main text. I like verdana personally, but the current font doesn't look as professional as some others. Also I think the text could be formatted better, at present you have it all centred, which is ok in some places but when you have a whole page of centred text, it looks strange.

I don't know what your plans are exactly, but all the pages are static html files at present, I'd seriously consider scripting for it if you've not already. Maintaining the site will be much easier, and would allow you to add in such things as a search engine (very important aspect in my opinion).

The only similar site I can know of off hand is www.tour-britain.com it only concentrates on accomodation really in terms of listings but same principle as your own site.

Good luck anyway.

-G
Thu 14/02/02 at 07:50
Regular
Thanks for the useful info, exactly what I wanted rather than people just saying "Good website" etc.

----

"I don't know what your plans are exactly, but all the pages are static html files at present, I'd seriously consider scripting for it if you've not already. Maintaining the site will be much easier"

Any ideas on how to go about doing this?

----

"the submit business button looks wierd all on its own, either use a few buttons or none at all."

hmmmmm I need it to stand out, but not look out of place. Suggestions?

----

"colours are a bit harsh, especially blue on the map of england."

What about the main colours of the site, light green and yellow? Do you think Id be better off keeping it white?

----

"You have 2 navigation bars, but they are essentially providing the same navigation options."

I got this idea off SRs website as they have navigation down the left and top of the page. Good or Bad?

----

Thanks again for the input, keep the suggestions coming!

David
Thu 14/02/02 at 08:10
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Presentation: 5/10
Arghh!! the colors... a but on the "pastel" side and they all calsh cauing starin on the eyes.... I'm not a fan of horizontal tabbed navigation either, but why have you repeated the nav? If they have the same functionality you gonna end up confusing users as to why they are repeated... I'd loose on of them (prerably the tabs)

And why do people center all of their text... Studies have shown that onloine text should not be centered and no longer than 72 characters wide... May I suggest you look at the basic theory of usability?

You link colours are badly chosen too, but I could go on all day about this subject...

As for font's... PLEASE NO TIMES ROMAN!! this font is the worst font anyone can use in a web page, it's practcally unreadable and looks awefull... opt for either Verdana or Arial.

Change the @hotmail.com address, it looks so unprofessional, either use an @horleyuk.com or use a form so they dont see what address its going to.

Navigation: 8/10
Loose one of them... Other wise, solid and ok.

Download Time: 10/10
I cant really comment on this as my connection speed is rediculus... 4MB pipe!!

Layout: 5/10
See comment about the centered text...

Content: 4/10
Where? You need to work more on the ammount of content as this is looking very empty at the moment and gives the wrong impression of "lack of interest" Especailly as you make the claim of being the largest travel directory online!!

Other: 2/10
Lose the "What I've designed before" page... If your aiming for freelance work in web design, I'd hone your skills first.. A couple of the sites you use as examples: www.VillageDevelopments.com , http://www.undercoverparking.co.uk/, look really ameture especially as the graphics look like thayv'e been made with fog?

The counter... Go to go... Hit counters are irrelevant to users as everybody knows that most of those hits are generated from you testing the site!! The only stats you should be interested in is "Unique Users"

Suggestions: Look around the internet at similar sites and learn fom them. This doesn't look at all prfessional and could be structured and designed much better. Look at you target audience and age range.

You still have a lot to learn about site design, especially things like graphic creation, usability and general asthetics... With the tools available today, there should be no reason for you images to look that ropey!!

I know most of this sounds negative, but it's also honest, and feedback should be something you learn from and use to improve you abilities...

Good luck
Thu 14/02/02 at 08:15
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Dav1d wrote:
>"the submit business button looks wierd all on its own,
> either use a few buttons or none at all."

>hmmmmm I need it to stand out, but not look out of place. Suggestions?

Try explaining what the site is about and use this button there... I think you business model for making money isn't going to work as you site is meant to represent their interests and not look like a dodgy "web ring"

----

"colours are a bit
> harsh, especially blue on the map of england."

>What about the main colours of the site, light green and yellow? Do you think Id be better off keeping it white?

Just think about it, go to the library and look at colour theory and lran what coulors go with what.Even look at colour psychology and the effects certain colours have on people... This will make your life 10 times esier... If you knoew about design, you should know the answers to these questions already...

----

>"You have 2 navigation bars, but they are essentially providing the same navigation options."

>I got this idea off SRs website as they have navigation down the left and top of the page. Good or Bad?

SR's serve different functionality based on contextual focus... you just repeat the menu in two places... Theres a huge difference.
Thu 14/02/02 at 09:46
Regular
Presentation: ?/10 Comments
> Here.......5......don't like the colours much

Navigation: ?/10 Comments Here.............8

Download
> Time: ?/10 Comments Here.............7

Layout: ?/10 Comments
> Here.............9 easy to get around

Content: ?/10 Comments Here............i'm not giving you amark here as youve only just begun and so you haven't got a full quota.

Other: ?/10
> Comments Here.............

Suggestions:
> ............How big is Horley? Are you planning to keep it this size or eventually expand?

----------------

Thanks for your time

David
Thu 14/02/02 at 19:46
Regular
Thanks Tyla, definitley some comments in there I need to look into. Nice constructive feedback, even if it was a bit harsh ;-)

Anyone else?
Thu 14/02/02 at 22:34
Regular
http://horleyuk.com/test.htm

----

Right, I’ve redesigned the page and have altered it to suit all the points you lovely people have made! :-)

Im still stuck on a few points though:

- “all the pages are static html files at present, I'd seriously consider scripting for it if you've not already.” How? Where? When? etc

- “link colours are badly chosen too, but I could go on all day about this subject...” Please explain :-)

- The website looks a little too white now… and I don’t know what I can put in the space at the top of the page.

- Still not certain about the colour change.

- I cant get rid of that big white space between the main text and the links at the bottom

----

Thanks

David
Fri 15/02/02 at 20:06
Regular
Anyone?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.